Thinking Of Cycling Again After 40 Years

nong38

I had a Raleigh Trent Tourist many years ago and now think this would be a good way to get around Nakhon Sawan certainly more reliable than the bus! So a few observations and then if any advice is forthcoming would be grateful. I have had alook in Big C seem ok but I suspect I will get no help or advice so would be on my own. Have seen a few cycle shops around town where I might get better service possibly? From previous experience I would like straight handlebars and gears, I think a dynamo would be useful although not many seem to have them. I think I would like a speedometer and as my neck is a bit stiff thesedays and observing the independent driving techniques of other road users I might like mirrors to view whats happening behind. With that information and I think 26" wheels can anyone give me their thoughts and likely costs. I am thinking not a mountain bike but thicker tyres would not be a barrier. The bike I had seen in Bic C had straight handlebars and 6 speeds but everything else would have been extra and Big C seemed to have no accessories that would finish the job, the cost was 2990bts.

My advice is go to a local bike shop and spent about 12,000 baht on a basic mountain bike. Trek makes a model in that range, and I know many people who are pleased with it. You'll get better quality accessories (gears, brake pads, derailer) and the shop will know you're a valued customer and give you a good rate on tune-ups and repairs.

You can get a side mirror that will go into your handlebar for about 150 baht. A Cat Eye speedometer/odometer will cost you between 300 to 500 baht.

And most importantly, buy a quality helmet--and wear it.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

My advice is go to a local bike shop and spent about 12,000 baht on a basic mountain bike. Trek makes a model in that range, and I know many people who are pleased with it. You'll get better quality accessories (gears, brake pads, derailer) and the shop will know you're a valued customer and give you a good rate on tune-ups and repairs.

You can get a side mirror that will go into your handlebar for about 150 baht. A Cat Eye speedometer/odometer will cost you between 300 to 500 baht.

And most importantly, buy a quality helmet--and wear it.

Thanks for that, my impresion of Big C was probably right, helmet yes I would get one and ware a HV vest and my guess about service was the right one.

I bought a BigC mountain bike a few months back. Never have I seen anything rust so fast or fall to pieces so quickly. The pedal crank arm kept coming undone due to the thread being wrong handed, and as per usual, no interest in the shop to make good and the guy setting it up forgot the front brake. Apart from that, perfect.

I guess the get what you pay for thing is still a good guide.

Oh as a post script, it was stolen a couple of weeks ago, just found the cut off chain and lock where the bike was.

Well som nam na theiving git, it may have looked good in the dark, but it was a pile of crap and you did me a favour laugh.gif

Edited by Cobalt60

Nakhon Sawan is big enough to have a good bike shop. If you can't find it/them, wait till you see a bike rider in the neighborhood who is wearing a helmet. That's usually a sign of someone on a better quality bike. Ask him where he bought it. Invest in a helmet, a pair of bike riding gloves, and a decent bike.......all told should be in the range of 15,000 baht. You can buy a whole lot cheaper and a lot more expensive, but 15k should get you something well-built and dependable. I bought one 5 years ago at age 55 and have put on 7000km. It's a nice way to get around the villages/towns.

If you want to buy a can of beans, do not go to a bike shop, go to a supermarket; if you want a bike then don't go to a supermarket, go to a bike shop. What do you want the bike for? If it is mainly for road and path, either a hard tail MTB with city type tyres or a hybrid. My best advice is to go to a bike shop and try both types out and get what you prefer.

I am not familiar with Nakhon Sawan but I am familiar with the ProBike chain who have a dealer in Nakhon Sawan - Modernbike on Daowadueng Rd (full address on this page

From the ProBike website, I can recommend two for you - Trek 3900 and the Trek7300. I normally negotiate a discount of between 10 & 15% on my bikes. I owned a 3900 and have a 7.2 (similar to the 7300), I had the 3900 for about 3 years, rode 5000+ kms on her and sold it at about 2000Baht less than I paid for it! If it were up to me, I would go for the 7300, I prefer 700C wheels (similar size to thr old 27" ones), narrower hansdlebar and a better riding position.

I amm not entering the helmet debate but all I can say is "Your head, your choice! - I always wear one.

A basic CatEye computer - the Velo 8 is about 750 Baht.

A word of warning Be careful of the 'cycling bug' - once bitten, there is no cure!

Ok thanks for all that info. I have seen a bike shop here which claims to be a raleigh agent, are they still any good? I will also take a look at the bike shop named, I know where the road is and last night passed another to I will give Big C the order of the boot and the helmet is on the list, was not 40 years ago but defintely is now.

If you're taking this up after a long break, take it easy and look after your knees. Get a bike that fits properly (don't be tempted to go for a too small size because they're more easily available) and exercise and stretch to keep the knees aligned and pain-free.

Raleigh aren't a well known/well represented brand anymore... so they don't have the buying power for components that Trek/Giant have... but almost all frames come from only a couple of factories in China...

Have a look at all the components... Shifters, Deraileurs, Cranks, Brakes... They will most probably all be Shimano... You need at least 'Deore' front deraileurs, and really deore brakes as well... they will shift more smoothly, and stay in tune... The frame is about the least important.... Alivo/Ultegra are shit, and that is what you will probably find on the Big C models...

Giant seem to be about the best price/performance compromise if you can find a dealer local to you...

You won't find many bikes using dynamos anymore... batteries are cheap, and LEDs used in modern bike lights don't use much power... a much better solution, plus they don't add what feels like a 30 degree incline as soon as you flick it in... :D

Cheers,

Daewoo

Have a look at all the components... Shifters, Deraileurs, Cranks, Brakes... They will most probably all be Shimano... You need at least 'Deore' front deraileurs, and really deore brakes as well... they will shift more smoothly, and stay in tune... The frame is about the least important.... Alivo/Ultegra are shit, and that is what you will probably find on the Big C models...

Top of the range on road bikes is Dura-Ace, next is Ultegra.

Alivio is the top range for recreational mountain bikes.

Deore is for entry level mountain bikes.

You show me a Big C bike with Ultegra or Alivio components on it and I will buy it for you!

If you're taking this up after a long break, take it easy and look after your knees. Get a bike that fits properly (don't be tempted to go for a too small size because they're more easily available) and exercise and stretch to keep the knees aligned and pain-free.

I was thinking 26"wheels but will try one on for size. see how it fits, I have been offered a ride on small wheel job and declined it looked to small to control!

Thanks for all the extra info I will now make a list of what I think I require and see whats on offer and try a few for size. It seems like I am being pointed towards Giant and Trek as good brands so I am thinking that the components they us should be good as I understand it so I still need to look for *deore" on brakes and moving parts or "shimalo" are these manufacturers, a standard or what?

Thanks for all the extra info I will now make a list of what I think I require and see whats on offer and try a few for size. It seems like I am being pointed towards Giant and Trek as good brands so I am thinking that the components they us should be good as I understand it so I still need to look for *deore" on brakes and moving parts or "shimalo" are these manufacturers, a standard or what?

Shimano is a Japanese manufacturer who now supply about 50% of the components for the world's bicycles. The other major manufacturers are Campagnolo and SRAM. Deore is just one of the groupsets that Shimano produce. Groupsets are produced for different budgets and uses.

These parts typically include the following:

2 gear levers or shifters and

2 brake levers or

2 integrated brake levers/shifters

2 brakes, front and rear

2 derailleurs, front and rear

1 bottom bracket

1 crankset

1 chain

1 cogset, freewheel or cassette

The major bicycle manufacturers build a bike to price as do car makers so your choice is down to budget and use.

Shimano is a Japanese manufacturer who now supply about 50% of the components for the world's bicycles. The other major manufacturers are Campagnolo and SRAM. Deore is just one of the groupsets that Shimano produce. Groupsets are produced for different budgets and uses.

These parts typically include the following:

2 gear levers or shifters and

2 brake levers or

2 integrated brake levers/shifters

2 brakes, front and rear

2 derailleurs, front and rear

1 bottom bracket

1 crankset

1 chain

1 cogset, freewheel or cassette

The major bicycle manufacturers build a bike to price as do car makers so your choice is down to budget and use.

Ok so shimano is good company and so long as I go for deore or better I should get reasonably quality fit for purpose bike for my requirements, things slowly get clearer.

You show me a Big C bike with Ultegra or Alivio components on it and I will buy it for you!

Looks like we were both a little right and a little wrong... I assume/d that the OP is looking at a Mountain Bike, not a Road (read 'race') bike...

In Shimano products, for Mountain Bikes, the order from Highest Quality/Most Expensive to Lowest Quality/Cheapest is;

Deore XTR

Saint (mostly for hardcore bikes)

Deore XT

SLX

Deore LX

Deore

Alivio...

Ultegra are Road Bike components, and seem to be one level under the best - Dura-Ace... Alivio is the cheapest Shimano Mountain Bike components, and are really pretty crap... I think there are Shimano stuff even below that which has no '

If it was me, in Thailand, I would stick with Shimano, even though in many ways SRAM are better, but nothing beats Shimano availability and knowledge...

For Shifters I would spec Deore LX or better

For Front Deraileur, Deore or Better

For Rear Deraileur, Deore LX or better.

For Brakes, Deore LX or better (or another brand, like Avid)

For Crank/Sprocket/Bottom Bracket, Deore or better, or another brand like Race Face

For rear cassete, Deore LX or Better.

On my own bikes, I always used XT or better, but I was using the bikes a lot and in very tough conditions...

I don't know anything about road bikes... me and Lyrcra should never be seen together :D

Shimano Australia website http://www.shimano.com.au/

A good read here http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/au/index/new_to_cycling/mtb_101.html

Cheers,

Daewoo

Looks like we were both a little right and a little wrong... I assume/d that the OP is looking at a Mountain Bike, not a Road (read 'race') bike...

In Shimano products, for Mountain Bikes, the order from Highest Quality/Most Expensive to Lowest Quality/Cheapest is;

Deore XTR

Saint (mostly for hardcore bikes)

Deore XT

SLX

Deore LX

Deore

Alivio...

Ultegra are Road Bike components, and seem to be one level under the best - Dura-Ace... Alivio is the cheapest Shimano Mountain Bike components, and are really pretty crap... I think there are Shimano stuff even below that which has no '

If it was me, in Thailand, I would stick with Shimano, even though in many ways SRAM are better, but nothing beats Shimano availability and knowledge...

For Shifters I would spec Deore LX or better

For Front Deraileur, Deore or Better

For Rear Deraileur, Deore LX or better.

For Brakes, Deore LX or better (or another brand, like Avid)

For Crank/Sprocket/Bottom Bracket, Deore or better, or another brand like Race Face

For rear cassete, Deore LX or Better.

On my own bikes, I always used XT or better, but I was using the bikes a lot and in very tough conditions...

I don't know anything about road bikes... me and Lyrcra should never be seen together :D

Shimano Australia website http://www.shimano.com.au/

A good read here http://www.shimano.c...ng/mtb_101.html

Cheers,

Daewoo

Aagain thanks for even more imfo. I am not looking at racing at 65 and off road is not too likely, just to ride into town, about 2 kms. If I move could be more, the speedo is just a nostaliic thing for me which someone might have thought I was going to attempt the land speed record! It is illuminating though how things have changed and I do now have a far better idea of what I think I want and what I want on it to suit me.

Nong,

I live near Nakhon Sawan. There are 2 bike shops worth visiting.

1. Go past Tesco Lotus on your left, take 1st left and keep going up the road about 400 metres on the right you will see a bike shop on the right. Their bikes are up market types, but they are the agent for Trek.

2. Probably a better choice - go past Tesco lotus, at the next intersection with traffic lights turn right. (You will see a shop with lawnmowers on the corner) Get into the left lane and take 1st left after approx 40 metres. Go another 50 metres and you will see lots of bikes on display on the left. Its a Chinese/Thai family owned business. They speak English well and have a good choice of quality bikes from around 9,000 baht upwards. I would go for a Merida. Good components made in Taiwan to European specs and very reliable. Try a cross bike, not as heavy as a MTB, and a bit faster. I have a Merida from this shop, and several others. All have been very reliable, with few problems. Tell them Khun Tim from Australia sent you.

Nong,

I live near Nakhon Sawan. There are 2 bike shops worth visiting.

1. Go past Tesco Lotus on your left, take 1st left and keep going up the road about 400 metres on the right you will see a bike shop on the right. Their bikes are up market types, but they are the agent for Trek.

2. Probably a better choice - go past Tesco lotus, at the next intersection with traffic lights turn right. (You will see a shop with lawnmowers on the corner) Get into the left lane and take 1st left after approx 40 metres. Go another 50 metres and you will see lots of bikes on display on the left. Its a Chinese/Thai family owned business. They speak English well and have a good choice of quality bikes from around 9,000 baht upwards. I would go for a Merida. Good components made in Taiwan to European specs and very reliable. Try a cross bike, not as heavy as a MTB, and a bit faster. I have a Merida from this shop, and several others. All have been very reliable, with few problems. Tell them Khun Tim from Australia sent you.

Tim, sorry about the ashes! Well not really shall I ask Mick and Yaa to introduce us? THANKS for that imfo I am going to Tesco Lotus tomorrow I will try and find the other shop, I think it may be the one I have seen V T Teep.

I was going to suggest Merida too. I bought a couple for 8,000 Baht each, about 3 years ago and have used them (wife and I) almost daily without a single problem. I’m definitely not into fanatical cycling but have found the bikes to be very good and I’m so pleased I didn’t need to spend much to get them. At that price if they ever get stolen it’s just an inconvenience, not a loss! I cycle for exercise and fresh air, mainly using country lanes and a bit of off-road.

The models I bought are Merida 5, with Shimano gear. I had the shop fit a handlebar extension that more suited my riding style, and bought LED lights. After a bit of a haggle I got free bells, drink bottles and holders, stands, and puncture repair kits, and one free hand pump and changed the saddles for more comfortable ones all thrown in. I think the Merida 5 is entry level, but excellent value. Hope that helps and gives you another option.

Thanks for all your great advice chums, have found a really good and helpful Cycle shop in Nakhon Sawan courtesy of Tim Armstrong, it is everything Tim says, speak English, listen and advise, I will go back in the new year from this shop, did not try and sell me top of the range kit even when I asked about other brands, told me for my requirements it is not required, so I now know where I will go and be well looked after.:D

My advice is less about bikes and more about yourself.

If you've not ridden for a long time, it would be well worth having a check-up just to see that you are not suffering any underlying health problems (heart problems).

I'd also advise you take it very steady to start with, just a potter down the lanes, to the shop and back - that kind of thing. Build up slowly.

Get yourself a water bottle - as dehydration can be a major problem. When I first started back I found I was sweating buckets and I needed to take salt supplements (Electrolite) but a few months later while I'm sweating a lot, I rely more on plain water (at air temperature - not chilled and certainly not with ice).

Watch out for the sun too - it can be fierce.

I try to do most of my rides in the early morning (sunrise to before 10am) and the early evening (4:30 to sunset).

Oh and get some cycling gloves - they really help with road vibration.

If you can join a local club - doesn't have to be Farang, you'll find Thai cyclists are delighted to have you along.

One last thing - Keep a record of your rides and your vitals (body weight and pulse, blood pressure etc) you'll be surprised how your health improves with a little regular exercise.

Hope to see you on the road sometime.

My advice is less about bikes and more about yourself.

If you've not ridden for a long time, it would be well worth having a check-up just to see that you are not suffering any underlying health problems (heart problems).

I'd also advise you take it very steady to start with, just a potter down the lanes, to the shop and back - that kind of thing. Build up slowly.

Get yourself a water bottle - as dehydration can be a major problem. When I first started back I found I was sweating buckets and I needed to take salt supplements (Electrolite) but a few months later while I'm sweating a lot, I rely more on plain water (at air temperature - not chilled and certainly not with ice).

Watch out for the sun too - it can be fierce.

I try to do most of my rides in the early morning (sunrise to before 10am) and the early evening (4:30 to sunset).

Oh and get some cycling gloves - they really help with road vibration.

If you can join a local club - doesn't have to be Farang, you'll find Thai cyclists are delighted to have you along.

One last thing - Keep a record of your rides and your vitals (body weight and pulse, blood pressure etc) you'll be surprised how your health improves with a little regular exercise.

Hope to see you on the road sometime.

Thanks for comments and had added water bottle and hand pump to my list along with gloves and is the saddle comfortable. KI expect to be making 2 runs a day one at 0730 and return about 1200 its a 2 km journey, so will take it easy and I do check bp every month but will increase when I start to monitor. I have been shown a top thai model, I think bulky? said to meet my requirements, look to be about 5000bts before my add ons.

hi

some good positive comments here! Aren't cyclists good folk!

I've always ridden road/triathlon bikes, but just back from Phnom Penh spent 2 days on a Giant mtb riding trails (organised tour) and the above info will be useful to me esp the details on the gears, thanks, think I'll invest in a big mtb with general purpose tyres. And a comfy seat.

After years of being bent over the handlebars I enjoyed sitting upright for a change. The place I hired from Grasshopper Tours use Giant and Trek bikes so I guess that's some recommendation on their durability.

Will add here I learnt a few lessons - first day was 70km and a hell of a lot harder than 70km on the road. I ate a lot of dust.

Edited by genghis61

hi

some good positive comments here! Aren't cyclists good folk!

I've always ridden road/triathlon bikes, but just back from Phnom Penh spent 2 days on a Giant mtb riding trails (organised tour) and the above info will be useful to me esp the details on the gears, thanks, think I'll invest in a big mtb with general purpose tyres. And a comfy seat.

After years of being bent over the handlebars I enjoyed sitting upright for a change. The place I hired from Grasshopper Tours use Giant and Trek bikes so I guess that's some recommendation on their durability.

Will add here I learnt a few lessons - first day was 70km and a hell of a lot harder than 70km on the road. I ate a lot of dust.

I am pleased my little question has been of help to others, it has been illuminating for me and when I come back from Chang Rai, next week I will ordering my new machine.

To evryone out there thanks for all your advice and reminders, now have a good christmas. lets hope next year will be a good one and I dont fall off or have an accident!

Hi Fellow Farang,

What is the name and telephone number of the bike shop in Nakhon Sawan, where they speak English, and sell good quality mountain bikes? Just dying to ride up into the mountains near here. The tiny frame single speed bikes where I am staying just won't cut it.

I am in Khlong Nam Lai without any vehicle, and wish to call and order a bike to be delivered here asap.

Hope you can help.

Valerie

Answered my own question. Found a Trek 3900 size 18-inch on sale for 11,000 baht at http://www.nanekmtb.com/ in Kamphaeng Phet. The price included a helmet, kickstand, water bottle, bottle cage, and light. I traded the light for metal pedals that I attached mini toe clips brought from the U.S.

My friend Eddy Matzger, owner of a new resort in Khlong Nam Lai -- Skate Farm Thailand / Khlong Tom Lai Thai Spa -- and I rode in bamboo forest around the reservoir below Khlong Nam Lai Waterfall. It was radical fun!

Happy riding to all in Thailand!

Hi Fellow Farang,

What is the name and telephone number of the bike shop in Nakhon Sawan, where they speak English, and sell good quality mountain bikes? Just dying to ride up into the mountains near here. The tiny frame single speed bikes where I am staying just won't cut it.

I am in Khlong Nam Lai without any vehicle, and wish to call and order a bike to be delivered here asap.

Hope you can help.

Valerie

Hello, picked up the bike today, not used to cycling, will have to get used to it all again! Bike ready and good service too, the info you ask is this, if you come out of the back entrance of Veetheteep ( Doors nearest Kosi Road, turn left, over the cross road with traffic lights and its on your left about 20 yards, The road says Matulee 2, the address the shop route down for me is: THAI HUAD,4/66-68 Suchada Road, Tambon Paknampo, Amphoe Muang Nakhon Sawan. tel 056 314345, 056 212867.