Best Indian Restaurant In Cm Where ?

bangkokcitylimits

Being an absolute fan of Indian food (much more then Thai) always glad to be in Vientiane again, at the boulevard there's an Indian with real enjoy food and I don't mind going there 3 times a day.

Used to visit few Indians in Chiang Mai, but all of them not the real thing or even poor, seem not very passionate with their products and it's missing the 'yummy' factor..

One opposite Heavens Beach who moved from Chrunpratet road some years ago (he used to be better), one near Sompet market, another one opposite the south gate, I gave up all of them. (the Vientiane experience spoiled me?) :lol:

Is there actually an interesting Indian restaurant somewhere else in Chiang Mai, perhaps in a hotel ?

keema_matar_%20masala_channa.jpg

maybe you can try the indian place in the Chedi Hotel and tell us what you think of it.

Or use the money to take a day trip to Delhi. wink.gif

There are no best Indian restaurant's in Chiang Mai.....there are Indian restaurants though.

I could make that trip, but are you sure there are Indian restaurants in Delhi ?

I haven't been for a while, but I have always enjoyed New Delhi. In the backpackers Reggae strip (just up from the UN Irish).

Slow, but in my mind, the best (I haven't tried the Chedi...)

Think I am going to MealsOnWheels it right now.

maybe you can try the indian place in the Chedi Hotel and tell us what you think of it.

There are no best Indian restaurant's in Chiang Mai.....there are Indian restaurants though.

I could make that trip, but are you sure there are Indian restaurants in Delhi ?

The Chedi is quite expensive, but probably the best you'll get in Chiang Mai.

As I said, there ARE Indian restaurants in here, but none I'd recommend if you are into good Indian food.

Chedi sounds interesting. I've heard its good. I've heard it's expencive. So how much are we talking for a curry (with trimmings) in Chedi?

New Delhi does the best Indian food I've had in Chiang Mai, hands down. Well worth the infamous wait.

Chedi sounds interesting. I've heard its good. I've heard it's expencive.

A friend had a sandwich there a few days ago and said that it was not very good and very expensive. That scared me off the Indian food even though everyone said it was good a year or two ago. Has anyone eaten there recently?

Chedi sounds interesting. I've heard its good. I've heard it's expencive. So how much are we talking for a curry (with trimmings) in Chedi?

New Delhi does the best Indian food I've had in Chiang Mai, hands down. Well worth the infamous wait.

Just had mine delivered from New Delhi (MOWFY) - not even that long a wait!

1 309458 Fish Pakora 1 95.00

2 309492 Kari Pakora 5 475.00

3 309493 Dhaal Makhani 3 285.00

4 309556 Chicken Keema Naan1 65.00

5 309539 Fish Karahi 1 145.00

6 309518 Mutton Jalfrezie 1 145.00

7 309548 Jeera Pulao 1 45.00

Very nice (I stalked up on a few dishes). I guess my only complaint is that the Dhaal, the Jalfrezie, and the Karahi were all quite similar (but good). Oh, the Keema Naan could use more Keema. Both fish dishes were very generous.

I love their Kari (Khadi - yogurt curry) - and the pakoras were lighter and fluffier than I remember them. Lots of nice seasonings in the food here - can really taste the freshness of the spices. Not overly salty or oily.

Very much authentic Indian cuisine (Punjabi) - no concessions to Thai tastes.

I don't know why people like Royal so much, and don't even mention New Delhi (which is virtually next door) - far superior in my opinion. Of course, I don't eat there - I get it delivered. So the slowness of the kitchen is not really an issue for me...

Edited by wjmark

actually i would recommend Le Spice. i had dinner there a couple of weeks ago and it was very light on the oil and spices. Other indian restaurants that i have tried are a bit overkill with Garam Masala.

Edited by tigerbeer

<br />
<br />maybe you can try the indian place in the Chedi Hotel and tell us what you think of it.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />Chedi is another name for Mandarin Oriental right ?  <br /><br />Do I need to bring a bulk of $$ ?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Nope. Two totally seperate, expensive, hotels.

The Chedi is at the junction of Sidornchai Rd and Charoenprathet Rd and surrounds the old British Consulate building, in which 2 full time Indian chefs do their stuff. Was excellent about 2 GMs ago, tasty and big portions (especially the breads) but not so sure now.

The Oriental Dhara Dhevi north of Superhighway and on the right of the old Borsang Rd before Central Ring Rd, has several restaurants but no Indian speciality to my knowledge. Service, especially in the Chinese dept, used to be superb, but since business fell off badly, I hear the staff are apathetic.

Royal India to me is, on average, the best in CM, but no-one has mentioned Bollywood yet. I hear varying reports, the last one not good.

In Vientiane and all other Laos tourist spots, the Nazim's are all excellent. Is that the one you use to tantalise us, without naming it??

In Vientiane and all other Laos tourist spots, the Nazim's are all excellent. Is that the one you use to tantalise us, without naming it??

Nazim, yes I remember that name now.

Very simple setting and normal prices but 'excellent' is indeed the only right qualification, addicting place ! A building or 5,6 WEST of the Maekong Minimart (MM now with coffee/internet on the rooftop !)

Perhaps I will move to Vientiane, it has many good qualities that I miss here, and very good visa options.

No good ones in Chiangmai, The best in Thailand was in a small Muslim hotel just near Khaosan. Really fantastic and very cheap.

But no alcohol. But I bought a flask with me, no one minded.

Nazim, yes I remember that name now.

Very simple setting and normal prices but 'excellent' is indeed the only right qualification, addicting place ! A building or 5,6 WEST of the Maekong Minimart (MM now with coffee/internet on the rooftop !)

Perhaps I will move to Vientiane, it has many good qualities that I miss here, and very good visa options.

Slightly off topic, but what are the main qualities for you that Vientiane has, that Chiang Mai doesn't? It's always interesting to hear points of view, from someone, who doesn't think Chiang Mai is the centre of the universe. smile.gif

Slightly off topic, but what are the main qualities for you that Vientiane has, that Chiang Mai doesn't? It's always interesting to hear points of view, from someone, who doesn't think Chiang Mai is the centre of the universe. smile.gif

Thanks to the French colonial time, Vientiane has something that not one Thai city has: 'grandeur' and class, it has the things that makes a city to a real city (although half is living in total poverty) like squares, fountains, classic buildings, renovating of old buildings, on the Mekong Boulevard there's a kind of a Mediterranean atmosphere, stylish international restaurants, hotels everywhere. When renewing the sewage system they managed to keep all trees undamaged where they are, quite unique.

Some bad points are the lack of traffic management, allowing some idiots to park on sidewalks, a fast growing number of cars (of which many cheap Thai SUVs like Fortuners and Hilux 4x4s, not seen them a year ago) so within 5 years it will be as terrible and unlivable as Chiang Mai :(

Personally I find Laotians more 'real' and open minded, spontaneous and seem to have more self respect. Vientiane has international culture, while in Chiang Mai 'some places are owned by farangs' but actually they are strangers who don't belong here. Maybe you don't feel it that way but I do and not the only me

Most foreigners living in Laos have nothing with a place like Chiang Mai.

Thanks to the French colonial time, Vientiane has something that not one Thai city has: 'grandeur' and class, it has the things that makes a city to a real city (although half is living in total poverty) like squares, fountains, classic buildings, renovating of old buildings, on the Mekong Boulevard there's a kind of a Mediterranean atmosphere, stylish international restaurants, hotels everywhere. When renewing the sewage system they managed to keep all trees undamaged where they are, quite unique.

Some bad points are the lack of traffic management, allowing some idiots to park on sidewalks, a fast growing number of cars (of which many cheap Thai SUVs like Fortuners and Hilux 4x4s, not seen them a year ago) so within 5 years it will be as terrible and unlivable as Chiang Mai :(

Personally I find Laotians more 'real' and open minded, spontaneous and seem to have more self respect. Vientiane has international culture, while in Chiang Mai 'some places are owned by farangs' but actually they are strangers who don't belong here. Maybe you don't feel it that way but I do and not the only me

Most foreigners living in Laos have nothing with a place like Chiang Mai.

Thanks for that - I must admit that I've got a soft spot for Laotians.smile.gif

What are the 'good visa options'?

Thanks to the French colonial time, Vientiane has something that not one Thai city has: 'grandeur' and class, it has the things that makes a city to a real city...

I never noticed that. I stayed there 5 days and hated the place. There was filth and poverty everywhere.

Another vote for Le Spice (Charoen Prathet Rd, Soi 6, opposite the Galare food centre). I've tried all the Indian places in Chiang Mai, and it's the only one I would eat at regularly. The others are pretty much interchangeable, with the same menus -- all northern Indian -- using the same spices and similarly bland recipes. The food tends to be cooked in advance and reheated before serving. Le Spice has a more varied menu with choices from several regions, and most items are cooked fresh. Highly recommend the Goan fish curry. By comparison it's also cleaner, with more atmosphere, yet no more expensive than the hole-in-the-wall places, which look cheap but aren't.

Hinlay Curry House is also interesting in terms of the menu variety, but the cooking tends to be Burmese and Thai interpretations of Indian food. No Indian cooks in sight.

How many 'Indian food in Chiang Mai' threads does this make, I wonder? ;)

Le Spice is nicer and cleaner than many of the others and it is easy to see that they put a lot of effort into cooking well. However, I can not stand the type of curry they use and it seems to be in most of their dishes.

I guess it would be a real find if one finds the curry enjoyable - and it seems that a lot of people do - but it just does not work for me. :(

Le Spice is nicer and cleaner than many of the others and it is easy to see that they put a lot of effort into cooking well. However, I can not stand the type of curry they use and it seems to be in most of their dishes.

I guess it would be a real find if one finds the curry enjoyable - and it seems that a lot of people do - but it just does not work for me. :(

Try New Delhi.

You have to wait but that's because they only cook to order and will spice it up the way you want it. Explain your preferences and they will do it.

Chedi is another name for Mandarin Oriental right ?  

Do I need to bring a bulk of $ ?

No man, Mandarin Oriental is near Bo Srang, The Chedi is near Night BarZaar, best Indian food indeed, just got back from India myseft.  another place is Royal India, taste authentic.  Le Spice is good but I don't think that's how Indian do it.