Apple Launches Ipad This Friday

webfact

PRESS RELEASE

Apple Launches iPad this Friday

iPad, a revolutionary device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading e-books and much more. iPad's responsive high-resolution Multi-Touch? display lets users physically interact with applications and content. iPad is just 0.5 inches thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds— thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook. iPad includes 12 new innovative apps designed especially for the iPad, and will run almost all of the over 140,000 apps in the App Store.

"iPad is our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPad creates and defines an entirely new category of devices that will connect users with their apps and content in a much more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before."

iPad features 12 next-generation Multi-Touch applications. Every app works in both portrait and landscape, automatically animating between views as the user rotates iPad in any direction. The precise Multi-Touch interface makes surfing the web on iPad an entirely new experience, dramatically more interactive and intimate than on a computer. Reading and sending email is fun and easy on iPad's large screen and almost full-size "soft" keyboard. Import photos from a Mac?, PC or digital camera, see them organized as albums, and enjoy and share them using iPad's elegant slideshows. Watch movies, TV shows and YouTube, all in HD or flip through pages of an e-book you downloaded from Apple's new iBookstore while listening to your music collection.

iPad runs almost all of the over 140,000 apps on the App Store, including apps already purchased for your iPhone? or iPod touch?. The iTunes? Store gives you access to the world's most popular online music, TV and movie store with a catalog of over 11 million songs, over 50,000 TV episodes and over 8,000 films including over 2,000 in stunning high definition video. Apple also announced the new iBooks app for iPad, which includes Apple's new iBookstore, the best way to browse, buy and read books on a mobile device. The iBookstore will feature books from major and independent publishers.

iPad's brilliant 9.7-inch, LED-backlit display features IPS technology to deliver crisp, clear images and consistent color with an ultra-wide 178 degree viewing angle. The highly precise, capacitive Multi-Touch display is amazingly accurate and responsive whether scrolling web pages or playing games. The intelligent soft keyboard pioneered on iPhone takes advantage of iPad's larger display to offer an almost full-size soft keyboard. iPad also connects to the new iPad Keyboard Dock with a full-size traditional keyboard.

iPad is powered by A4, Apple's next-generation system-on-a-chip. Designed by Apple, the new A4 chip provides exceptional processor and graphics performance along with long battery life of up to 10 hours.* Apple's advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging technology deliver up to 1,000 charge cycles without a significant decrease in battery capacity over a typical five year lifespan.**

iPad comes in two versions—one with Wi-Fi and the other with both Wi-Fi and 3G. iPad includes the latest 802.11n Wi-Fi, and the 3G versions support speeds up to 7.2 Mbps on HSDPA networks. Apple and AT&T announced breakthrough 3G pre-paid data plans for iPad with easy, on-device activation and management.

Continuing Apple's dedication to designing and creating environmentally responsible products, each iPad enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy-efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. iPad contains no brominated flame retardants and is completely PVC-free.

Pricing & Availability ?iPad will be available in December 3rd, 2010 nationwide for a suggested retail price of 15900(Baht) for the 16GB model, 18900 (Baht) for the 32GB model, 21900 (Baht) for the 64GB model. The Wi-Fi + 3G models of iPad will be available in April in the US and selected countries for a suggested retail price of 19900 (Baht) for the 16GB model, 22900 (Baht) for the 32GB model and 25900 (Baht) for the 64GB model. iPad will be sold in Thailand through iStudio, U-Store and Apple Shop at Power Buy and Power Mall the Apple Store? (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. International pricing and worldwide availability will be announced at a later date. iBookstore will be available in the US at launch.

iPad's revolutionary Multi-Touch? interface makes surfing the web an entirely new experience, dramatically more interactive and intimate than on a computer. You can read and send email on iPad's large screen and almost full-size "soft" keyboard or import photos from a Mac?, PC or digital camera, see them organized as albums, and enjoy and share them using iPad's elegant slideshows. iPad makes it easy to watch movies, TV shows and YouTube, all in HD, or flip through the pages of an ebook you downloaded from Apple's new iBookstore while listening to your music collection.

The App Store on iPad lets you wirelessly browse, buy and download new apps from the world's largest app store. iPad includes 12 new innovative apps designed especially for iPad and will run almost all of the more than 150,000 apps on the App Store, including apps already purchased for your iPhone? or iPod touch?. Developers are already creating exciting new apps designed for iPad that take advantage of its Multi-Touch interface, large screen and high-quality graphics.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-01

Amazing, these things have been available in many places in Pattaya for weeks. The only place you couldn't buy them are the authorised Apple dealers!! :ph34r:

Not at 15,900 baht they haven't.

If I'd realised they would have the free engraving in Thailand I wouldn't have bought them already for the kids Christmas presents...

Official price is a little less than I paid, but that's not bothering me, just the free engraving...

It's available right now via the Thai online apple store - http://store.apple.com/th

Do not seem to be able to log on to online store right now. Do you know if the new ipad is any better than a laptop?Thanks

Interesting question. It's not a laptop. If you compare it to a netbook, here's the differences:

- iPad needs a host computer to sync data from. The way to get stuff onto the iPad is via the PC / Mac you use as host. That's the biggest issue if you want to buy one instead of a laptop. Of course you can use any old computer as a host but still.

- iPad has no keyboard

- iPad is way more portable and can do a bunch of things no laptop can do. For example it's an excellent ebook reader. Browsing the web is better than on a laptop (any laptop, even a large one). Reading email ditto. But not writing - keyboard wins if you write more than a few sentences.

- iPad is instant on. Instant everything, actually. You're never going to wait for the iPad. It's another thing that makes it better than a PC.

All in all, different class of device.

Please note shipments from the Apple Thailand store come from Singapore! Don't be fooled. I waited ages just for SL. Should have gone and bought it myself.

Not exactly true, accessories and software ship from singapore, machines ship from the factories for example Shanghai and Shenzhen.

Same as if you order a apple product in USA such as a macbook it will still ship from Shanghai China.

Delivery is fast for Apple machines to Thailand and usually within 2-3 days for a "ship within 24hours item"

CTO Mac Pro for example shipped to me here in Bangkok 6 days after ordering with Apple store stating will ship in 4-6 days at ordering.

Personally, I'd wait... Apple has a habit of refreshing it's products on a yearly basis so expect a new iPad with camera and retina display (the same display as iPhone 4) to be launched around April time.

---------------------------------------------------------------

the following is taken from MacRumors ....

Digitimes reports that Foxconn Electronics factories have recently been notified that they will ship Apple's next generation iPad within the next 100 days with initial shipments to reach 400,000-600,000 units.

The sources pointed out that the iPad 2 will ship as soon as the end of February in 2011. Apple originally planned to start mass production in January, but because the device's firmware is currently still in testing, Apple has been postponing the schedule. Since Foxconn's new plants in Chengdu are still in pilot production, iPad 2 will be mainly supplied by its Shenzhen plants, while the company's upstream component partners have all been notified of the shipments schedule.

A February launch would be consistent with rumors pegging the iPad revision in the first part of 2011. Other rumored features include a FaceTime camera, gyroscope, thinner form factor, better display and a USB connector.

I just ordered one off the Apple Store this morning, and the order update page says it's already prepared for shipment. The only thing is that they have a projected delivery date of 16 December. Not sure why so long, as I have ordered an iMac from the Apple Store in the past, and it was delivered within two days of ordering.

I just ordered one off the Apple Store this morning, and the order update page says it's already prepared for shipment. The only thing is that they have a projected delivery date of 16 December. Not sure why so long, as I have ordered an iMac from the Apple Store in the past, and it was delivered within two days of ordering.

Don't worry about that projected delivery date load of nonsense and never been accurate for Apple to Thailand.

expect it 3 days from shipment notification. If its prepared for shipment already it will leave this afternoon for BKK and arrive with u Monday or Tuesday.

Unfortunately the contract APPLE have with DHL does not include customs clearance in BKK at the weekends. Imagine it will clear customs on Monday or Tuesday morning and delivered in the afternoon.

Order a lot of stuff 2 times a month to BKK from apple and never once has the estimated delivery date been reached.

Edited by negreanu

Digitimes reports that Foxconn Electronics factories have recently been notified that they will ship Apple's next generation iPad within the next 100 days with initial shipments to reach 400,000-600,000 units.

They need to do the camera so the date makes sense. Digitimes on the other hand has been wildly inaccurate in the past so the fact that they printed this is largely meaningless.

Maybe you're right nikster .... but just saw another related article here .... (From Apple Insider)..

Reuters reported Friday that sources claim the next-gen iPad will sport dual cameras, and could begin production as early as the first quarter of 2011.

The report further confirms the likelihood of a FaceTime-capable iPad, as reported by AppleInsider in September. Additionally, on Thursday, new iPad cases were spotted with cutouts for a rear-facing camera and space for what could be an SD card slot.

Reuters' sources pegged touchscreen chip designer Wintek Corp, battery maker Simplo Technology and AVY Precision, "an unlisted maker of covers for electronic products," as suppliers for the next batch of iPads.

Camera component suppliers Genius Electronic Optical CO and Largan Precision Co were also reportedly starting new "supply deals" with Apple, though sources were unable to confirm for which products.

The report lined up with what RBS analyst Steven Tseng has been hearing. "It makes sense for these suppliers to begin delivering their goods in February," he said. "I think Steve Jobs will announce the new product in January, and we should see the new product hitting shops in about April."

Other reports from sources close to Apple's Asian-based component suppliers have also predicted a Q1 2011 production date for the next-gen iPad. Earlier this week, Taiwan industry publication DigiTimes reported that Foxconn will begin shipping the iPad 2 within the next 100 days. The publication also released a similar report naming potential suppliers for the next iPad in November.

They need to do the camera so the date makes sense. Digitimes on the other hand has been wildly inaccurate in the past so the fact that they printed this is largely meaningless.

I bought one Today in Central Pattaya iStudio, 18,900, 32GB wifi only ( It's all I need )

I originally went there to but a new iPod touch 64GB, my old one has a cracked digitizer 13,900, but for 5,000 more, the iPad seems a good deal, seems like a nice machine, but I've only had it for a few hours, I have an Asus 1005ha netbook that I was using for travel, with an appropriate case maybe the ipad will be better, time will tell. I don't fancy holding the thing for hours on end, so maybe a case will solve the problem.

I have downloaded the VLC player app already, hopefully the movies will be nice and clear on the lovely display, will it play hi DEF 720p movies ? I have no idea, but I'm gonna experiment. So far so good!!

Now, all I need is a case that will allow the thing to free stand.

I was planning to wait for the next generation but spent part of Friday with a friend in possession of a 16 GB Wi-Fi version. I was so blown away I stopped at the iStudio yesterday at Changi Airport (I didn't make a special trip, but can't fault the timing) and walked out with the 32 GB Wi-Fi model.

As I found with my iTouch, 32 is really much more than necessary but there were no 16's to be had. I used SGD and with currency conversions I paid around US 671. That's about eighty bucks more than I would have paid in the States, but I'm not going to be there for months. It's $40 or so more than if I'd queued up for the product in Thailand.

Aside from the fact that I was able to walk out the door with the gorgeous little device in my bag (tax free), the huge difference for me was the pleasant surprise that the staff I dealt at Changi was actually friendly and helpful, which I find disorienting considering my experience at other Apple stores, including Thailand. Sure, they have one of the world's great products and they know it. But I consider the extra bucks worth it for the lack of attitude.

I did pick up the wireless keyboard because I do like the tactile response. Time will tell if it's a laptop replacement. I really didn't get it with that expectation. In the States the Blackberry- iTouch combination has been perfect for my work. I'm sick of lugging around a laptop of any sort and suspect this will make a great presentation device among other joys. The only challenge is that I haven't found a way to break it to the iTouch that there's a new member of the family.

GM1955 the standard case MC361ZM/B allows it to both free stand and to lie at an angle. SGD 54.71....

GM1955 the standard case MC361ZM/B allows it to both free stand and to lie at an angle. SGD 54.71....

I bought a lovely case today with multiple step positions, 500 Baht only in Tukcom Pattaya, screen cover film 300 Baht, I paid 750 Baht for the 2. smile.gif Very nice case, I would have paid 1000 baht for it and would have been happy.

32 GB wifi only in TukCom prices today, downstairs in the Sony shop, 19,900, upstairs 20,900 asking prices.

I paid 18,900 in The Apple Studio in Central, so sometimes Tukcom isn't always cheaper, I was surprised. The case was really good value, in fact my friend bought one too, even though he doesn't have an iPad yet !! But he's fallen in love with my one so I'll give him a week or two before he buys one, like I said to him, an empty case ain't much good !!

I transferred my games from my iPod touch and loaded them onto the iPad, it's a whole new gaming experience, I have a netbook and a Laptop for travel, but the iPad is the dogs <deleted>, it ain't just a big iPod touch, which is what I used to say it was, I have an iPod touch, but the iPad is a whole new experience.

Jesus...I never thought I would rave about Apple products so much and was only going to renew an iPod Touch with a cracked screen, wow, am I glad I got the iPad instead.

BTW, I replaced the iPod touch screen today in Tukcom , 1,300 Baht, looks like new again.

If I sound like an Apple fanboy, then I'm guilty as charged.

And don't even mention the Battery life, it's incredible, and I have an Asus 1005HA netbook that has a good, no, very good battery life, but the iPad blows it away.

Edited by GM1955

Jesus...I never thought I would rave about Apple products so much.....

I know just how you feel. I was a MAC fan from the beginning. I eventually switched to PC's for about 15 years out of software frustration. The Nano started me back on the path to Apple. I still use/need parts of both worlds, but after taking care of my morning emails with the iPad and the wireless keyboard, I'm totally sold. Happy I didn't wait.... it's the most fun I've had with a piece of tech hardware since, well, the iTouch.

Stopped at iStudio in the Plaza in Chiang Mai yesterday in search of a screen cover...should have known better but it was convenient.. none to be found and same non-service that has now twice lost them major purchases from me. Veritable feeding frenzy in the iPad section. But I would recommend anyone Apple shopping in Chiang Mai to go directly to the main MacZone shop near Kad Suan Keow . My opinion only, but based on experience.

The case I mentioned previously is nice enough for now, but definitely not the deal you received, GM1955. I'll be in the market to replace it before long. For those who can wait, the next generation of iPad will surely be worth it. Fortunately, I'll be in a new budget year by the time it appears.

Wireless Keyboard - that's a great idea, it would fix the only drawback on the iPad, writing longer passages of text. Hmm... need to get me one of these.

I have had the 16GB since it came out, it gets more useful by the day. I've played the whole Dungeon Hunter game on it - it was the first full blown computer game and while it's maybe a little silly it was good fun. As with everything else convenience is why I ended up playing that vs for example a desktop game. There's no complications, you don't need a mouse, you can just play in the bed, in the car (passenger seat), on the plane, anywhere. Instant on / off too.

In the morning it's replaced the morning newspaper - it's like that, only way better. With Pulse I've a beautiful RSS aggregate of newsfeeds that interest me. I have no doubt that newspapers and magazines are going to get wrapped into the iPad.

My kid loves it too, he's watching his favorite cartoons on it. At 3 years old he's already figured out he apps he likes - Penultimate for drawing (makes lovely drawings), the talking cat for fun, and VLC and Movies for his cartoons.

So I'll wait for the next gen with the camera - and then give my current 16GB WiFi to my boy. It will be his first computer, and a next generation device at that.

iPad 2 is rumored to be coming in April. Foxconn the manufacturer of Apple idevices someone has leaked information that they are already making the ipad 2's with 2 cameras and an sd slot and retina display among other new features. many sources to choose from heres one of them.

http://www.redmondpie.com/ipad-2-will-have-front-and-rear-facing-cameras-sd-card-slot-report/

The case I mentioned previously is nice enough for now, but definitely not the deal you received, GM1955. I'll be in the market to replace it before long. For those who can wait, the next generation of iPad will surely be worth it. Fortunately, I'll be in a new budget year by the time it appears.

Heres the case, has magnetic closing too, a real snip at 500Baht.

post-103118-0-04516000-1292223650_thumb.

post-103118-0-82539900-1292223689_thumb.

post-103118-0-52900600-1292223736_thumb.

post-103118-0-88254400-1292223775_thumb.

I just tested "Infinity Blade" a new game for the iPad - wow... that's definitely something else, never thought graphics like this are possible on an iPad. Controls are really nice too - it shows game developers are figuring out how to work with touch controls; in the process, they discover that touch controls can be way better than traditional forms of input.

A retina display on the iPad would be killer... 2 cameras is a no-brainer. There was never a reason Apple left the camera out of Rev.1 - My theory is they did it because they couldn't make the software work in time. Since Apple doesn't do half-baked, they then just left the camera out. FaceTime wasn't around at the time, and Skype still doesn't support video on iOS. So imagine you release an iPad with a front facing camera but no software to make use of it...

Don't worry about that projected delivery date load of nonsense and never been accurate for Apple to Thailand.

expect it 3 days from shipment notification. If its prepared for shipment already it will leave this afternoon for BKK and arrive with u Monday or Tuesday.

Unfortunately the contract APPLE have with DHL does not include customs clearance in BKK at the weekends. Imagine it will clear customs on Monday or Tuesday morning and delivered in the afternoon.

Order a lot of stuff 2 times a month to BKK from apple and never once has the estimated delivery date been reached.

I think I am working out one reason why Apple's estimates are not always accurate. I am still waiting for my iPad. And as it turns out, it appears that the culprit might be that shining example of transparency and efficiency - the Thai Customs Department. Have a look at what my DHL tracking yielded today:

-----

Dec 15, 2010 17:41 Bkk - BKK Clearance delay - Bkk - BKK

Dec 14, 2010 17:52 Bkk - BKK Clearance delay - Bkk - BKK

Dec 13, 2010 18:33 Bkk - BKK Clearance delay - Bkk - BKK

Dec 12, 2010 04:56 Bkk - BKK Clearance delay - Bkk - BKK

Dec 11, 2010 07:12 Bkk - BKK Processed for clearance - Bkk - BKK

Dec 11, 2010 07:12 Bkk - BKK Clearance delay - Bkk - BKK

Dec 11, 2010 01:02 Hhp - HHP Clearance processing complete - Hhp - HHP

Dec 10, 2010 21:38 Szx - SZX Departed from facility - Szx - SZX

Dec 10, 2010 21:36 Szx - SZX Processed - Szx - SZX

Dec 10, 2010 17:52 Szx - SZX Shipment picked up - Szx - SZX

-----

For any of us who have had the pleasure of dealing with Thai Customs, I suppose we should not be surprised. But with the amount of stuff that Apple ship into Thailand, one would think that Thai Customs wouldn't be holding it up.

Please, DHL...give them that envelope so I can get my iPad!

It's bullshit on behalf of DHL Thailand. when that happens a quick call to DHL customer service demanding that it is delivered the next day. Amazing that it mysteriously clears customs and delivered if you complain.

The problem is DHL Thailand they have a contract with Apple computers that is a corporate rate and therefore put all apple shipments on the back burner.

For example I got some items sent from NY to Bangkok DHL it arrived 2 days before a apple shipment sent from Singapore on the same day.

This needs raised with Apple Asia and CC Mr Jobs for effect as Apple is being screwed by DHL on this front and probably due to backhanders with DHL Thailand Apple don't even know about that their customers are being screwed by them.

Call DHL right now and tell them u need it delivered by 1pm tomorrow or else they can return it to Shenzen and I bet you it will be delivered state apple will lose the sale because of DHL clearance department. Works EVERY time.

DHL Thailand clearance department is the worst I have ever seen anywhere.

I am pretty sure DHL Thailand hide behind the clearance delay tracking update as its very hard for Apple or the customer to argue with it - but really its just that they are dealing with their premium customers on before 9am deliveries....just my theory but...

Send an email to: "Attasit Winaikosol (DHL TH)" <[email protected]>

customer services manager and kick up shit.

Below is my current Apple shipment also. But it WILL be delivered tomorrow :)

Dec 15, 2010 17:52 Bkk - BKK Clearance delay - Bkk - BKK

Dec 14, 2010 18:13 Bkk - BKK Clearance delay - Bkk - BKK

Dec 14, 2010 06:14 Bkk - BKK Processed for clearance - Bkk - BKK

Dec 14, 2010 05:22 Bkk - BKK Arrived at sort facility - Bkk - BKK

Dec 14, 2010 02:38 Sin - SIN Departed from facility - Sin - SIN

Dec 14, 2010 01:08 Sin - SIN Processed - Sin - SIN

Dec 13, 2010 20:33 Sin - SIN Arrived at sort facility - Sin - SIN

Dec 13, 2010 15:11 Sin - SIN Shipment picked up - Sin - SIN

Edited by negreanu

Why buy an iPad from overseas, pay the tax here ?

Is it that much cheaper ? I paid 18,900 for the 32GB WiFi model, in the Apple Studio in Central Pattaya.

There is no import or vat or tax on anything you order from the Thailand apple store online and shipping is free.

They deliver anywhere in Thailand to your door.

And you can get custom to order MacBook or desktop much quicker than ordering through a apple dealer here.

Order with English only keyboard instead of the "busy" thai keyboard

Also you can save a huge amount on ordering through the education store.

Just some reasons :)

Edited by negreanu