Silver Coins And Bullion

'Why not just buy Ag or Au bullion/ETFs after opening a trading account in a tax-free jurisdiction such as at a broker in Monaco or Leichenstein?' was my first thought, but I am out of date, having read offshore banking and investing books from the 1980s. As far as I know (and I know very little) the old rules and loopholes are being or have been clsoed. Plus, the little guy cannot easily open an account anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late update

I finally made it through undeclared, now I'm in Chiang Mai.

So I decided to let go some of my holding and reduced it to 32oz + 1oz gold in my backpack. On the u.s. side it was fine no sweat. The x-ray shown black clutter of objects although no questions were asked. The heart stopping part was that I used an interconnecting flight and I landed on china which I had to go through screening process surprisingly. I thought I didn't have to go outside the sterilized area, so the law and customs on chinese side wasn't fun. I've recently read news on increased penalty on pm's transportation in china and that scared the shit outta me. Nevertheless I went through just fine.

The final part was the BKK airport. Being a thai citizen made myself a little bit comfy going through, although the laws apply to everyone and things could get ugly if questions came upon. I've finally decided going the green lane as I heard the rumor that screenings were done only on baggages not carry ons. Well done with the rumor, the guy only asked me to x-ray one of the baggages and didn't bother to see anything else. So with this combination of no metal detectors on the exit, 2am arrival flight and a fist full of white metals in my backpack, little sweat made but it was all good.

So i suppose a reasonable amount would be fine on the green lane. Not sure if they would bother you much if you're a foreigner and coming from a certain country though. But as I observed, they only like what's in the baggage rather than what's in your pockets and of course their chit-chat time. Although next time I'm sure i'll do a non-stop flight.

So folks, keep stacking and let me know if you need help on anything in Chiang Mai... I'm gonna need a good american teacher for my school soon as well.

Edited by opac

Sorry for late update

I finally made it through undeclared, now I'm in Chiang Mai.

Interesting & thanks for the update.

Wonder if the same would hold true for 32 gold coins instead?

Other than that Silver reaching new highs again today

Ratio looks like it is still dropping at 32.2/1

Edited by flying

The reason I'd stayed under 2.5k USD worth of precious metals being this news I ran across few weeks before departure. http://www.cbp.gov/x.../05312010_2.xml

I don't mean to scare you with this info...

"Officers seized one bar of gold, two silver bullion bars and three bottles of gold nuggets because travelers failed to file a shipper’s export declaration. This automated declaration is required when transporting a commodity out of the country valued at least $2,500. Failure to file a shipper’s export declaration can result in the commodity’s seizure."

... but after reading this article having me got convinced that authorities can pull any excuses to steal from us. So I'd better be safe than sorry. I've got a little over 2.5k though, but among them were Canadian Maple silver rounds, so should any questions arise I would easily argue them that these exceed are legal tenders.

Now on the Thailand side, last I checked they allow very small value of good to come undeclared (10k baht i think) and currency to stay under 20k USD. Although I'm sure rules and restrictions are not to be reinforced as they say. Having said that it doesn't mean to expect lousiness, but also expect bullshit. :P Like any other authorities, they can pull any reason to steal. Although my last visit to my favorite gold dealer in China town he said "carrying 4-5 bars or coins in 1oz gold shouldn't be a problem you can tell them oh one for my grandpa one for my uncle etc. other than that it isn't worth it."

So in my opinion, i think it all depends on preparation and luck. It's a running through jungle, we all hope not to encounter a fierce beast on the way home.

I have a nice 1 kilo Perth mint silver coin, year of the ox design. Purchased it around 18 months ago for $650 aud now it's worth smack on $1000 if I chose to sell it. Silver is tracking better then gold that's for sure, just need more of it.

I have a nice 1 kilo Perth mint silver coin, year of the ox design. Purchased it around 18 months ago for $650 aud now it's worth smack on $1000 if I chose to sell it. Silver is tracking better then gold that's for sure, just need more of it.

• 2 months later...

.... my last visit to my favorite gold dealer in China town ....

Thanks for the updates. Well done of making it with your stash :-)

I'm thinking of doing the same as you (although I don't have so much to carry)

Could you please recommend that gold dealer in Chinatown?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, this will be my first post and I'm glad I found this forum before moving to Thailand this summer... I've just recently been waken up from our hypnotized society by reading and learning from independent media and books ... So folks, keep stacking and let me know if you need help on anything in Chiang Mai... I'm gonna need a good american teacher for my school soon as well.

Dearest opac,

Re: ' timestamp='1294994970

My sincere congratulations on your personal achievements. Your words and actions indicate you have a profound understanding and a creative mind.

I suggest you plugged back into the Matrix and downloaded the upgrade .

I plan to be gate gate paragate parasamgate Thapae gate soon.

I can teach "American" - Is it to teach your school son or is "Soon" your son's school?

Before the reboot, did you do the virus scan?

Best wishes on your birthday.

Shokdee

love this thread

I would humbly point out that if you do not have the physical stuff in your hands you don't own any silver. I for one do not believe that Sprott or SLV have enough silver to meet demand should things go haywire on the market.

Apmex and other american sellers of metals will not ship overseas, but to US addresses only. Canadian and AUS dealers have no such restriction that I have come across although AUS will not export Palladium (I think)

I have bought from Canada, the US (shipped to a US address) and AUS and found the AUS services to be superior but the prices are better in North America.

You can also buy metal at spotmex, google it up (disclaimer I am in investor in spotmex)

If you plan on buying the physical but don't want it on your person make sure you get an allocated account. The Perth Mint offers the service and they can't (in theory) raid your box to fill an order for someone else.

I think silver is going to go ALOT higher so buy and hold

also for the record there is an excellent precious metals chat on paltalk called "BULLIONBUGS" check out, There are a lot of smart people there who talk metals. Tell em Lex sent ya :)