Shocking Problem...

Thai Chi

Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me :D When my computer is turned on and running and I touch the case I get zapped (as in electrical zap) It is only slight, but enough to make me take my hand away :o From my computer case, I have an 3 pinned earthed plug going to an extension board, but from there to the power outlet its on the normal 2 pin plug. So, I am guessing that its not EARTHED out properly :D Is there a quick fix for this problem, or do I need to rewire/replace the wall socket to accept a 3 pin earhted plug ??? Despite this problem the computer is fine :D

A quick fix, to take the symptom away, is to get the area around the computer carpeted. A small rug will do. Or you can always wear slippers while working at your computer.

Since your house (like most older Thai houses) lacks grounded outlets, it's going to be a pain to ground/earth a single outlet. Of course, you should get an electrician to do it.

Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me :D  When my computer is turned on and running and I touch the case I get zapped (as in electrical zap) It is only slight, but enough to make me take my hand away :o From my computer case, I have an 3 pinned earthed plug going to an extension board, but from there to the power outlet its on the normal 2 pin plug. So, I am guessing that its not EARTHED out properly  :D Is there a quick fix for this problem, or do I need to rewire/replace the wall socket to accept a 3 pin earhted plug ??? Despite this problem the computer is fine :D

I use an old phone wire from the case of my UPS system to a 12 foot ground pole in the garden.

BTW, this shock is also being felt by your modem, hard drive and memory chips. A good idea is to ground direct, you are getting feedback from both phone lines and power source most likely.

Rewire is expensive so simple ground will do, unless this is your house then by all means get it grounded before something else gets fried. :D

Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me :D  When my computer is turned on and running and I touch the case I get zapped (as in electrical zap) It is only slight, but enough to make me take my hand away :D From my computer case, I have an 3 pinned earthed plug going to an extension board, but from there to the power outlet its on the normal 2 pin plug. So, I am guessing that its not EARTHED out properly  :D Is there a quick fix for this problem, or do I need to rewire/replace the wall socket to accept a 3 pin earhted plug ??? Despite this problem the computer is fine :D

I use an old phone wire from the case of my UPS system to a 12 foot ground pole in the garden.

BTW, this shock is also being felt by your modem, hard drive and memory chips. A good idea is to ground direct, you are getting feedback from both phone lines and power source most likely.

Rewire is expensive so simple ground will do, unless this is your house then by all means get it grounded before something else gets fried. :D

Thanks Guys, you have confirmed my theory :D The house is only 16 mths old and still is not grounded :o I have an exsisting ground earth out the front for my telephone/adsl lines, so I will run a line to that and hopefully that will sole the problem........

A quick fix, to take the symptom away, is to get the area around the computer carpeted.  A small rug will do.  Or you can always wear slippers while working at your computer.

Since your house (like most older Thai houses) lacks grounded outlets, it's going to be a pain to ground/earth a single outlet.  Of course, you should get an electrician to do it.

Carpets generate static electricity that could damage the machine. I think a rubber mat under your feet would be a better choice.

What you are feeling is a tiny instantaneous return current thru your body and the floor back to earth.

This is annoying but apparently here in Thailand not a serious problem as far as computers is concerned.

A house that new should have grounded outlets - are you sure the wall plug will not accept a three pin plug? Those outlet strips with three pin outlets but a two pin plug that Lotus and the like sell should be banned IMHO. If the wall outlet accepts a grounded plug just buy a good strip from Home Pro or look closely for a unit that has a three pin plug with orange adapter to two pin that you can toss. If not you should do one of the suggested case ground or one outlet ground. The carpet will help until then but a ground is much better for both you and the electronics (if you ever have to use the 56k modem it can make a world of difference).

The technical explanation: This is a result of the EMI/RFI filters on the front end of the computer power supply for electrical noise reduction. These consist of inductors and a couple of capacitors. These caps are connected to the hot & neutral and then to the case as the ground return for the RF noise. Without a ground to drain (earth) you in effect have an AC voltage divider making the case 220/2 = 110 Volts above the earth ground, your floor in other words. Current is limited by the size of the capacitors, that is why it is not a severe zap but disconcerting anyway.

I drilled a hole through the bottom floor of my house where the computer is kept and drove a 3 meter ground stack in. Connected up the third wire from the power strips and no more "surprises". The ground (copper) stacks are easy to buy. If you drill a hole through the floor soke it with water a while before driving the stack in. You can also do this just outside your window and run a wire in.

A friend of mine had this problem in his condo (15th floor). Condo being made of poured concrete and will be modertly conductive so he was getting shocked unless he wore socks on his feet. Told him to run a wire from the computer to the metal rail on the balcony and that fixed the problem for him.

Edited by tywais

Carpets generating static electricity... that's really generally true for the US/UK, where the weather and climate are conductive to the phoenomenon. However, for Thailand with all its heat and humitdity, you won't get this happening very much, if at all, with the carpet I suggest. I've used mine for 10+ years, no static electricity yet.

Thanks for all the tips and tricks guys :D The electrician is comming out tomorrow to instal 3 pin wall socket and earth wire to downstairs exsiting earthing rod. Funny thing is, its the same guy who does my Air Con serviceing :o and the plumbing and draining :D and installed the front door flyscreens :D and I am sure its the same 'phone number I called when the dog was ill :D Talk about multi-skilled.

Good. But be sure to replace that outlet strip with a real grounded model. And if he brings a multi meter make sure you get 220v reading across L-N and L-E (you should have same voltage to ground as to the neutral line).

A house that new should have grounded outlets - are you sure the wall plug will not accept a three pin plug? 

lop, my house was finished 8 or so months ago. I only got 2 pin and E because I drew a picture for the "engineer". I spent a frustrating 10 minutes trying to make sure that we had an earth. Luckily I did because the estate (well known "Estate Creators") houses come standard with two pin cabling only. I think in the end it cost us an extra 10k baht and I had to teach the sparky how to do it.

That and the ELCB/RCD whatever you want to call it are essential, especially if like me you have a spa bath.

hijack time

I was in the spa the other day when the RCD tripped, I have never moved so fast. I knew that I would be dead before I had time to get out of the water if there really was a problem but instinct is strong yeah? (turned out the heavy rains had infiltrated an external GPO).

I agree that the GFI/RCCB/ELCB or whatever we want to call them are life savers and I harp on that every chance I get as many years ago lost a good friend here in Thailand to a lamp that he turned on coming out of a shower that had a hot brass case. He happened to look a lot like me and my arrival in town a month later did case quite a commotion (I didn't know what to make of several ladies running away) until they realized I was not a ghost.

As the units only cost 4,000 baht or so it is not that expensive for most people and does not require a grounded system to save a life.