Paternity Leave For Uk Fathers.

dale1975

Im getting married next month to my thai girlfriend,she has been over in the uk with me on a tourist visa for six months,but now is due to return to Thailand.We are expecting our baby in april next year,she will be having the baby in Thailand and i will be going over for the birth,does anybody know if i am entitled to paternity leave in the uk as she is a no eu citizen cheers Dale

Take a look at this UK Employment Law-Paternity

I can't see anything in the rules about the child or mother being overseas at the time of the birth, but you will have to show that you live with the mother in an enduring relationship.

This can't be an uncommon situation, so another member may be along in a moment to give you 1st hand advice.

Or you could complete the enquiry form on the above link.

Good luck.

Just take a vacation...paternity leave is to allow the mother to work and the father to be a 'home-dad' for 1-2 months, right?

Not for you to have an extra long vacation.

Edited by TAWP

Just take a vacation...paternity leave is to allow the mother to work and the father to be a 'home-dad' for 1-2 months, right?

Not for you to have an extra long vacation.

No, it's to allow the father to take a couple of weeks off work to help with mother and child during the early months.

(Of course, some people do see it as a free fortnight's holiday)

Yes you will be able to take paternity leave if you have been employed with your emplyoer for 26 weeks by the 15th week before the babys due date, but you do need to give your employer written notice that you intend to do so normally 15 weeks before you intend to take the leave, go on the hmrc website or direct.gov.uk for more detailed information. It is only 2 weeks paid leave at the minute the new extended leave starts April 2011 and the current rate is £124.88 a week but all the details will be on those sites.

Hope this helps.

You are working in the UK under UK law, you are married and you are about to become a father - You are entitled to Paternity leave and I have several colleagues who have been granted paternity leave in almost identical circumstances.

Oh and Congratulations and best wishes to you both.