Singapore Thinks Asian Allies Corrupt, Incompetent: Cables

george

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Harsh, some might say, but also quite fair really. There's little anyone can say to refute the 'charges'.

All we await now is the wikileaks details from other ASEAN sources on Singapore. Hope Singapore is also able to "take it on the chin"....!!

Bilahari was also critical of the Thai government in 2008, labelling then premier Thaksin Shinawatra as "corrupt" along with "everyone else, including the opposition." Opposition leader is Mark.

Was former-PM Thaksin really "then premier" in 2008 ? I thought that was former-PM Samak & former-PM Somchai, his self-proclaimed nominees, rather than DL himself.

Whatever, the comments are spot-on, and a fine example of free-speech ! B)

Bilahari was also critical of the Thai government in 2008, labelling then premier Thaksin Shinawatra as "corrupt" along with "everyone else, including the opposition

Unlike the head in the sand expats, Bilahari's spot on.

"including the opposition" Bingo :D

Thaksin wasnt PM in 2008.

LKY's daughter in-law (Temasek holdings) did'nt complain about Taksin being 'corrupt'. Bought up his shares with a smile on their faces.

And your point is?

That a clever crook is still a crook. Taking advantage of corruption does'nt leave your hands un-dirty. I thought it was obvious.

Edited by macsurf

Not sure what gives the singaporean government (or anyone in singapore, for that matter) the right to point their finger at anyone !

The singaporeans have been fleeced by their rulers for ages for the right to own a car, to hire a maid, to use the roads etc., so the singaporean government can sink billions of taxpayers money into Lehmann Brothers, AIS and others.

When it comes to moral integrity, the biggest joke of them all is singapore!

Agree 1000%!

He hit the nail on the head with this quote, "He attributed the relative decline of Japan's stature in the region to Japan's 'stupidity, bad leadership, and lack of vision,'" it added.

Spot on the money.

TheWalkingMan

]

20 years ago Japan could have bought Asia without all the Japanese investment and know how Asia would still be a Basket-case ..

Meanwhile Kausikan was also allegedly critical in his assessment of Singapore's other neighbour' date=' Thailand reported the Australian press.

He had supposedly said that Thaksin Shinawatra was "corrupt" along with "everyone else, including the opposition".

[/quote']

Remember the law-bending and use of nominees in the case of Temasek acquiring Shin Corp?

http://en.wikipedia....emasek_Holdings

The squeaky clean Singapore govt and its cronies seem to be willing to bed with those they called corrupted if the purpose serves their interests. Birds of a feather flock together?

Face it, Singaporeans look down on everyone, including their own, if they are not Chinese. This is one of the most racist societies in ASEAN!

The authoritarian Singapore government does not tolerate any dissent and will sue, then jail, then bankrupt, then bar from politics, any popular opposition leader who dares speak against it.

By the way, this is the government most admired and envied by past PM Thaksin.

LKY's daughter in-law (Temasek holdings) did'nt complain about Taksin being 'corrupt'. Bought up his shares with a smile on their faces.

And your point is?

That a clever crook is still a crook. Taking advantage of corruption does'nt leave your hands un-dirty. I thought it was obvious.

No it's not obvious at all.You need to read up on the details of the Temasek sale not just grunt out a Pavlov dog (Thaksin crook, Thaksin bad) reaction.The sale was legitimate and was supported by key elite Thai institutions such as Siam Commercial Bank.There were some tax irregularities certainly but the campaign against the deal only gained traction when Thaksin's domestic enemies saw it as leverage.

Lee Kuan Yew created a new position for himself something like, 'Tutorial Minister, or Advising Minister' (singaporeans help me out here), but truthfully long retired. With salary of nearly 4 Million SG$ per year. That's more than the US President, more than LOTS of Presidents.

Pots calling Kettles black. What a joke.

Minister Mentor

Not too sure about his pay.

Not sure what gives the singaporean government (or anyone in singapore, for that matter) the right to point their finger at anyone !

The singaporeans have been fleeced by their rulers for ages for the right to own a car, to hire a maid, to use the roads etc., so the singaporean government can sink billions of taxpayers money into Lehmann Brothers, AIS and others.

When it comes to moral integrity, the biggest joke of them all is singapore!

Agree 1000%!

My Singaporean friends would agree with this analysis and also add that freedom of speech in Singapore is worse than in countries such as Thailand and Malaysia, not that it is so good in them either.

[

Face it, Singaporeans look down on everyone, including their own, if they are not Chinese. This is one of the most racist societies in ASEAN!

The authoritarian Singapore government does not tolerate any dissent and will sue, then jail, then bankrupt, then bar from politics, any popular opposition leader who dares speak against it.

By the way, this is the government most admired and envied by past PM Thaksin.

The part about looking down on non-Chinese, appreciate if you can elaborate? Singapore values racial harmony and the current President is of Indian ethic?

About oppositions who dare to speak against, I fully agree.

WIKILEAKS

Don't over interpret leaked US cables : Singapore FM

By Today online, Asiaone online

Comments purportedly made by Singapore's senior diplomats on Asian countries released by WikiLeaks cables will not impact bilateral ties, said Singapore's Foreign Minister George Yeo.

Today online quoted Yeo as saying, "I don't think we should over-interpret such communications."

Speaking to reporters, Yeo said: "We don't know the context ... but it's bad practice to me for such confidential information to be leaked, because it makes future confidential communications that much more difficult."

His comments came after confidential diplomatic notes containing unflattering assessments of key figures in Malaysia, Thailand, India and Japan were published by Australia's Fairfax media group.

Neither confirming nor denying the veracity of the reports, Yeo added, "That is what certain individuals said about others. There could be a diversity of views."

He smiled as he added: "If you want to hear everything that others say behind your back, and take offence ... you'll be a very unhappy person."

Sydney Morning Herald and Melbourne Age carried the content of the cables in their Sunday editions, Asiaone online reported Sunday.

The cables reportedly detail separate meetings in 2008 and last year between senior US officials and their Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) counterparts Peter Ho, Bilahari Kausikan and Tommy Koh.

Ho and Kausikan were both permanent secretaries at the MFA at the time, and the latter still holds that position. Koh is the ministry's ambassador-at-large.

Another cable dated November 2008, reporting the conversations of US diplomats with their Australian counterparts, mentions former Malaysian deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy case.

The cable reportedly says: "The Australians said that Singapore's intelligence services and Lee Kuan Yew have told Australia's Office of National Assessments (ONA) in their exchanges that opposition leader Anwar 'did indeed commit the acts for which he is currently indicted'."

The report adds that unnamed "Singaporeans" made the assessment on the basis of "technical intelligence", which is likely to relate to intercepted communications.

The Australian ONA is also recorded as saying its Singapore counterparts concurred with its assessment that Mr Anwar's sodomy charge "was a set-up job and he probably knew that, but walked into it anyway".

Koh allegedly described Japan as "the big fat loser" in the context of improving ties between China and Asean.

He attributed the relative decline of Japan's stature in the region to Japan's "stupidity, bad leadership, and lack of vision."

He also allegedly did not spare India and was equally merciless towards them, describing his "stupid Indian friends" as "half in, half out of Asean."

Ho alleged assessment of Malaysia according to WikiLeaks as reported by the Australian press stated that former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has been "throwing stones" at his replacement, Abdullah Badawi.

"As for... Najib Razak, he is an opportunist. Although he has not been critical of Singapore, he will not hesitate to go in that direction if it is expedient for him to do so." the report quoted him as saying.

Meanwhile Kausikan was also allegedly critical in his assessment of Singapore's other neighbour, Thailand reported the Australian press.

He had supposedly said that Thaksin Shinawatra was "corrupt" along with "everyone else, including the opposition".

He was also implicated in the cables for his assessments of Singapore's neighbours reported the Australian press.

Yeo also said he had no intention of asking either Bilahari, Ho or Prof Koh to confirm if they had said what was put out by WikiLeaks. "These are confidential communications," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-13

I enjoy Wikileaks, it's wrong, immoral and things will never be the same from now on. The closet doors have opened and all the skeletons are out. Some we knew, some we suspected, some we guessed, but some we never knew, keep them coming.

Where would Singapore be if Malaysia and Thailand cut off their food?

Malaysia will bide their time and choke Singapore into submission.

Food security, Singapore has none.

I think that would be hard to achieve. Malaysia and Thailand are not the only food exporters exclusive to Singapore. Aussie pork is very much relished in Singapore.

What would happen to the trade economy if the money from exporting food stops suddenly because someone higher up wants to starve Singapore?

Will singaporeans die of starvation first? Or will Thailand and M'sia traders/food producers be poorer from income losses?

When you're the one buying, you are in the driving seat.

It used to be water isn't it? Till the desalination plants and the Newater program got up?

I can foresee the same with food.

Edited by Sinblesser

I think that would be hard to achieve. Malaysia and Thailand are not the only food exporters exclusive to Singapore. Aussie pork is very much relished in Singapore.

What would happen to the trade economy if the money from exporting food stops suddenly because someone higher up wants to starve Singapore?

Will singaporeans die of starvation first? Or will Thailand and M'sia traders/food producers be poorer from income losses?

It used to be water isn't it? Till the desalination plants and the Newater program got up?

In times of war, food security is the most important and Singapore has none, unless we are talking about the under the table (hushed) Agriculture deals going on in Burma.

It's sometimes better not to bite the hands that feed you.

well it may be easier than you think. or perhaps the singaporeans can start learning how to cook, chew, and swallow their elecronic chips and SGDs.

"Singapore thinks..."... who cares what singapore thinks? they can think and say what they want but the fact remains the countries they criticized and those who lead them aren't likely to lift a hair to change anything.

very well said, but I give the government credit for being able to put things in a nice way to the citizens.

I can list a whole bunch of bull crap that has been spoon fed to the republic.

Hence said, who am I?

I am a Singaporean; and Thailand is my Mexico. :D

I see things in a different way and calls myself "not the typical Singaporean". I do not get blinded by false fact feeding or news sugar coating.

But I need an electric blanket in Thailand!! lol..

What a piece of news, good day to all. It's beautiful today, nice and warm.

Cheers

Bilahari was also critical of the Thai government in 2008, labelling then premier Thaksin Shinawatra as "corrupt" along with "everyone else, including the opposition
Thaksin wasnt PM in 2008.

So we can assume that the PM was Abhisit and both he and the Reds were corrupt ...

Anyway you spin it, it comes out the same. B)

I think that would be hard to achieve. .

well it may be easier than you think. or perhaps the singaporeans can start learning how to cook, chew, and swallow their elecronic chips and SGDs.

"Singapore thinks..."... who cares what singapore thinks? they can think and say what they want but the fact remains the countries they criticized and those who lead them aren't likely to lift a hair to change anything.

I think, you think... Everyone have thoughts and ideas.

You lift a hair, you start changing things. But you begin by noticing what's been said about you.

If no one said nothing about anything, there will not be change.

*Eleborations avaliable if needed

Cheers

Being sensitive, is an asset.

Absolutely right in my view. Singapore has a strong hand. You obviously understand well the Singapore Malaysia situation

Blunt if said as quoted, but accurate.

Just another case of wikileaks confirming what we all thought but thought the diplomats were ignoring. Seems they were just being diplomatic in public.

That of course IS their job, be diplomatic, and know when to talk straight.

Sadly now the trust to be able to talk straight is greatly diminished,

and not just with American diplomats. This bad business will greatly diminish

inter-government communications in general and communication is understanding,

and understanding leads to peace...

I totally agree with your sentiments on communication and peace but this "bad business" should not automatically destroy trust.

All the american diplomats need to do is to be more careful ( "diplomatic" ) with their comments. I'm all for them speaking frankly to each other but to do so using the internet and allowing access to copies was incompetent to say the least

Some information transfer in the uk, for example, is made by word of mouth - no emails, no telephone calls, nothing in writing. I suspect many other countries do the same - niot it seems the states.

If we go back almost a hundred years, UK PM Lloyd George spoke in Welsh on the telephone on important war directives - totally aborted attempts at decoding by the german cyphers. Nowadays even that would be unsafe i guess

caf