Have Been Offered A Position

I have been offered a position working with a financial investment company which sells memberships as a business club.

They offer various levels of membership from 5000 dollars upto 500,000.

They all offer free golf in Thailand and some other courses around the world. Trip to Thailand.

People buy the membership and their fee is invested into a project - there are several ones on the go. These projects appear to be funded by several different sources from members to other groups one of them is linked to the government here.

The money they invest in theory gives them an actual part of the project - there is no quick returns they are looking at a mininum of 3 years.

My position would be to deal with the Taiwanese office and to get the Malaysian side of things up and running with members there.

I will not actually be doing any calling just managing a team of Thai's who will in theory get the members on board. It will then be my position to go and meet with them at either seminars, golf tournaments or one to one meetings to show them some of our projects and try and get interest in investing in a project.

They will sort out a WP - they will raise there registered earnings or whatever it is to make sure there are no problems.

A friend mentioned that they did not think that this was legal in Thailand does anybody know before I go any further?

I have been offered a position working with a financial investment company which sells memberships as a business club.

They all offer free golf in Thailand and some other courses around the world. Trip to Thailand.

People buy the membership and their fee is invested into a project - there are several ones on the go. These projects appear to be funded by several different sources from members to other groups one of them is linked to the government here.

The money they invest in theory gives them an actual part of the project - there is no quick returns they are looking at a mininum of 3 years.

My position would be to deal with the Taiwanese office and to get the Malaysian side of things up and running with members there.

I will not actually be doing any calling just managing a team of Thai's who will in theory get the members on board. It will then be my position to go and meet with them at either seminars, golf tournaments or one to one meetings to show them some of our projects and try and get interest in investing in a project.

They will sort out a WP - they will raise there registered earnings or whatever it is to make sure there are no problems.

A friend mentioned that they did not think that this was legal in Thailand does anybody know before I go any further?

Can't see where it's not legal. Just not convinced on viability. However if you don't have to put anything in yourself but some hard work, and get a basic plus commision give it a go :o

Hit them for good retainer.

Always shakes the cons from the pros out.

Can't see where it's not legal. Just not convinced on viability. However if you don't have to put anything in yourself but some hard work, and get a basic plus commision give it a go :o

So what is your expertise here, token white boy?

Having spent over 10 years working in Taipei, I would hope you not only have a good command of Mandarin, but you also have a good network of friends and associates there whom you can tie into. Without either of those, you may have some difficulties. I don't know the scope of your business in Taiwan of course, so I could be totally off the mark. Taiwanese are avid golfers though!!

Edited by clokwise

My expertise absolutely none - that is why it's an interesting position for me. Using my people skills again.

And being a token white guy doesn't really bother me - does it bother you Chownah?

As for the Taiwan side of things as far as I understand the clients are all ready there with consultants taking care of them. They however need somebody who can dazzle them with some nice presentations to get a few million baht out of them.

Simple as that.

My expertise absolutely none - that is why it's an interesting position for me. Using my people skills again.

And being a token white guy doesn't really bother me - does it bother you Chownah?

As for the Taiwan side of things as far as I understand the clients are all ready there with consultants taking care of them. They however need somebody who can dazzle them with some nice presentations to get a few million baht out of them.

Simple as that.

No, it doesn't bother me at all. I just read your description of the position and it seemed that you weren't going to need any high powered business skills to accomplish it and I wondered if I was understanding it correctly or if I was missing something...turns out I understood correctly. Sounds like a good job but not for me. You can see from the style of my post that my people skills are limited or at least well hidden. My advice, which may be off the mark here, is to be cautious about this position. You might be needed only at the outset and once a reputation is established and a few white boys are on board as members then they won't need you out front anymore. The job sounds like great fun but with no secure future.

The money they invest in theory gives them an actual part of the project

That's an odd comment - 'in theory'

A few years ago - someone tried to get me involved in a business which was related to software for the Malaysian govt. The govt sponsored the software & 'in theory' lots of people paid cash to use it.

I saw what they wanted the software to do & couldn't honestly see why 100's of companies would pay to use it - especially not the names like Intel, Dell etc. For instance - I knew what Dell had, what we'd give them & that they'd get zero benefit from the product.

In the end - I didn't get involved because unless there's a clear-cut reason for your customers to buy something - there's no business.

Guess where that business is now ?

In this case - you seem to be having a hard time explaining why someone would part with 5,000 - 500,000 for your product.

So - please explain the benefits to your customers in 100 words or less. If you cannot do that - walk away.

Investing in the stock market is a risky business with no guarantees of a return.

Buying a membership in our club gives you a guaranteed return - we will return your membership at any time.

We are not promising next day or 3 months - 200% capital increase; and we are not nigerians either

We will offer you opportunities to invest into several projects which will return your money after two - three years plus interest and % of the profit of that project equivilant to the % of the project that you own.

And most importantly you get free access to Thailands golf clubs.

Edited by mraitchison

No expertise, good money...sorry, sounds like a "boiler room" job.

In 1985. Thailand had 15 golf courses, by 1997. that number grew to 200 and, on weekdays, one could have the whole green for him/herself. Today it is still possible, for less than 1500-2000B.

Can't see much room for new "projects" to grow.

Investing in the stock market is a risky business with no guarantees of a return.

Buying a membership in our club gives you a guaranteed return - we will return your membership at any time.

We are not promising next day or 3 months - 200% capital increase; and we are not nigerians either

We will offer you opportunities to invest into several projects which will return your money after two - three years plus interest and % of the profit of that project equivilant to the % of the project that you own.

ELITE CARD MKII :o

Where's Harmonica ???

How do they guarantee a return ? That's simply not possible if they are investing the money - there are NO guarantees. There is no guaranteed return on investment. Only government bonds could be considered in this category.

The best you can get on any non-bond investment is a guarantee that your principal is covered. Merril Lynch are doing it on some of their schemes but it takes some reasonably sophisticated investment techniques. These involve fixing the term of investment. They offer 5-year guaranteed principal investments but you cannot take out your cash early.

An investment vehicle that offers a guaranteed return along with guaranteed principal that can be taken out at any time - is unheard of. The main problem with it is that if too many people take out their cash early, the whole thing crumbles & the secondary investment that guarantees the return won't have matured yet.

At best this is a Ponzi scheme. Possibly boiler room. Perhaps an Albanian pyramid

And all this stuff about "it's not a get rich quick scheme" - is exactly the kind of thing a scammer would tell you to convince you it's legit....

Perhaps you know how the guaranteed return/principal is structured...

Yes does sound like a pressure cooker doesn't it.

Time will tell.

THis is the sort of comments I have been waiting for to see what people think.

I have a thoughts about this but its best to see what others thought too.

Edited by mraitchison

Being the 'white monkey' should bother you, I fulfilled that role once in Indonesia - and believe me, as the 'monet putih', you are last to get paid and the first figurehead to risk incarceration if something goes wrong. (Just ask Mark Greenwood now at Finansa in Sathorn Road)

On another point raised: -

Guaranteed capital return investment schemes in Investment banks are engineered with the use of complex derivatives

If a smaller operation makes the same promise, its often a sign of a pyramid scheme of some description, (known as a 'Ponzi Scheme' in the USA).This is illegal and fraudulent.

So be wary and vigilant !

I am being vigilant and carrying out some covert research.

ASking on here also has given me some new leads to read up on. I am interested now to know that the government guy I met the other day if he is in on it as a scam - is it a real business difficult to tell.

I have offered to be employed without a WP today in an email - saying that it will take less time to get me on board. Lets see what they reply.

On another note - the office only has two people working in it just now they want a couple more (or 15 - to get it to boiler room status) but they are finding it difficult to get. They don't have any sort of names list they need to contact the some DM companies.

THe boss doesn't want any mail to go out without me checking it first to make sure the two girls haven't made any promises they can't keep.

I am wary that it may be me who is left holding the shit pot. All my spidey senses are firing just now but I still have to be careful its just not my old druggy days paranoia kicking back in. Its one of my closest friends brother in laws - if he had any idea that it may be a scam and his little sister was at risk he would be a bit upset (the business is in her name)

I will keep you updated on what is happening and my decision.

Just now I sit in a really nice teaching position teaching science to kids - I love what i do but my brain is not used as much as I want it to be and is rotting away.

Thanks people for the advise keep it coming.

THe Moog - that is not the Moog from Wind in the Willows with Kenneth williams voice.

THe Moog - that is not the Moog from Wind in the Willows with Kenneth williams voice

Willo The Wisp actually - yes well done.

One of by Business Partners in Indonesia (now dead in strange circumstances) from 2003 had an idea for a similar entitlement card. It was basically a wheeler-deal.