Do You See The Value Of Hiring Architect...

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering if you see the service of an architect invaluable or with little value. Seems like a lot of expats here bypass the architect and just let a builder do it, or else they design themselves or pick a basic plan from 'the book'...

Mant builders here are not competent enough to build a house without an architect to guide them. if you are building a house and spending good money on the project I think it would be wise to spend a little more to make sure things get done right.

I think you have confused design with construction. Most local designers (architects, civil and M&E engineers) are only good with design and most have little or no experience on a construction site.

If you are asking if there is value in engaging designers to design your house, then it is not the same as asking if you will engage a designer to build your house.

I would never employ a designer to supervise the construction of my house...:blink:, nor would I employ a builder to design my house...:lol:

I have just started a project Site-Specific from Bangkok (http://asitespecific....wordpress.com/).

The advantage of a good architect that he can design a house which fulfils your needs and uses your plot as good as possible. Standard "mass production" plans often have the problem that they don't match well with your plot (e.g. views, orientation). I would recommend a standard plan if your plot is so big that you can place the house where you want (location and orientation).

A good architect can also help you finding a good contractor and managing and surveying quality and costs.

Before he RAN away I used an architect to design and build a house...he never did the CAD drawings and apparently hired a design engineer to help the CAD guy..sure he had a uni degree in architecture but...waste of space.

I finally did a fag packet drawing of what I wanted and used a design/structural engineer to do up the CAD drawings.

It's up to you as they say... but architects are not a necessarily good managers of construction of your funds and interests...he is in it for his "CUT" and as some poster said a good builder will find problems of which the architect would probably not be aware of and if he was then would save face above all...maybe.

There used to be a saying in my past life.... "...yesterday I couldn't spell engineer, now I is one"

I should add that the builder suggested I add four additional 30cmx 30cm additional concrete support pillars under the hitherto cantilevered concrete veranda as well as additional small roof stringers.......which he did....

Edited by David006

I voted yes. But saying that, have not a clue where or how to find a respectable architect.

They are around but the prices vary widely.

Much will depend on what size and budget of house you desire. If it is a simple single storey house with tight budget of Bt10k /sqm, then go for typical design and specifications found in your locality, and engage a builder who has an in-house design team.

If your desire is villa grade like those in resort places with a budget of Bt25k /sqm or more, look for an architect who is also tied up with an interior designer. Local architects tend to design the building from outside in, and they need an interior designer to balance back the use of interior space.

Before he RAN away I used an architect to design and build a house...he never did the CAD drawings and apparently hired a design engineer to help the CAD guy..sure he had a uni degree in architecture but...waste of space.

I finally did a fag packet drawing of what I wanted and used a design/structural engineer to do up the CAD drawings.

It's up to you as they say... but architects are not a necessarily good managers of construction of your funds and interests...he is in it for his "CUT" and as some poster said a good builder will find problems of which the architect would probably not be aware of and if he was then would save face above all...maybe.

There used to be a saying in my past life.... "...yesterday I couldn't spell engineer, now I is one"

I should add that the builder suggested I add four additional 30cmx 30cm additional concrete support pillars under the hitherto cantilevered concrete veranda as well as additional small roof stringers.......which he did....

What they charge at 5/10% of the build cost is quite scary in comparison to what they do.

If you have no idea what you want or no design skills yourself, then you need one.

I used a farang architect in Bangkok once....got rid of him because he was totally useless and i then completed it myself....

Now I design my own and get an engineer to make what I want fit and structurally secure.....but remember that the engineers here will over engineer anything.....just like the doctors are not sure what medicines to give you, so they give you a party bag of 4 or 5 different medicines hoping one of them will work.

And hence we see the many monstrosities literally not thought through and slung up here on Phuket.

Did you know it takes 7 years to qualify as an architect? Well at least in the UK. You get yourself one of those. So the rest of us don't have to look at your 'eyesore' every day.

I mean, set against the price of the final product... ?

Edited by evanson