Thai Gongs

BB1955

I have a friend in the US thats is a drummer and has asked me to find him a large gong , only ones I have seen are at the temples , he claims they are made here in Chiang Mai does anyone have a clue where they are made ?

Edited by BB1955

There's a gong shop offering all sizes (made "antique" looking) in Ban Thawai, on the main road, about 150 m on the left side after turning in from the Hang Dong <> Saraphi road.

Not cheap but I don't know any other shop.

Maybe you ask in one of the several shops for musical instruments ...? The Thai word is "KhOOng" (High tone).

In case you find a producer in Northern Thailand pls let us know.

There is a great shop in Tachilek. Down the steps straight ahead on the left about half way down the street. When I was in export I bought all sizes there. They have a back room with hundreds and offer a good price.

Edited by Sansai Sam

If you want to just go check them out and get an idea of prices, there is a lady in Anusarn Market in the night bazaar. Turn into the market and keep going straight through. She literally has the last shop on the left hand side as you exit the market. They're packed in and a bit dusty but I've always found stuff like that to be a bit cheaper than a clean, sparkly showroom.

I also understand there is a similar shop in Wararot, on one of the streets to the right if you're coming from the direction of the American consulate - before hitting the flower market, just not exactly sure which.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BB1955,

You wrote: "I have a friend in the US thats is a drummer and has asked me to find him a large gong , only ones I have seen are at the temples , he claims they are made here in Chiang Mai does anyone have a clue where they are made ?"

Have you considered the shipping factors involved in a large gong ? Depending on what you mean by "large" you may require shipping by sea-mail, minimum one cubic meter (but in that cubic meter you can have as much weight as you like as long as it's securely packed). And with sea-mail you have the issue of having a licensed agent get the gong off the ship, and put in a bonded warehouse, having it clear US customs, etc.

We smile thinking of our esteemed Sansai Sam lugging a thirty kilogram Gong back from Tachilek into Mae Sai: perhaps balanced on his head ? ")

good luck, ~o:37;

Get a talking gong. I was at a party in a CM condo last month and a guy had one on the wall. I did not believe that it talked so the owner hand me a big wood mallet and told me to hit it which I did. A very loud GOOOOONGNG. A couple of seconds later a voice from behind the wall the gong was mounted on yelled "It is fuc_king 2:30 in the morning ass hole!"

Thats funny the wall talking ? Yes I told him it would only be feasable to send it by sea . I used a good company to get my things here from the US ... All Im going to do is find it and buy it if he sends me the JACK .... Its going to be his problem to get it back to the US hahahahahaha I may get it for him and end up with a talking wall myself . But in my case it would be a yelling wife .....