Mobile Internet In South Thailad

radiola

A CAT CDMA USB modem is consistently you best bet for a wireless solution around Phuket.

Price is around 800THB / Mo for unlimited.

I don't know what their terms are (work permit or not)

but it doesn't hurt to bring a Thai friend with you.

It's 850 baht/mo for unlimited internet. If you go into Central Festival, CAT requires the work permit. The one in Patong beach said if no work permit, must prepay. Not sure if that has changed. I got mine almost 6 months ago.

and what is the speed?

Theoretically, 3.1 Mbps down and 1.x up. . And I've downloaded torrents, etc with this connection. The speeds are more than acceptable for everyday hi-speed use. Either that, or you pay 1-2 baht per minute at the internet shop.

I suggest buying the mifi. And if they are still running the 2 month free promotion, then definetly get it. It allows for more flexibility, especially if you have a wifi phone or will be using it for business.

Make sure you go into the connection settings and "force EVDO only". You'll know what i'm talking about when you get setup. Otherwise, the connection tends to drift from EVDO to 1x, even if evdo is readily available.

• 1 year later...

A CAT CDMA USB modem is consistently you best bet for a wireless solution around Phuket.

Price is around 800THB / Mo for unlimited.

I don't know what their terms are (work permit or not)

but it doesn't hurt to bring a Thai friend with you.

It's 850 baht/mo for unlimited internet. If you go into Central Festival, CAT requires the work permit. The one in Patong beach said if no work permit, must prepay. Not sure if that has changed. I got mine almost 6 months ago.

and what is the speed?

Theoretically, 3.1 Mbps down and 1.x up. . And I've downloaded torrents, etc with this connection. The speeds are more than acceptable for everyday hi-speed use. Either that, or you pay 1-2 baht per minute at the internet shop.

I suggest buying the mifi. And if they are still running the 2 month free promotion, then definetly get it. It allows for more flexibility, especially if you have a wifi phone or will be using it for business.

Make sure you go into the connection settings and "force EVDO only". You'll know what i'm talking about when you get setup. Otherwise, the connection tends to drift from EVDO to 1x, even if evdo is readily available.

is this system good enough for streaming rugby etc?