Replacement Turbo (And Control?)

soundman

5 Year old Fortuna. - 130k Km's.

Turbo has packed it in and Toyota want 50,000B for a new one plus 3,000 B for some sort of control box.

Is this what factory turbo's are really worth or are they yanking my chain?

Thanx for any input. :)

Note:

(This same dealership tried to charge me 30,000B for an aircon evaporator for a Camry, I subsequently bought the [genuine Toyota] unit for 11,000B and had it fitted for 1000B by a local air guy who did a good job - so this is why I am scheptical on the turbo price.)

50k for a replacement VGT turbocharger with its seloniod.

expensive,

send me a pm,

i have them for about 30k. (and they are slightly expensive compared to tradiatonal turbochargers-vn/vgt cost quite a bit more)

i would recommend doing a piggyback kit,

along with a upgrade stage 1 turbo 04hl with option to use std swing valve wastegate,

and oil cooling lines for about the same money toyota is asking for just a replacement.

you would obtain around 220hp-230hp easily.

if you want better response and flow etc,

opt for headers and intake. it will flow alot better and for a little priemum on top,

and using an external wastegate to avoid boost spike.

this would give you around 240hp and grt response.

if you want a simple turbo swap to std vgt turbo that can easily be done, PM me if you are intrested.

50k for a replacement VGT turbocharger with its seloniod.

expensive,

send me a pm,

i have them for about 30k. (and they are slightly expensive compared to tradiatonal turbochargers-vn/vgt cost quite a bit more)

i would recommend doing a piggyback kit,

along with a upgrade stage 1 turbo 04hl with option to use std swing valve wastegate,

and oil cooling lines for about the same money toyota is asking for just a replacement.

you would obtain around 220hp-230hp easily.

if you want better response and flow etc,

opt for headers and intake. it will flow alot better and for a little priemum on top,

and using an external wastegate to avoid boost spike.

this would give you around 240hp and grt response.

if you want a simple turbo swap to std vgt turbo that can easily be done, PM me if you are intrested.

5 year old I believe there is no VN/vgt, just a simple turbo, shouldnt cost more than 18-20k baht. Swap is very simple job.

130k km lifetime indicates engine has often been stopped before turbo has cooled down. Installing a new turbo and car used same way, I would suggest a timer delaying engine stop 3-5 minutes after key has been removed

Thanx for the feedback guys.

The control unit has apparently shorted out, however, I suspect something dodgy here as there are none in stock from Toyota (1 month wait) because many units were damaged during the recent floods. (My unit was not submerged in water this year)

The sales people at Toyota are most dissapointed I'm finding another turbo unit elsewhere at a fraction of their quoted price. :rolleyes:

Transam - Fully Synthetic OW-40 engine oil.

Kata - yep I suspect no cool-down time as the culprit. :whistling:

Phil - thanx for the feedback - will see how I go with it. Cheers.

Hey mate,

check with toyota which turbo model is your std and they expect to replace,

the eletronic control box is the seloniod for the VN turbo, and electronic seloniod that controls

the variable vains.

2005 onwards 3l tend to use the VN turbo (new generation commonrail)

its always a wise idea to let the engine oil run before cranking, (by turning the key once before cranking-when all the dash lights are on), further more allow 2-5mintue warm up on idle and 2-5mins cool down after running (fitting a turbo timer will allow you to turb of the ignition and lock the doors while it idle to cool down by it self and self times itself to shutdown). -thus it doesnt waste your time to sit there waiting for it to cool down.

your turbo being damaged, did they tell you what has been damaged, if its the wheels, oils etc (you will face smoke problems) vs selonoid issue. if it is selonoid it is possible to change it without swapping the entire turbocharger. ask toyota what they can do for you, and if they dont want to touch it, than its time to consider a garage to do it for you.

becare ful as VN/VGT turbo is highly prone to damage if its not setup correctly.

Thanx for the feedback guys.

The control unit has apparently shorted out, however, I suspect something dodgy here as there are none in stock from Toyota (1 month wait) because many units were damaged during the recent floods. (My unit was not submerged in water this year)

The sales people at Toyota are most dissapointed I'm finding another turbo unit elsewhere at a fraction of their quoted price. :rolleyes:

Transam - Fully Synthetic OW-40 engine oil.

Kata - yep I suspect no cool-down time as the culprit. :whistling:

Phil - thanx for the feedback - will see how I go with it. Cheers.

If only the control box for VN solenoid is shorted, it should be simple to disconnect it and provide voltage to solenoid to stay open when engine running. Engine will now have a turbo lag as old days turboengines (not much tourque before 2000rpm), but max power will be same. That is if turbo itself is still ok.

your turbo being damaged, did they tell you what has been damaged, if its the wheels, oils etc (you will face smoke problems) vs selonoid issue. if it is selonoid it is possible to change it without swapping the entire turbocharger. ask toyota what they can do for you, and if they dont want to touch it, than its time to consider a garage to do it for you.

becare ful as VN/VGT turbo is highly prone to damage if its not setup correctly.

Once again - thanx for contributing your knowledge to the forum. :)

I have visually inspected the innards (the turbo is a variable vane model) - the turbo vanes on the exhuast side had been chewed away so only about half of each vane remained. The mechanic explained that this was caused by the variable vane making contact with the turbo vane, however, I could not for the life of me see how this was possible.

Secondary to that, the unbalanced turbo rotor appears to have damaged the bearings, it is almost completely ceased up.

Turbo cool down time ? This is new to me, can someone explain. Thanks

totster :D

First a primer on how turbo's work:

Next, a video showing how hot turbo's can get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RpGKP_FsTc

A typical turbocharger spins at around 50,000-140,000 RPM (some faster), and this along with the extreme heat conditions means the central bearings require a constant supply of oil to keep it all spinning instead of seizing. Switching off the oil flow (i.e. stopping the engine) when a turbo is still red hot can lead to deformation of the bearings themselves and/or cooking of the oil around the bearings which ends up limiting or even blocking oil flow.

Allowing a turbo engine a little cool down time is all that's needed to mitigate these sort of problems and can have a dramatic effect on turbocharger life.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Turbo is damaged thats to say the least,

its better to change both turbo and selnoid. to be on the safe side.

i would do a turbo replacement swap,

use 5-45w oil (repsol super) is a good turbo diesel oil,

allow for turbo warm up and cool down period.