Chinatown And Parking

poppysdad

Anyone give me some advice on where to park. Travelling up from Hua Hin next week my wife (english) wants to do some shopping in Chinatown. Looking at maps it would seem best to aim for MBK to park and then get a taxi to Chinatown and as we also want to have a look at the Xmas lighting display around Siam Square area before we return back to HH it seems the best option to me, but has anyone any better suggestions on where to park to take in both bits we want to do. Thanks.

There's a place called Khlong Thom Center, it has a parking lot on the upper floors; cheap from what I gathered but I haven't parked there myself. It's an interesting place to stroll around if you are into crowded, labyrinthic markets. :)

There's some more info and a link to a map inthis page.

Thanks for the the replies everyone, decided to go with the Suan Lum suggestion only to find when we got there it was being demolished. Drove around the area for a while hoping to find somewhere else to park but finally gave up and headed for JJ Mall at Chatuchak where I'm quite familiar with and then took taxi's instead to Chinatown and Siam Square area.

One thing though, are the police in the Suan Lum area an honest bunch, I had to do an illegal u-turn unfortunately in front of one of them having gone past the entrance first time, of course he booked me and took my licence insisting I go to his police station to pay fine and get my licence back despite a few offers to pay on the spot. Told him I had no idea where I was out alone where his police station was so he led me to it once again going past the entrance to Suan Lum, he was totally courteous as was his fellow officers and gave me a receipt for my 300 Baht fine and then all of them took pleasure in telling me how to get back to the entrance without doing an illegal move only to find it was no longer there any more when finally getting there. I was really impressed with them, it was a fair cop and I'm all for getting rid of the tea money payments asap - if you do the crime then pay up so long as they do the right thing too

We always park at Chinaworld (you drive the car into an elevator), from there you can cross the street to Sampeang.

I have a friend who has a shop in China World, so I produced this map to help friends find the place.

The elevator entrance to the parking floors is on the 'north' end of the building, i.e. the road extending from Yaowarat road (not sure if is still called Yaowarat here).

If you want to park for free I believe you have to fill in a form together with a receipt showing your purchases.

I just tried attaching the map but the file type was not accepted.

But if you drive along Yaowarat Road from the Hua Lamphong direction as far as you can go (past some temporary barriers) you will get to a narrower section of road. Go slowly straight on and you will see China World on your left. If you reach a right turn (no other options) you have gone about 20 metres too far.

PS I can email the map seperately if anybody is interested.

Edited by rak sa_ngop