Ao Nang For 2 Days.

random

I know I know, only 2 days, well 2 nights tbh.

i had some miles to use up with Thai Air before i lose them the end of this year, and other commitments only give me a few days spare,. can't go earlier than 6th as the other half has to do Fathers Day things on the Sunday.

Anyway hotel is booked, arrive early Monday morning and fly back to Bangkok Wednesday evening. I have looked at the other thread where someone is coming for a longer a stay, but I would like to know what I should not miss in my short time there, I like to swim (hotel has pool and staying walking distance to beach), I guess restaurants are a given (she is Thai so no doubt will spot the decent places to eat), girly bars are off the agenda, but night markets etc will be on the agenda if nearby.

Any advice on must do's would be appreciated.

ps, I have been in Thailand for 5 years, I have just never visited Krabi before.

No night markets or girlie bars in Ao Nang. Those will only be found in Krabi Town (30 minutes by Taxi). Many hotels / resorts offer a van-service to Krabi Town.

Take a walk on Beach Road in the evening like everybody else. Lots of shops and restaurants there. My favorite place for dinner are the restaurants located along the beach right where the beach road turns away from the beach in direction to Nopphattara Beach. The best one is without any doubt the Thai / Italian restaurant (second or third restaurant from the road). Prices in the restaurants are very similar, so why not chose the best? Several other good restaurants in the small soi in the opposite end of Beach Road as well, so your best choice will depend on where you stay. I do not find any of the restaurants located in between the shops in Beach Road worth mentioning. A great place for lunch is the seafood restaurant located on Nopphattara Beach immediately after the mountain which seperates Ao Nang Beach from Nopphattara Beach.

My best experience in Krabi was after climbing the 1237 stairs to the top of the mountain at Tiger Cave Temple. Stunning 360´ view of all of Krabi from there. I also like to visit the islands near Ao Nang by Speed boat - especially swimming and feeding fish (dont forget to bring toast bread) at the beach of Koh Hong.

Have a nice trip.

Edited by Xonax

wow, thanks xonax.

the girlfriend is religious so that temple may be on the agenda, I like the sound of that for taking some pictures. is is worth renting a bike for getting around the beach area, I did have a big bike in Bangkok so I am used to riding, but doubt I would ride into Krabi town on it, just for pottering around the beach area. Or is everything walkable round that area?

I am staying at Ananta Burin resort.

No night markets or girlie bars in Ao Nang. Those will only be found in Krabi Town (30 minutes by Taxi). Many hotels / resorts offer a van-service to Krabi Town.

Take a walk on Beach Road in the evening like everybody else. Lots of shops and restaurants there. My favorite place for dinner are the restaurants located along the beach right where the beach road turns away from the beach in direction to Nopphattara Beach. The best one is without any doubt the Thai / Italian restaurant (second or third restaurant from the road). Prices in the restaurants are very similar, so why not chose the best? Several other good restaurants in the small soi in the opposite end of Beach Road as well, so your best choice will depend on where you stay. I do not find any of the restaurants located in between the shops in Beach Road worth mentioning. A great place for lunch is the seafood restaurant located on Nopphattara Beach immediately after the mountain which seperates Ao Nang Beach from Nopphattara Beach.

My best experience in Krabi was after climbing the 1237 stairs to the top of the mountain at Tiger Cave Temple. Stunning 360´ view of all of Krabi from there. I also like to visit the islands near Ao Nang by Speed boat - especially swimming and feeding fish (dont forget to bring toast bread) at the beach of Koh Hong.

Have a nice trip.

Have you ever been to AO-NANG? I ask this because

1/the whole of Ao-nang is now a glorified market selling at very high prices.

2/No Girlie Bars, what about Soi Disappointed,plenty of bars down there

plus Luna bars,right next door to to the over rated and expensive seafood restaurant at the start of Nopphattara, also a few bars starting to spring up such as outside Krabi

resort ,then of course Bamboo soi and not to forget all the bars in Centre Point which have been there for over 10 yrs

Don't pay too much attention to the 2 killjoys above...

Your here for a couple of days....go with what Xonax says and enjoy yourself.

Try to visit Phranang Beach, only 10 mins away in a long tail...its one of the best in the world..

How can you say that Taninthai and myself are killjoys?, I just told the facts,backed up by Taninthai,I even listed the areas where you can find (IF YOU WISH)the girl bars,

I also hope he enjoys his visit, however lets not try and mislead visitors,tell them the truth and let them decide.

Hey there,

just back from a couple days in Ao Nang myself. As I am there regularly, some observations which will also be on topic, too lazy to open a new thread.

-first, not sure about the poster who said no girlie bars, there is RCA which is where all the bargirls who have washed out on the BKK-Patong-Kata-Rawai circuit have moved to. Nothing special there but there it is.

-food options in Ao Nang now very expensive as they have (at night time)removed all of the carts in front of the McDonalds mall, and my noodle soup guy who used to be out front of the minimart has been moved around the corner, and a different family is running it. Lo and behold, 5thb more (35thb for geow teow), but still pretty tasty.

-night market is Krabi town, and I really recommend the OP take an evening over there for dinner and shopping. Shopping in Ao Nang is a joke.

-Sunset on the Ao Nang beach wall mandatory, pop a big Heineken from the 7-11 and watch the sun dip behind Phang-Nga.

-daytrip over to Railay is in order for sure, I think one poster already recommended that so I second.

-OP I'd be curious about a follow up report, please repost with your observations and what you did.

Cheers, GOM

Hi guys,

I am back.

sadly the weather was not the best the past few days so we didn't really feel like island hopping. When we checked in about lunch time we had a walk along the main drag, dodged a few tailors and taxi driver every few metres haha, had some lunch on the front, noticed everything seemed pricey but i guess its because it is a tourist area, Tuesday we decided to go to tiger caves temple. My missus is 30 and slim, I am 43 and not slim haha, she had to keep stopping on the way which I guess that made everyone that passed us on the way thought it was me holding us up haha. It took us one hour to get to the top but well worth it for the views. we never took the 1200 baht return taxi, we managed to get a couple of local transport there for 100 baht each.

Tuesday night we ate dinner on the seafront, she wanted seafood, the meal was decent but don't remember the name, basically the first place on the beach just over the wooden footbridge.

All in all i enjoyed it, I think if i go back it will have to be for longer and visit some of the islands as people have suggested on here.