Thaksin Cancels US Trip

webfact

Thaksin Cancels US Trip

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has canceled his trip to the US to appear before a human rights panel to give his testimony on the Thai government's alleged human rights abuse during its crackdown of the red-shirt group in April and May.

Thaksin will instead give his testimony via video conferencing.

He claims his family has been pressured for him not to make the trip.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-09

footer_n.gif

Well it seems that my prediction that this would be done by video teleconferencing has come true.

It was a no brainer. And to all those fools that were carrying on about how he this would be an opportunity for payback on the Bout affair; Go take a long walk and recover your common sense. Too many people buy into conspiracy theories and fanciful notions.

:D

Ahh Wednesdays tempest in a teacup is over. We hardly knew yee.

I'm not exactly happy about this though. Here we are on the cusp of a three day holiday and nothing. Please NATION find us another burning issue, we need to gnash our teeth, pull our hair, don sackcloth and pound out profundities on the keyboard.

Luckily I have Ms Phim on speed dial. She is always able to help me during these moments of ennui.

I hope all of you have the best of weekends

I can imagine the video conference ending up something like this.

Committee Member: Mr. Thaksin, did you fund the Bangkok protests?

Mr Thaksin: Sorry, I didn't hear the question. We have a bad connection. Telecommunications in Montenegro are not so good yet.

:)

More like ...

Mr Thaksin, were you there to help your people like you promised you would be when the first bullet flew?

No

Mr Thaksin were you an eye-witness to any human rights violations?

No.

Mr Thaksin, did you fund the redshirts?

No.

Are you sure? We have the personal accounts of several people saying you were funding them.

No?

Mr Thaksin, were you the person that issued the orders on the 2003 War on Drugs that led to 2600+ deaths?

Um.

Mr Thaksin, did you order the increased army presence and outline how the restive South of Thailand would be dealt with, that has led to over 4000 deaths?

Ummmmmm.

Mr Thaksin did the abuse of the Rohingya start under your administration?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(Note --- I said from the beginning that Thaksin would not deliberately put himself in a situation in a country that had an active extradition treaty with Thailand ... hence montenegro)

Edited by jdinasia

Extradition has nothing to do with it.

Thailand really does not want him back here his presence would just ignite the red shirts again.

He decided not to go because he was afraid the truth might be revealed. That is one commodity he refuses to deal in. He has a team of lawyers to twist it to the point where it is unrecognizable.

For sure there will be communication problems.

This was a win win scenario for both sides

They both get something out of it. Thaksin remains in the news and so, in the hearts and minds of his faithful.

The Dems and Abhisit have succesfully fought off the evil dragons latest nefarious scheme. Whatever they are doing, if they are doing anything besides fighting demons, is .. well un-important (in these dismal economic times).

And now we have a three day weekend. All is well in the kingdom.

He claims his family has been pressured for him not to make the trip.

With k. Thaksin having gone on record saying 'I have to work to feed my children' this seems a very plausible explanation ;)

Edited by rubl

:)

More like ...

Mr Thaksin, were you there to help your people like you promised you would be when the first bullet flew?

No

Mr Thaksin were you an eye-witness to any human rights violations?

No.

Mr Thaksin, did you fund the redshirts?

No.

Are you sure? We have the personal accounts of several people saying you were funding them.

No?

Mr Thaksin, were you the person that issued the orders on the 2003 War on Drugs that led to 2600+ deaths?

Um.

Mr Thaksin, did you order the increased army presence and outline how the restive South of Thailand would be dealt with, that has led to over 4000 deaths?

Ummmmmm.

Mr Thaksin did the abuse of the Rohingya start under your administration?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(Note --- I said from the beginning that Thaksin would not deliberately put himself in a situation in a country that had an active extradition treaty with Thailand ... hence montenegro)

Thank you.

He is a coward, murderer and exploiter of the poor. Simple fact.

He's a coward - no balls whatsoever.

It's not cowardice, it's rule of the game, survival...think smart.

I would agree with you here. Thaksin thinks of this as a game, with the redshirts merely being pawns sent out to sacrifice in order to gain a strategic advantage. Sadly (for him) this has failed, and sadly (for Thailand) he is unwilling to concede.

Well it seems that my prediction that  this would be done by video teleconferencing has come true.

It was a no brainer. And to all those fools that were carrying on about how he this would be an opportunity for payback on the Bout affair; Go take a long walk and  recover your common sense.  Too  many people  buy into conspiracy theories and fanciful notions.

Wow! Leadership of the free world should be yours for the asking.   :lol: :jap:  

PR game played for maximum effect...

Yeah for a Chicken :rolleyes:

He said he would lead the red shirts the moment the first shots were fired, so this response should hardly be surprising.

Would be interesting to see how much scrutiny has testimony will face, whatever it may be.

He just realise it is a trap. Bout for Thaksin exchange.

Quite right...you don't need a rocket scientist to know that....

Not to start a argument. I am just the curious type.

Why would Thailand want him back considering the boost it would give to the red shirts.

Yes they could put him in jail but that would put it on the personal level and detract from the greater good which can be obtained by Thaksin dropping out of sight.

Just my opinions but I would appreciate a response.

He just realise it is a trap. Bout for Thaksin exchange.

Quite right...you don't need a rocket scientist to know that....

Not to start a argument. I am just the curious type.

Why would Thailand want him back considering the boost it would give to the red shirts.

Yes they could put him in jail but that would put it on the personal level and detract from the greater good which can be obtained by Thaksin dropping out of sight.

Just my opinions but I would appreciate a response.

It took 2 years to extradite Victor Bout ....... 2+ years of Thaksin locked in even a minimum security Federal prison would certainly limit the damage he could do in Thailand during that time.