Voip Telephony Blocked In Thailand?

Trevor25222

I'm trying to use VOIPStunt to make cheap international calls via Thai hotels' WiFi. No success at 3 places, all running at least 1Mbps. I can log-on to VOIPStunt but calls never connect.

Then I went to Indonesia, used a really-slow hotel WiFi at 100 kbps and connected perfectly. Could it be that Thailand is blocking VOIP telephony? I can't see that my computer is at fault because VOIP works in UK & Indonesia. Thanks.

Edited by Trevor25222

yes, but Skype is expensive... I use voipbuster.com and Rynga.com (free calls to Thailand - even mobiles)

Rynga looks like another version of Voipdiscount. With Voipdiscount you can also setup your own local number so people can dial in to you.

yes, but Skype is expensive... I use voipbuster.com and Rynga.com (free calls to Thailand - even mobiles)

Yes, Skype is more reliable but charges £0.016 per minute plus £0.038 connection charge. Since True Move charges only £0.021 per minute for Thai mobile-to-UK landline calls, there is little point in using Skype.

VOIPStunt is cheaper, sometimes offering connection-charge-only calls to selected countries, but when in Thailand the other party can't hear me! Yet I can hear them. And that's after testing my headset works correctly. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

It not blocked in Thailand ( Using it all the timehere ) but I notice recently that many hotels are blocking the ports used for VOIP.

Sykpe will work ok be cause it uses common ports that they cannot block or you cannot browse the internet.

BINGO ! That must be it. Are they doing it to rake in metered hotel phone calls after losing much to the cellphone market? Or maybe just incompetence setting up the WiFi? Thanks.

Those without problems likely have ADSL at home which isn't VOIPStunt/Buster-blocked.