Us Fiance Visa, Meeting Held, Requested More Info

After almost 8 months we had my finance's interview scheduled for today. We thought we were very well prepared in documenting evidence of our relationship. All nicely arranged and labeled in binders showing pictures, emails, evidence of my financial support, copies of my passport showing well over 20 visits to Thailand. This was documented over the last 2 years although we have known eachother for almost 6 years only 2 of which where we were romantically involved.

She goes to the interview and all of the standard questions were asked, what she knew about me, my family, my job, my previous marriage everything.

And then the interviewer asks her how long she knows me and my finance tells the truth, 6 years, but 2 years as boyfriend and grilfriend. Just for reference my divorce was finalized 2 years ago. The interviewer then says I dont believe you were only invloved romantically for 2 years, I think it was longer. And hen asks my finance to provide some documentation that goes back longer and come back with that information for another interview.

My question and problem is, why would we have to produce more or show evidence of of knowing eachother longer? I thought we had to show evidence of a real relationship which I think we have clearly done. Are they thinking we may have had a relationship prior to my divorce and if so would we then not be able to get a visa? I really dont understand what they are driving for.

The fact is, we were friends before and therfore evidemce of our relationship is very slim. There was one time she had some troubel and I sent her some mpney, for which I have documentation, we were also able to scrap up a few more dated pictures but that is all we got.

Has anyone experienced this before? Are we losing this case? I tell you what if I was in the interview with her I would have asked how much more do we have to show? Why is it important if you believe we were romantically invloved for longer then 2 years. This is not a marriage court.

Does anyone know if I could go with her for the next meeting?

Please help1

I'm guessing of course -- as we all must on the basis of the limited facts -- but it's certainly possible that the consular official felt that you just didn't want to go through the hassle of documenting a six-year relationship, so you conveniently made it into a two-year one, and consular officials get unhappy if they think they're being fooled. Not saying that's what you're doing, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for the official to suspect it.

So put together what you have, including evidence of your visits to Thailand over six not two years, and try again. Not to change your story to create a romantic relationship that didn't exist, but to support your story that you've known each other for six years.

Remember that it's easy second-hand to not quite get all the nuances of the official's concern, especially with language and cultural differences.

I'm guessing of course -- as we all must on the basis of the limited facts -- but it's certainly possible that the consular official felt that you just didn't want to go through the hassle of documenting a six-year relationship, so you conveniently made it into a two-year one, and consular officials get unhappy if they think they're being fooled. Not saying that's what you're doing, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for the official to suspect it.

So put together what you have, including evidence of your visits to Thailand over six not two years, and try again. Not to change your story to create a romantic relationship that didn't exist, but to support your story that you've known each other for six years.

Remember that it's easy second-hand to not quite get all the nuances of the official's concern, especially with language and cultural differences.

I'd add that you should be happy that she wasn't rejected only asked to come back with additional info, at least you'll not have to pay the big $$$ again for the reinterview.

Further, you'd not be allowed to accompany her to the interview window, the Consulate stopped that a year or so ago. Guess they just had too many arguments with angry farangs when their GFs, friends, or whatever, were rejected, didn't need the hassle.

Mac

Thank you for the reply. I am still confused on exactly what the requirement is for evidence? I thought it was to demonstarte and prove you did in fact have a relationship, not the length? I had thought this was to show that you were not trying to pull some sort of Visa scam by getting a Visa for someone you did not know? Clearly we have shown that much.

Thanks again!

The overriding requirement is to be honest, whatever evidence you put forward. If the official thinks you're not being straightforward about one aspect of your application, then the official's going to doubt the rest of your application, as well. So the underlying question here -- assuming you're getting an accurate report of the conference from your fiancée -- is why the official believes you had a romantic relationship longer than two years.

I repeat what I said before about not relying 100 percent on your fiancée's report of the conference; she was no doubt nervous, probably even more so when it became clear the official had a problem with the application. It's even possible she misspoke at some point during the conference, and isn't eager to mention that to you. No doubt this was all stressful for her.

Edited by taxout

The overriding requirement is to be honest, whatever evidence you put forward. If the official thinks you're not being straightforward about one aspect of your application, then the official's going to doubt the rest of your application, as well. So the underlying question here -- assuming you're getting an accurate report of the conference from your fiancée -- is why the official believes you had a romantic relationship longer than two years.

I repeat what I said before about not relying 100 percent on your fiancée's report of the conference; she was no doubt nervous, probably even more so when it became clear the official had a problem with the application. It's even possible she misspoke at some point during the conference, and isn't eager to mention that to you. No doubt this was all stressful for her.

Thanks again. So, if they think we are not being honest about that 4 year period regarding whether we were romantically invloved or not, can they reject the application on that basis? Is it also that they would view someone who was married and having another romantic relationship as not qualifying for a visa? Is this a moral judgement as well?

Thanks again!

If the official believes you knowingly provided false information on the visa application, they can deny it. Period.

The problem created by providing false information on a visa application never goes away. Even if admitted, the applicant is always at risk of deportation should the issue later come to light.

Hi easttech

A Few Years ago, I went through a similar situation, My fiance went for her interview, we had a legitimate long term relationship, well documented, my fiance was asked how we meet, she answered honestly, then the interviewer , said that he did not believe her,asked for additional documentation, then when my fiance went back, they gave her a document, stating that her application was rejected, and that the case was under administrative review, nothing else, we were very upset because we did not know what happen.We could not communicate with anyone in the embassy, except by email,and then all we got was, " your case is under administrative review" nothing else, no explanation. I Posted in this forum for help, and everyone was very helpful, one reply suggested that I Google the term, found out that "administrative review" meant that the case was not rejecter,but simply sent to the States for further review.To make a long story short, a couple of months later a private investigator called me and asked me a few questions, apologized for the Inconveniency , and told me that he, had reviewed my case, was satisfied by my answers and that he would send a favorable report to the embassy, two weeks later we had our visa.

We are now happily married for two years and living in the US.

The moral of the story is that maybe you did not do anything wrong. There is a particular interviewer in BKK I had heard from other who had similar problems with him, they call him the " Fat Boy" he is apparently a large man, and many people had similar problems with him.

Hopefully he was not the interviewer, and even if he was, the supporting evidence you send would be sufficient. If it is not and your case goes to " administrative review" dont worry, it only means it will take a little longer.

If you have any problems, PM me and I can go in to more detail as to how I dealt with my case.

Good Luck

Hi easttech

A Few Years ago, I went through a similar situation, My fiance went for her interview, we had a legitimate long term relationship, well documented, my fiance was asked how we meet, she answered honestly, then the interviewer , said that he did not believe her,asked for additional documentation, then when my fiance went back, they gave her a document, stating that her application was rejected, and that the case was under administrative review, nothing else, we were very upset because we did not know what happen.We could not communicate with anyone in the embassy, except by email,and then all we got was, " your case is under administrative review" nothing else, no explanation. I Posted in this forum for help, and everyone was very helpful, one reply suggested that I Google the term, found out that "administrative review" meant that the case was not rejecter,but simply sent to the States for further review.To make a long story short, a couple of months later a private investigator called me and asked me a few questions, apologized for the Inconveniency , and told me that he, had reviewed my case, was satisfied by my answers and that he would send a favorable report to the embassy, two weeks later we had our visa.

The moral of the story is that maybe you did not do anything wrong. There is a particular interviewer in BKK I had heard from other who had similar problems with him, they call him the " Fat Boy" he is apparently a large man, and many people had similar problems with him.

Hopefully he was not the interviewer, and even if he was, the supporting evidence you send would be sufficient. If it is not and your case goes to " administrative review" dont worry, it only means it will take a little longer.

If you have any problems, PM me and I can go in to more detail as to how I dealt with my case.

Good Luck

Thank you. I will certainly keep your contact info. I only hope it does not come to that. We have been waiting soooo long already. Just glad we didnt buy tickets yet.

Thanks again!

Easttech, if the interviewer's questions were answered honestly it is probably just a matter of time before you get the good news. Right now there is a myriad of questions in your mind about what the "problem" is.

My wife's interview took no more than five minutes and centered around when and how she met me.

She was also asked what my contact address in Hawaii was. Two days later she had her visa.

I don't think having a relationship while going through a divorce is a problem. My attorney

wrote a letter to my fiancee at the time explaining why the divorce proceedings were taking such a long time. Evidently, he didn't think it was an improper relationship.

Many judges in the U.S. will not grant a divorce until all issues are resolved: property settlement, child custody, etc. It took me nearly five years of legal battling and I met my wife halfway through the process.

Good luck and please keep us posted. I really feel for you.

Hi easttech

Good Luck

Thank you. I will certainly keep your contact info. I only hope it does not come to that. We have been waiting soooo long already. Just glad we didnt buy tickets yet.

Thanks again!

Sirineou

I was curious, after your wife went back with more information did they actually talk with her, or simply gave her the letter you referred to?

Ok, so she went back to give them more documentation on our relationship, they would not give her any info, just took the additional information. They did however take her passport. Is that a good sign?

It is a very good sign :)

The reason they need the passport is to put the Visa stamp in it, I dont think they would have taken the passport if they did not intent to give her her visa.

Post # 12: I personally think it is because they are the government and you are a peon. They can do whatever the want because of that.

I would personally disagree: While many US Citizen - Thai Citizen relationships and marriages are legit, many others dis-integrate once upon American soil and these can create hellacious problems for the government service agencies stateside and for the US Embassy in Bangkok that served as the root of the problem. It is their right to exercise their discretion in granting marriage/fiancé visas; not your right to bring a 'fish out of water' to the US.

If they asked for her passport, you should have the visa shortly. Taxout gave you good advice, too. NEVER lie on a visa application or interview, telling any lie will get you rejected. The comment from Gonsalviz was uncalled for, these people are just doing their job.

Good luck on your marriage, best wishes for a happy future.

Post # 12: I personally think it is because they are the government and you are a peon. They can do whatever the want because of that.

I would personally disagree: While many US Citizen - Thai Citizen relationships and marriages are legit, many others dis-integrate once upon American soil and these can create hellacious problems for the government service agencies stateside and for the US Embassy in Bangkok that served as the root of the problem. It is their right to exercise their discretion in granting marriage/fiancé visas; not your right to bring a 'fish out of water' to the US.

Is it US Embassy's right to thwart the obscene acts committed by horny and irresponsible Americans freely entering Thailand? How many "Dudes" have fathered, then abandoned a child within Thailand's borders, or worse? No, current immigration policy is as obsolete as... the United States, whose time has come to face-up and now recognize itself as a second-rate and uninspiring country.

On edit, perhaps the OP can have his wife's name changed to something recognizable South of the Border.

Edited by Replogle

While the US embassy has the responsibility, to weed out illegitimate claims, they could certainly do a better job communicating with the petitioners, a simple two paragraph statement about the process, would go a long way towards eliminating a lot of stress from a lot of people.In my case it took a congressional inquiry to find our what was going on, all they had to do was communicate to me," your request for visa has not be denied, It has being referred to the state dept for further investigation,such investigation takes an average time of about 2 months, but you time may be longer..." a simple statement that would have saved me a lot of aggravation, instead, all i got from them was an email response stating " your case is under administrative review, you will be contacted when a decision is made"

Agree that asking for your fiancee's passport is definitely a positive sign. Most likely she will be contacted shortly to pickup her passport with the visa stamp.

Trying to weed out sham or convenience marriages is not an easy job for consular officials. I personally know

of two cases where money has changed hands for an arranged marriage. To my knowledge, neither marriage was consummated and divorce followed once the women had completed the naturalization process. This is the reason K1 applications are scrutinized very carefully for this type of fraud. Applicants are not given a hard time just for

the hell of it.

If some of you gents want to discuss how you think the USA Marriage / Fiancé Visa application process should be, fine ... I was just referring to the way it is today ... besides, why would you want to take your Thai partner to such a 'second-rate and uninspiring country' in the first place.

Personally, I have told any interested female looking to visit the USA and go to Disney World -- which was practically in my back yard in Florida -- that I would be happy to take them to Disneyland -- in Hong Kong.

Jazzbo, while many are fish out water a great many adapt to their new surroundings. Prior to marriage my wife, a uni grad, was an administrative aide in the Bangkok branch of a major U.S. company. She had visited Europe and much of East Asia. She owned several properties including the house she lived in.

After 5 years she enjoys living in Hawaii. She has many Thai friends here and is loved by my friends and family. After every visit to her homeland she remarks that we are living a good life. Incidentally, we live in a rural community, nothing like Bangkok where she was born and raised.

So, to each his (her) own.

Kuhn HI -- Regards to you and your wife ... However it is the 'fish out of water' situations that cause great problems for the State Department in Bangkok and Social services once in the USA at the State and local levels ... and I will not bother here to reference the extreme cases which are readily available.

After 5 years you and your wife are both well acclimated -- persons at the US Embassy in Bangkok are not clairvoyant and it is hard to pick out which situations will go well and which are disasters waiting to happen regardless of education, economic circumstances, social position, etc.

Edited by jazzbo

Is it US Embassy's right to thwart the obscene acts committed by horny and irresponsible Americans freely entering Thailand? How many "Dudes" have fathered, then abandoned a child within Thailand's borders, or worse? No, current immigration policy is as obsolete as... the United States, whose time has come to face-up and now recognize itself as a second-rate and uninspiring country.

On edit, perhaps the OP can have his wife's name changed to something recognizable South of the Border.

Not even sure what this is supposed to mean. Do you ever sober up?