Phuket's Sad Tale Of Two Russians

webfact

Phuket's sad tale of two Russians

PHUKET: -- Russian tourist Nikoley Bobrova, 64, rushed to his wife’s aid as soon as he saw her in trouble in Phuket's surf yesterday but could not save her.

Mr Bobrova and his wife Irina, also 64, arrived in Phuket on holiday on December 1.

The couple were due to fly home tomorrow.

Police said the couple arrived at Karon Beach about 9am.

Mrs Bobrova apparently went swimming in a “no-swimming” zone marked by red flags while her husband kept watch on the beach, they said.

About 10am, she disappeared under the waves. Her husband rushed to rescue her, dragging her onto the beach.

Mr Bobrova tried to revive her, but to no avail.

Chalong Police duty officer Boonlert Onklang said police presume Mrs Bobrova drowned.

Her body has been taken to Vachira Hospital Phuket for further examination.

Earlier yesterday afternoon in Rawai, Russian tourist Tatiana Ghuprakov, 41, watched helplessly as her husband went into cardiac arrest and passed away.

Lt Col Boonlert said Mrs Ghuprakov and her husband, German, 46, checked in at the Chalong Beach Resort and Spa on Wiset Road on Friday and were due to fly home on December 22.

The couple were in their room at about 1pm Mr Ghuprakov collapsed in spasms and went into shock.

Mrs Chuprakova called for help, but by the time an emergency rescue team arrived it was too late to revive him, Lt Col Boonlert said.

Police presume Mr Chuprakova died of a heart attack, Lt Col Boonlert added, but his body was taken to Vachira Hospital Phuket for confirmation of the cause.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-12-13

Last night on Kata Beach just as it was getting dark I saw a Russian family with a toddler and baby sitting in the shallow surf. A lifeguard came over and began telling them to move out of the water because it was unsafe. The Russian man started shouting at the guard telling him to go away. I was impressed to see the guard, then another, continue to press the couple while keeping their cool until the couple eventually moved out of the water. Some tourists just don't understand or have any respect for the power of the ocean. This with several beached and battered yachts a few meters away.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Sad to see any loss of life - the heart attack victim could have been possibly saved by standard CPR knowledge (simply coughing can regulate from a heart attack) and the wasted life by not understanding simple procedures. Perhaps if the signs on the beach were policed and more visual she may still be alive today.

One moot point, Thailand traffic has little or no regard to ambulances and the sirens on ambulances are all but inaudible. Having seen a hundred of examples of ignorance by drivers refusing to move out of the way for them, I would think even on Rawai there may have been delays getting to the unfortunate heart attack victim. This is a criminal offense in some countries and so it should be. People can lose a licence over disregard of essential services.

sign_ns.jpg

Last night on Kata Beach just as it was getting dark I saw a Russian family with a toddler and baby sitting in the shallow surf. A lifeguard came over and began telling them to move out of the water because it was unsafe. The Russian man started shouting at the guard telling him to go away. I was impressed to see the guard, then another, continue to press the couple while keeping their cool until the couple eventually moved out of the water. Some tourists just don't understand or have any respect for the power of the ocean. This with several beached and battered yachts a few meters away.

I am on the beach every day

The Russians are in general neglecting simple safety precautions, ignoring or abusing lifeguards and often swimming very drunk. Sad to see. They will top this seasons drownings

Perhaps if the signs on the beach were policed and more visual she may still be alive today.
The signs on the beaches are very, very clear, the flags have been red for a couple of days and the beach patrols are active.

People choose to ignore it, their choice, but don't blame a lack of good, visible signs.

I was down there swimming at Karon beach about 9 years ago. Didn't see the red flags and went in. All normal until feeling the pull. Tried to get back to shore but was gradually being pulled more out. Got the clue and worked with the small incurrent when possible using more power in swimming technique. Took me 30 + minutes to get back in and I was tired. I only noticed the red flags from out in the water. Never will do it again. Hawaii I did it, but that was because of big surf not he same. Had a ball there!.

Yeah, Karon beach can be deadly even for the strongest of swimmers. again, I will never go swimming anywhere in Thailand that has red flags. That onetime schooled me.

uncletom

Perhaps if the signs on the beach were policed and more visual she may still be alive today.
The signs on the beaches are very, very clear, the flags have been red for a couple of days and the beach patrols are active.

People choose to ignore it, their choice, but don't blame a lack of good, visible signs.

Oh, and forgot: 5 or 6 boats laying on their side, stranded at the beach, I would say are a pretty good warning sign as well.