Murder In Koh Sirey Few Hours Ago...

CroBiker

My Thai niece called me few hours ago....she had a dinner with boyfriend at one of those open food stall places at Koh Sirey. I don't know what a hell she was doing there at first place, this area is notorious. Bunch of Burmese got involved in vicious argument and one of them sliced another with parang (machete) into pieces before dozens of witnesses. Of course, killer fled away and police arrived shortly. According to her, police officers were picking up the body parts and placing them in plastic bags.....she (niece) is here now and in state of shock. For 18 year old to witness such a crime must be awful experience to say the least. Locals refer to Koh Sirey as AIDS colony and home of some worst crimes island has seen.<BR><BR>Anyway, this is true as it comes. I am curious if local media going to report this incident.

Very distressing for a young person to see. Hope she puts it behind her quickly.

During the day, it's a lovely little drive, and a few nice little places for lunch. I didn't know the place had a bad rep, has there been a lot of incidents there before?

There is hardly anybody living on the island, so what with all the building that's been going on for the last few years, the Burmese camps probably makes up 90% of the islands population, which is probably why the locals slag the place of so much, simply due to their dislike of the Burmese.

Would I be right in thinking that most of the other incidents where Burmese on Burmese as well?

Terrible to witness something like this. I hope your niece will be OK. I have forwarded this thread to local English language media, so it should get covered if they can confirm it with the police. My experience is they won't run a story on hearsay without proof or confirmation from police or an embassy.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Very distressing for a young person to see. Hope she puts it behind her quickly.

During the day, it's a lovely little drive, and a few nice little places for lunch. I didn't know the place had a bad rep, has there been a lot of incidents there before?

There is hardly anybody living on the island, so what with all the building that's been going on for the last few years, the Burmese camps probably makes up 90% of the islands population, which is probably why the locals slag the place of so much, simply due to their dislike of the Burmese.

Would I be right in thinking that most of the other incidents where Burmese on Burmese as well?

A while back it seemed like a serial killer was on the loose over there as there seemed to be almost monthly murders where a sharpened piece of rebar was the weapon. Police always blamed it on drunken arguments but no one ever owned up to seeing any of the dead in altercations with others. I believe all the dead were Burmese fishermen.

I visit Koh Sirey about once a week in the evening and, occasionally, after dark to have a few beers at a local shop. The couple who own the shop are very nice and friendly to chat with.

I have also stopped by other places in/around the so-called Gypsy village area, the Abalone Farm, and construction sites with great views of the ocean and islands off-shore.

I have never seen a fight. I have never seen a vehicle accident. I have never been spoken to in anything but friendly terms by the local residents.

The dogs are a bit agressive in the early morning before sunrise.

I add these points as a counter-point to the above negative characterizations of Sirey Island.