Something Is Biting Me

james24

I dont know what it is but something is biting me and my girlfriend in my apartment. They leave redmarks and seem to bite all ove the body in quick succession

Its not mosquitos, its not ants and today it really bloody hurt. I dust regularly, the room is new and clean and have used every spray to man but wont get rid of the bliters.

Its not bedbugs as they bite even when Im standing up. It could be fleas but there is no spray I can find for fleas.

Any ideas how to get rid of this... anyone had anything similar b4?

i was reading some times ago about some sort of bugs that bites you in a nasty way that hides on the beach sands, have you been to Hua Hin recently or walking on any other beaches?

Sand flies/fleas. They itch like he'll and have a red dot in the middle of the marks.

bedbugs is my guess.

bedbugs come to the bed to feed, then they go away and hide, and never usually in the bed.

They usually stay across the room hidden in clothes, is a common place.

So if you hang clothes in your room on a rail or stack them folded on a chair or something, then that is where they would normally like to hide. then you put the clothes on and hiding in the hem or under the seam, they will thank you for the free lunch.

The best cure for this is spray your bed with bug killer to catch any that are sat waiting for you. Also buy a wardrobe.

maybe the tiny ants, it is very very tiny and u hardly see it, i got bit for awhite till i found out it was that tiny ants, . check on ur towel if u hang it in the toilet rack ,look carefully , coz i found lots of that tiny ants hide on my towel. dont want to thinking about it again..... :blink:

cheers guys

Im quite sure its not bedbugs or ants. I reckon its fleas as I think I see things jumping but sometimes put it down to imagination. Any suggestions how to get rid of them..? There are no sprays anywhere. If Im wearing clothes these buggers seem to penetrate them. If Im not I still get bitten.

They bite all over the body and its like an itch sometimes.

As for the sand fleas they bit me outside of a restaraunt once when I was with my friend, in Chiang Mai lol.

As Im writing this my fingers are getting itchy, gotta do something about this soon

cheers guys

Im quite sure its not bedbugs or ants. I reckon its fleas as I think I see things jumping but sometimes put it down to imagination. Any suggestions how to get rid of them..? There are no sprays anywhere. If Im wearing clothes these buggers seem to penetrate them. If Im not I still get bitten.

As for the sand fleas they bit me outside of a restaraunt once when I was with my friend, in Chiang Mai lol.

As Im writing this my fingers are getting itchy, gotta do something about this soon

It isn't your imagination, you've got fleas alright.

Do you have any pets? Rodent problems?

In any case you should be able to find the right stuff in the pet shop.

cheers guys

lol ok

But I cant find a flea spray anywhere! I have no pets and the place is 1 year old.

The pet shop is a good idea but I guess they only sell flea spray for the species that live on pets. What about all the other species...?

I literally have looked everywhere.

Edited by james24

cheers guys

lol ok

But I cant find a flea spray anywhere! I have no pets and the place is 1 year old.

The pet shop is a good idea but I guess they only sell flea spray for the species that live on pets. What about all the other species...?

I literally have looked everywhere.

Rentokil might be the solution to all your problems.

They come and spray everything, you must vacate for a couple of hours though.

Yermanee

Check your hair for nits, (lice eggs), and yes, fleas also will take up residence in your hair, (anywhere),.

I was getting red welts all over on Samui, assumed it was Mosquitoes (the really small ones) but no one else was getting bitten like I was. I believe it was bed bugs, you rarily see them.

Maybe staying temporarily somewhere else for a day / night or two to see if it subsides, maybe in fact it may be some chemical / allergen, etc.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Unlikely to be fleas unless you have a pet (or the previous occupier of your apartment had a pet?).

But if it is - fleas are easily killed with any decent fly spray - no need to buy special flea spray. Their eggs will be in clothes and your bed - so hot wash all your clothes and spray the bed.

But I agree with the posters above - bedbugs seem possible. Why are you so sure it's not bed bugs? They can hide in tiny cracks in the wall, clothing and the mattress. Check in the seems around the mattress corners and under any mattress buttons.

Also - may just be persistent mosquitos .... close doors and windowns - spray with a good mozzy/fly spray just before you go out for the day - let the fumes clear before you go back in. Then try to keep windows and doors shut or screened to keep 'em out..

Also - a fan pointing over the bed at night will help with mozzies - it puts them off their aim when on the final bombing run and gives you a bite free night. One final thought .... Mozzy bites can take hours to appear - so this may cause you to think you've been bitten during the day.

Good luck!

Edited by Familyonthemove

wow some interesting stuff guys thanks. Unfortunately Im not sure if I can do a hot wash as I use public washing machines but Ill have a look.

The body lice might make sense but I cant really see whats biting me. I am extremely clean so cant understand why this would be...

Ill try everything and see what I can come up with.

As far as I know, if it is bedbugs, you cant kill them though can you...?

In case the symptoms are red papules, itching and small areas of rash developing then I'd say there's a chance you've got scabies.

This also matches your description that you cant see what is biting you. I dont know whether you've developed rash in small areas where mite droppings are gathering. If this is a case of scabies it will take about a month for this to develop, so please get checked for scabies - you have no idea how common scabies are amongst dogs and cats in this country.

Edited by Forethat

Have you considered body lice? Pubic lice do migrate to wherever there is coarse hair and they do jump.

http://kidshealth.or...ubic_lice.html#

Contagiousness

Pubic lice can live 1 to 2 days away from a human body. But contrary to what some people may think, they're rarely transmitted from furniture or toilet seats because the lice that fall from the body are usually injured or dying. Unlike fleas, lice can't jump from person to person. And they can't be contracted from animals.

http://www.emedicine.../article_em.htm

Lice infestation is a uniquely human experience. Lice do not jump or fly from host to host. They cannot be transited via animals but may be transferred by person to person via direct contact and by fomites (inanimate objects -- for example, caps, combs, sheets, etc).

http://www.mckinley....pubic_lice.html

HOW IS IT TRANSMITTED?

Pubic lice are usually transmitted through direct physical contact, especially of the genital areas. Occasionally transmission can occur through contact with an infested person's sheets, towels or clothes, as they can survive without a human host for one to two days. They are rarely transmitted from furniture or toilet seats because the lice that fall from their host are usually injured or dying. Lice cannot jump from person to person, nor can they be transmitted to or by animals.

no type of louse can jump or hop.

Edited by jdinasia

Wow scabies, thats crazy man

not at all, more common than one would think

As I said, my advice if you're experiencing at least three of the following symptoms I'd get checked for scabies - do NOT wait until you reach the stage where the itching gets so severe you'll scratch yourself until you bleed... Mind you that it takes about a month to reach this stage. Regardless of what this is, let a qualified physician check this today.

1. Being bitten by something invivisible or at least undetectable

2. Red papulations (small red raised spots on the skin)

3. itching

4. developing rash

ahh ok, its actually been going on for a while, I just ignored it really but now Im gonna do something about it.

Lavender, eucalyptus oil are apparently great anti-parasite treatments. Im off down the market tonight and gonna douse myself head to toe after cleaning my room.

This sounds rather like scabies,with scabies you will notice the redness and itching more in the evenings,itching on the fingers/back of your hands is a good indication of scabies,you may be able to buy a gel type cream called Jakusin from a pharmacy which you need to apply to the whole of your body after showering and making sure your body is cool and dry first.Also try to wash your sheets/underwear in hot water.Scabies is nothing to do with being unhygienic so dont let that worry you.Doctors here dont recognize scabies problems too quickly,3 years ago i had scabies for 4 months and not one doctor here i saw diagnosed it,as soon as i went back to the doctor in the UK he recognized it straight away.

This sounds rather like scabies,with scabies you will notice the redness and itching more in the evenings,itching on the fingers/back of your hands is a good indication of scabies,you may be able to buy a gel type cream called Jakusin from a pharmacy which you need to apply to the whole of your body after showering and making sure your body is cool and dry first.Also try to wash your sheets/underwear in hot water.Scabies is nothing to do with being unhygienic so dont let that worry you.Doctors here dont recognize scabies problems too quickly,3 years ago i had scabies for 4 months and not one doctor here i saw diagnosed it,as soon as i went back to the doctor in the UK he recognized it straight away.

Mmmm oh dear. This gel Jakusin, does it work...?

Sorry i got the name of it slightly wrong,it is Jacutin.It is actually banned from sale in some countries,but yes it does work,if you google Jacutin gel you will find more info on it,It can still be bought in Pattaya.Also google scabies and you will find more info to help you decide if your symptoms match up.PM me if you need some help locating Jacutin.

cool. Im gonna try some of the natural stuff first and see what happens.

Ive bagged everything up so to kill any that re in sheets etc. Ill then wash them with everything I can find

Now all I gotta do is find some neem oil. Oh and garlic is supposed to help to.

Young JAMES, If you apply some talc powder......the type the thai ladies splash everywhere will do, over the parts of the skin that are itchy, this will help to take the itch away.

If its what I think it is (a miniscule insect like a sand fly that can be found all over Thailand) then the powder will also help to repel them. This also works a treat with Mozzies.

In case the symptoms are red papules, itching and small areas of rash developing then I'd say there's a chance you've got scabies.

This also matches your description that you cant see what is biting you. I dont know whether you've developed rash in small areas where mite droppings are gathering. If this is a case of scabies it will take about a month for this to develop, so please get checked for scabies - you have no idea how common scabies are amongst dogs and cats in this country.

I agree. Scabies are easy to pick up, If it is scabies, the itching will be a lot worse after sunset. We picked it up as well a few years ago. Went to the hospital but they didn't believe us and kept saying it was flees. At any rate, we left the hospital with scabies medicine: medication and lotion. the lotion immediately killed the itch.

http://firstaid.webmd.com/scabies-treatment

http://www.myscabiestreatment.com/

Foggers that are available in the west cannot be found here. Having said that, there is a smoke version available in the stores. I've seen them at Villa Market. I recommend giving your apartment a good smoke out, then wash all your clothes, bed sheets, and pillows with a little bleach added to the wash. That should kill just about anything lurking in the shadows.