New Us Passport, Need To Go To Immigration

I was stamped into Thailand on a Tourist Visa in my old passport

I went and received a new US Passport, and the US embassy in Bangkok canceled my old passport (with the original entry stamp/visa)

MUST I go to immigration before proceeding to the airport to leave the country? There are mixed reports on this forum. I would prefer to simply show up at BKK airport for my departure flight with both my old passport/new passport and the letter the embassy gave me.

Can anyone confirm that this will not be an issue? The person at the embassy said I could either go to immigration OR just show up at the airport with both old and new passport. Can anyone else confirm that I can just go to the airport? I am leaving on Friday from BKK airport and immigration will be closed, and I really need to leave on Friday.

Thanks.

The correct procedure is to go to the immirgation office and have it changed there. Normally they are willing to do it at the airport, but you should allow for extra time, so check in early. No guarantees, but you should be OK unless it is a total madhouse and won't have time to deal with you.

Just to update this post.

There wasn't any problem for me leaving at BKK airport directly. It took the immigration officer maybe an additional 2 minutes to process my departure...it was done in the normal immigration line, without having to go to the overstay line or anything.

It was relatively crowded and the line at immigration was rather long...so I'd say it's almost a sure bet that anyone with a normal 60-day tourist visa who gets a new passport while in bangkok will not have any problems.