Level A1 English Test

Why is the information regarding this new requirement from the home office so hard to come by.

Has anybody in the UK booked this test with anyone? My wife is currently at college studying esol, I explained this to the home office and they said it would be better to speak to the college about it, I did this and they didnt have a clue.

Our problem is that her course runs until May 2011 and her visa runs out at the same time so therefore in order to apply for an extension FLR, she would need to meet this new requirement.

Any info would be appreciated

Ragards

Waz

Spoke with an immigration advisor today and she said the same thing, the requirement is for people wanting to obtain a visa and the fact she already has a spouse visa she does not need to meet this requirement.

It does clearly say on the home office website that if you want to apply to enter or remain in the UK as that person's husband, wife, civil partner, fiance(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner then you must show that you can speak and understand english.

There was some debate recently about whether, if your spouse had not passed ESOL/KOL after the initial two years, therefore not qualifying for ILR, she would then have to take and pass the new " A1 test " in order to qualify for a further two years FLR. I think the concensus was that the test would have to be taken.

There was some debate recently about whether, if your spouse had not passed ESOL/KOL after the initial two years, therefore not qualifying for ILR, she would then have to take and pass the new " A1 test " in order to qualify for a further two years FLR. I think the concensus was that the test would have to be taken.

Hi VisaPlus, Thank you for your reply.

I see from looking at your website that you offer a service for taking the test in Thailand, would it be possible to do so between the dates of 26th Dec 2010 and 19th Jan 2011 as myself and my wife will be in Thailand at this time.

Regards

Warren

Hi VisaPlus, Thank you for your reply.

I see from looking at your website that you offer a service for taking the test in Thailand, would it be possible to do so between the dates of 26th Dec 2010 and 19th Jan 2011 as myself and my wife will be in Thailand at this time.

Regards

Warren

Visas Plus doesn't run the test. It is done by English Test Centres. Send an email to their address on our website. However, before you book a test you should make sure that your wife needs it. As I said, there was some debate over whether it is needed or not in your wife's situation.

As you are in the UK now, I would have thought that UKBA could give you the definitive answer ( in writing, if possible ). If they say no need, then at least you have their response should it ever be questioned.

OP there are a plethora of ways to take the test in the UK even via the internet.

That said, your local ESOL provider will confirm that it is not neccessary and that your wife continuing in the ESOL environment and taking the end of level test (accredited by C&G) will suffice,

OP there are a plethora of ways to take the test in the UK even via the internet.

That said, your local ESOL provider will confirm that it is not neccessary and that your wife continuing in the ESOL environment and taking the end of level test (accredited by C&G) will suffice,

Could you say which of the UKBA-approved test providers offers an internet test that will result in the requisite certificate?

With respect to all, I think you may have missed the OP's original point. It is not about where you can take the test, providers, etc.

The OP asked if his wife would have to take the test to apply for FLR as her current LTR expires before she finishes her ESOL course. I believe there were earlier posts on this subjcet, and I think the opinion was that to apply for FLR a test pass would be needed.

My advice to the OP was to check with UKBA for a definitive answer. I think others have already asked UKBA similar questions, but no definitive answer has been posted.