Remit £S To Bangkok Bank Or Kasikorn Quicker?

In 1992 I sent a telex transfer of several thousand GBP to Bangkok Bank and was disappointed that they hung on to the money for 2 weeks before I could draw it.

Not sure they had Swift then. Is that any quicker and cheaper nowadays?

Never tried sending to Kasikorn, the old Thai Farmers' Bank, but are they any more efficient than Bangkok Bank in releasing funds? I hold savings accounts with both.

Alternatively, if I only required £1,000 spending money for a short visit, would I obtain virtually the same value by carrying £50 notes and changing at SuperRich? Thanks.

Edited by Trevor25222

When I transfer from the UK, HSBC to Thailand, the money is always in my Kasikorn account the next working day. Absolutely no complaints at all of their service from me.

To be honest, if you only want to exchange 1000 pounds I would exchange the cash at Superich but be sure to bring clean undamaged notes.

Edited by apetley

When I transfer from the UK, HSBC to Thailand, the money is always in my Kasikorn account the next working day. Absolutely no complaints at all of their service from me.

To be honest, if you only want to exchange 1000 pounds I would exchange the cash at Superich but be sure to bring clean undamaged notes.

I guess you were using Swift ... that's excellent service in one day, and I guess Bangkok Bank would have to match it to be competitive.

Thai ATMs cost too much now for withdrawals from foreign accounts. SuperRich's rates for GBP are excellent, so long as you go to the head office. Probably beats the transfer fee for smaller amounts.

Provided there are no public holidays at either end of the transaction the funds should be available to you inside 48 hours. If your home bank does not have a correspondent arrangement directly with your Bank in Thailand, there may be a further 24 hour delay while it is routed through a third Bank. I bring funds from my country in regularly and they have never missed being in my account with 24 hours of my home bank receiving the instructuion.

However for the amount involved you could well be in for charges of 20 pound at the UK end and maximum 500 baht at the Bangkok end. Consider the cash option if you have convenient access to a good note buying rate

Provided there are no public holidays at either end of the transaction the funds should be available to you inside 48 hours. If your home bank does not have a correspondent arrangement directly with your Bank in Thailand, there may be a further 24 hour delay while it is routed through a third Bank. I bring funds from my country in regularly and they have never missed being in my account with 24 hours of my home bank receiving the instructuion.

However for the amount involved you could well be in for charges of 20 pound at the UK end and maximum 500 baht at the Bangkok end. Consider the cash option if you have convenient access to a good note buying rate

Thanks. As a side issue are the ATMs at Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok region or a province vis-a-vis withdrawal fees for a Thai account opened in Bangkok?

Transfer from RBC Canada to BB the other day, money available same day. But.....when I asked them about the transfer before I did it....they originally said a hold of 3-7 banking days; which of course never happened.

......They also gave a better rate than the one posted.

Edited by Canada

Kasikorn bank is by far the quickest. The same amount transferred within an hour of each other, from either the UK or NZ, will be accessible from NZ the same morning(10 or 11 am) at Kasikorn and the next morning from the UK every time. Whereas to Bnk bnk takes on average up to 2 days before release. To date Kasikorn has been a bit less expensive too.