Donut/Doughnut Mix

Thanyaburi Mac

I've looked at Tesci-Lotus, BigC, Tops, no joy. Have yet to get downtown to check out Villa Market, perhaps after the new year.

Anyone seen a box of this around on a supermarket shelf?

The best donuts I've had in recent years, sadly not on the market now, were those fresh one right out of the hot oil bath, cooked up live by several of the Tesco-Lotus outlets in the area. Plain, hot, donuts, no frosting, nothing added. Then they took the machines off the floor and sent them back to storage, guess they just weren't selling enough of them.

????

Mac

Old-Fashioned Yeast-Raised Doughnuts

3 dozen doughnuts

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup butter or margarine

* 2/3 cup scalded milk

* 2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)

* 2 packets active dry yeast

* 3/4 cup sugar

* 5 cups sifted flour (approximately)

* 2 eggs, lightly beaten

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon cardamom

* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon mace

* Vegetable shortening or cooking oil, for deep fat frying

Topping:

* 1/2 cup superfine sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

Melt butter in milk and cool to lukewarm. Place water in a warm large mixing bowl, sprinkle in yeast, and stir until dissolved; add milk mixture and sugar. By hand, beat 2 1/2 cups flour in until smooth; mix in eggs, salt, and spices. Mix in remaining flour, adding a little extra, if needed, to form a soft but manageable dough. Knead lightly 1 minute on a floured pastry cloth; shape into a ball, place in a greased large bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down, roll 1/2-inch thick on pastry cloth, using a floured, stockinette-covered rolling pin. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter and place 1 1/2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Re-roll and cut scraps. Cover with cloth and let double in bulk.

Meanwhile, begin heating fat in a deep fat fryer. When doughnuts have risen and fat has reached 375 degrees F, ease 4 doughnuts into fat, 1 at a time. Fry about 2 minutes until golden brown all over, using tongs to turn. Drain on paper toweling.

Note: Never fry more than 4 doughnuts at a time and keep fat as near to 375 degrees F as possible; if too hot, doughnuts will brown before they cook inside.

While doughnuts are warm, roll in topping.

Variations:

Jelly Doughnuts: Prepare as directed, but roll dough 1/4-inch thick instead of 1/2-inch. Cut in 2 1/2-inch rounds and put 1 teaspoonful tart jelly in the center of 1/2 the rounds. Top with remaining rounds, moisten touching edges slightly, and pinch to seal. Let rise, then fry as directed. Roll in confectioners' sugar while still warm.

Crullers: Prepare as directed, but instead of cutting into doughnuts, cut in strips 8-inches long and 1/2 to 3/4-inch wide; let rise, then twist strips several times and pinch ends. Fry at once and roll in topping while still warm.

Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts Recipe

Makes: 36

Ingredients:

2 cups buttermilk

2 large eggs, beaten

1 cup granulated sugar

5 cups sifted flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup butter or shortening, melted

Oil for frying

Directions:

Combine the buttermilk, eggs, and sugar. Set aside. Mix together dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir. Stir in the melted butter or shortening and knead until a soft dough forms. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to approximately 1/4-inch thickness (roll thin for best results). Cut with a 2-1/2-inch or larger doughnut cutter. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375(F.) Fry the doughnuts on each side for approximately 1 min. or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dip in a powdered sugar glaze while hot and decorate with nuts or candy sprinkles if desired.

Glaze:

Combine 1-cup powdered sugar, a dab of melted butter, and a splash of vanilla in a mixing bowl. Mix well and add just enough milk or water until glaze is the consistency you desire. (A thinner consistency will produce a thin glaze on the doughnuts or a thicker consistency will be more like a frosting.)

Gippy

Ah, ha! That's what I thought I'd seen before, but can't find it at my local TESCO-Lotus at Klong 7, will try the outlet at Klong 3 next.

http://www.rbsupply.co.th/cooking.php

I was looking in the "baked goods" section, lots of fudge mixes. Ah, ha II !! I was looking for a boxed product, this is in a bag.

Thanks much, will let you know how they turn out.

Mac

Check your local Tescos, mine has a 'donut cake mix' by some outfit called Uncle Barns. It has pictures of regular donuts on the package, not the Chinese type.

Gippy

Ah, ha! That's what I thought I'd seen before, but can't find it at my local TESCO-Lotus at Klong 7, will try the outlet at Klong 3 next.

http://www.rbsupply.co.th/cooking.php

I was looking in the "baked goods" section, lots of fudge mixes. Ah, ha II !! I was looking for a boxed product, this is in a bag.

Thanks much, will let you know how they turn out.

Mac

Check your local Tescos, mine has a 'donut cake mix' by some outfit called Uncle Barns. It has pictures of regular donuts on the package, not the Chinese type.

Got the mix at Tesco-Lotus, in the bag, just baht 35, reasonable. Now looking for a donut "dispenser" or dropper or whatever they're called, something that'll drop the mix in the oil with a pre-made hole.

Seen any such thing around town? Also not at Tops or BigC or Tesco-Lotus out my way.

Of course, can always just make donut "holes."

Mac

OK So I got the donut dispenser mixed up with the cookie gun ... these 2 are available my local pastry supply shop: the plastic is 80 baht and the stainless pro model is 480 baht -- I have no idea about Rangsit ... let me know if you would like me to pick one up for you ... you big city guys are helpless.

Edited by jazzbo

OK So I got the donut dispenser mixed up with the cookie gun ... these 2 are available my local pastry supply shop: the plastic is 80 baht and the stainless pro model is 480 baht -- I have no idea about Rangsit ... let me know if you would like me to pick one up for you ... you big city guys are helpless.

Jazzbo

That looks like The Puppy!! I'll get back to you via PM.

BTW, Klong 10 area on the Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road sure ain't like it was 15 years ago, all sorts of new moobans between me and Rangsit now. Used to be just 20 minutes to Future Park Mall, now 45! FYI, I've got a 50 rai rice paddy over my back fence, that should qualify me for some "country style" status!!

Mac

post-32650-0-64640400-1293011075_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Mr Churro Donut In Chiang Mai has donut machines, donut mix, and donut bikes for sale, franchising available you can contact me for contact if you like, these donuts are better than krispy kremes! the donut droppers they used to have in Tesco are now used at Mr Churro Donut.