Regular Mail Ups, Fedex And Dhl

wally1k

Hi all

Recently a package send by regular mail from the USA was lost or stolen. I have checked with the local post office and no one can trace it

It had some medications,camcorder battery (used) and my mail for 3 months. Have others had this experience?

Customs has not bothered me via the regular mail route. It is also cheaper than the other carriers.

Strictly speaking however, it is not ok to send medications through the mail.

Does anyone have any experience with the other carriers mentioned. Does customs check everything when sent in this way?

Is there a chance my medications would be confiscated by customs? How about used personal items?

Many Thanks for all the useful information provided now and in the past

Walt

:)

A couple of points.

1) I've only sent 3 thing's to Thailand from the UK. One by regular post, just some t-shirts etc It never arrived.

The other two by DHL, got there in 4 days. Expensive, but well worth it.

2) In certain countries it's illegal to send prescription drugs through the post - aren't they cheaper in Thailand anyway? Same goes for certain types of battery. In my experience using DHL they won't seal the package until the driver turn's up and inspects the contents.

From the UK Post Office:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400138&mediaId=36200679

RAZZ

A couple of points.

1) I've only sent 3 thing's to Thailand from the UK. One by regular post, just some t-shirts etc It never arrived.

The other two by DHL, got there in 4 days. Expensive, but well worth it.

2) In certain countries it's illegal to send prescription drugs through the post - aren't they cheaper in Thailand anyway? Same goes for certain types of battery. In my experience using DHL they won't seal the package until the driver turn's up and inspects the contents.

From the UK Post Office:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400138&mediaId=36200679

RAZZ

Medicare makes it considerably cheaper to buy in the USA

there are lots of valuable supplements and drugs that aren't available in thailand and if they they might be available then crazy expensive.

DHEA is a good example as it's about 100 times more expensive if you can get it thru a hospital in Thailand.

Some drugs are cheaper in Thailand like the common stuff. Supplement wise really nothing beats the USA for price and selection.

there are lots of valuable supplements and drugs that aren't available in thailand and if they they might be available then crazy expensive.

DHEA is a good example as it's about 100 times more expensive if you can get it thru a hospital in Thailand.

Some drugs are cheaper in Thailand like the common stuff. Supplement wise really nothing beats the USA for price and selection.

Thanks for enlightening me :D

I think the OP is going to be taking a risk posting...no friends who can bring them for you?

RAZZ

Just received a USPS package from the U.S. Louisiana to Samui 8 days, 8 kg 90$ USD.

Have never lost or had a problem with a USPS package in over 10 years.

UPS and DHL you WILL pay duty, no choice they pay and charge you plus 7% VAT on their estimate of goods plus shipping and insurance.

By USPS in a plain brown box all hand written forms and lots of USPS tape, never a problem.

Have had some recent very bad experiences with DHL customs clearance services in Thailand. Fed Ex seem much better in our experience. These were situations when shipments were urgent and time was of the essence so the amount of duty paid was only a minor consideration. What mattered was getting the goods expeditiously cleared which Fed Ex seems to do far better when comparing similar consignments.