Renting Good Bicycles In Chiang Mai

luther

I have a group of friends visiting in December.  I would like to take them on some 20- 40 K rides, so I'd like to rent something besides the clunkers sitting on the sidewalks all over Chiang Mai.  Anyone got a recommendation?

Don't get your hopes up of finding quality bicycles for rent. I don't know the current status but i can tell you from personal experience of renting bicycles in Chiang Mai a few years ago, that people abuse them so badly or lose them, and a bike is easy to steal; it is a losing venture. Insurance is not readily available as with motor vehicles. That's why you see mostly cheap bikes that can be considered as not such a big loss.

Your best bet may be to book with a bike tour group which supplies the bicycles and a guide. MTB CM may organize a custom trip for you, or there is another group that I see around town with a fleet of Meridas.

Velocity used to rent a couple of decent bikes, and some not so decent. Mountain Biking Chiang Mai used to rent good mountain bikes out of a shop near Julie Guest House, but not sure if they still do. I think in Pai there is a better market and more availability.

Good luck and happy cycling. don

That's good information on TCA, they seem to be a top notch operation.

I was in Top Gear Bike Shop today, so asked the manager if she knew of bike rentals; she handed me a card for Wild Orchid Guest House at 70-72/1 Loi Kroh Rd. and said they rented mtbikes and road bikes. She also had a flyer from Cacti Bike at the corner of Sripoom and Singharat, NW corner of old city. Checkem out and let us know please, others may ask.

I had friends who are keen cyclists come to visit me in Chiangmai. They rented 21 gear mountain bikes in very good condition from

CACTI BIKE

94/1, Singharat Road, Chiang Mai

Tel: 053 212 979

Mobile tel: 089 757 9150

Email: [email protected]

My friends were very happy with the bikes for which they paid 350 Baht rental for each bike per day. I can't remember the brand - but my friends, who cpme from Germany, were ecstatic when they saw them., and said they were top of the range. They got puncture repair outfits; cycling hats and a few other bits and pieces thrown in.

The shop is on the corner of Singharat and Sriphum Road, diagonally across the moat from Computer Plaza and is owned and run by a guy called Sak, who speaks good English. He has ordinary bicycles (100 Baht for new and 50 Baht for well-run in models) and also motor cycles for rent.

Thanks a lot for the leads.  I'll be out and about the next two days and will report back.

Speaking as a lifelong cyclist with my own large collection of bicycles and 300 miles a week in my legs

I will 100 per cent recommend TCA bikes (the Bianchi bike shop) as the absolute best in Chiang Mai. Most rental bikes here are unrideable cr@p.

TCA are located down a soi behind the Good something Hotel on the right of the start of the superhighway just after the Nimmanhaemin junction. They know how to set up bikes and more importantly they know how to fit the bike to the rider.

Have a great ride

Try TCA over near Wat Jed Yod.

Search "tca Chiang Mai" in Google and it will give you a map and pics of the bikes they rent out. They've got good road and mountain bikes for rent. Not sure on the prices though.

Good luck

I want to visit TCA myself. I did an internet search but it's all in Thai. there is a slew of soi's in their general area. Can someone give a bit more specific directions to their shop?

Yeah TCA is solid... I took my Fox Fork in a few days ago to get the oil and seals changed and the mechanic performed it by the book and I would definitely return again.

I will buy parts at Jacky or Chiatawat but getting work done there makes me cringe. Fortunately I can do most everything myself except a very few things.

I noticed they had rentals and I doubt they are cheap but I am guessing good quality.

TCA info

Went to TCA, Cherry Bikes, and Cacti looking for rentals.

The first two were a bust.  I would recommend Cacti if you want to rent a mountain bike for a day or two.

I have switched gears and will now look to buy some used bikes.

Yeah TCA is solid... I took my Fox Fork in a few days ago to get the oil and seals changed and the mechanic performed it by the book and  I would definitely return again.

I will buy parts at Jacky or Chiatawat but getting work done there makes me cringe. Fortunately I can do most everything myself except a very few things.

I noticed they had rentals and I doubt they are cheap but I am guessing good quality.

TCA info

Try TCA over near Wat Jed Yod.

Search "tca Chiang Mai" in Google and it will give you a map and pics of the bikes they rent out. They've got good road and mountain bikes for rent. Not sure on the prices though.

Good luck

I want to visit TCA myself. I did an internet search but it's all in Thai. there is a slew of soi's in their general area. Can someone give a bit more specific directions to their shop?

OK - I found TCA - not easy to find at all. PM if you want directions.

• 1 month later...

Just another good word in for TCA and Cacti. I've rented city bikes at Cacti and noticed that their mountain bikes were in very good service. Note however that they charge per day, not per 24 hours, so best to pick up your bike early in the morning from them.

We've rented Kona Stinky DH bikes from TCA, in excellent condition and service, and also full face helmets (sounds stinky but they steam clean them it seems). I think the regular rate is 800 for the bike and 100 for the helmet. If you get a whole bunch they'll discount it significantly, and truck it to your home. Highly recommended.

Not sure if they rent other bikes too.