How To Buy A Ticket For A 3Rd Class Commuter Train In Bkk

siam2007

I have used the train in Thailand on several occasions, but for long-distance only, and never tried the often overcrowded 3rd-class commuter trains (for example, to go to or from Rangsit, Hua Takhe or else).

But as the fare from the nearest station here where I live to Hua Lamphong is just 2 (two) Baht, and at 30 minutes traveling time is BY FAR the fastest way to get there as well, I want to give it a try sometimes.

The question is: How to buy the ticket for such a train. Many of those small stations seem to have nothing else than a platform (no roof either) and obviously no ticket booth. is there a conductor on board ?

is there anybody who uses those trains once in a while and can clarify that ? Thanks

I hope I gain some of your experience in longer distance rail trave. I have not travelled by train in Thailand yet. Living in Nakhon Sawan I see from the timetable I could get a train to Pitsanoluk, I am guessing that train cross here as arrival and departure times are almost the same and its single track by the look of it. So my question is this do I buy ticket on the train so not to miss my train back is this a possibility? I am just out for a ride and see the sceneary. Or do I have to buy tickets at the ticket office?

Thanks for ifo for a rail fan but novice here.

Buy your ticket at the ticket office,it is safer. You can also get a free timetable at the the railway station.Or train departure times are signposted/boarded at all stations.Many trains per day on the Northern line. But 7 run at night. Fine if you want to stay overnight.Also, it depends on which class ,1st.,2nd.,or 3rd. For short trips 3rd. is quite good.But sometimes overcrowded. I suggest a little prior research at Nakhon Sawan would set you straight. Also, you can do day trips to Ayutthaya and Bang Pa In. Both places have plenty to interest you. Happy travelling.

Buy your ticket at the ticket office,it is safer. You can also get a free timetable at the the railway station.Or train departure times are signposted/boarded at all stations.Many trains per day on the Northern line. But 7 run at night. Fine if you want to stay overnight.Also, it depends on which class ,1st.,2nd.,or 3rd. For short trips 3rd. is quite good.But sometimes overcrowded. I suggest a little prior research at Nakhon Sawan would set you straight. Also, you can do day trips to Ayutthaya and Bang Pa In. Both places have plenty to interest you. Happy travelling.

Thanks for the tips, one more Q Can you buy return tickets or only single from station where boarding? The station here is a fair ride out of town and although green buses do go there half go to the army camp. The driver tells you he goes there even if you go to the army camp! My wife and I had to run across highway 32 on the way back, anything for 10 bts!

Thanks for the tips, one more Q Can you buy return tickets or only single from station where boarding? The station here is a fair ride out of town and although green buses do go there half go to the army camp. The driver tells you he goes there even if you go to the army camp! My wife and I had to run across highway 32 on the way back, anything for 10 bts!

Oh so my topic has been HI-JACKED..... how lovely :ph34r:

can actually someone reply to what, I, ME, MYSELF, the original Poster, has asked ?

thank you so much !

here we go again:

======================================================================================================================================================================

I have used the train in Thailand on several occasions, but for long-distance only, and never tried the often overcrowded 3rd-class commuter trains (for example, to go to or from Rangsit, Hua Takhe or else).

But as the fare from the nearest station here where I live to Hua Lamphong is just 2 (two) Baht, and at 30 minutes traveling time is BY FAR the fastest way to get there as well, I want to give it a try sometimes.

The question is: How to buy the ticket for such a train. Many of those small stations seem to have nothing else than a platform (no roof either) and obviously no ticket booth. is there a conductor on board ?

is there anybody who uses those trains once in a while and can clarify that ? Thanks

======================================================================================================================================================================

Sorry for the hijack, as you call it. My understanding is ,that all 3rd. class suburban trains are FREE.It was a political decision, to appease the masse . I would not think that any conductor, if there was one on the train would harass you. Simply HOP-ON and go for it

Oh so my topic has been HI-JACKED..... how lovely :ph34r:

can actually someone reply to what, I, ME, MYSELF, the original Poster, has asked ?

thank you so much !

here we go again:

3rd class trains are free for Thais only. Foreigners are charged - but not very much for 3rd class. You should be able to but your ticket from the conductor on any train.

Hope this answers your question.