Once 300kg Thai Released Home At 87.5kg - Chula Hospital's Success Story

webfact

Chula hospital's success story

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_19192.jpg

For the past four months, some 200 members of the medical staff at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn Hospital have been working hard to bring Atthapon "Pik Namwan" Daengkhamkhun's weight down from 300 kilograms to 87.5kg. The man, who was finally able to walk again, was discharged yesterday.

Vowing to bring his weight down to 70kg, the Nakhon Si Thammarat resident said he felt he was given a new lease on life and hoped he would be given the chance to thank Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya in person for taking him under her patronage.

Hospital director Dr Adisorn Patradul said Atthapon was admitted on August 27 suffering from severe obesity and other related problems such as an irregular heartbeat, difficulty in breathing, hormone deficiency, pulmonary embolism and inability to move. Initially, some eight or 10 people were needed to help turn him over in bed, and the hospital had to use up to 200 members of staff to treat the patient until his weight could be brought down, he said.

Attapon's weight came down to a manageable level after he underwent gastric bypass surgery on November 5. Adisorn also thanked the Princess's Miracle of Life Foundation for trusting the hospital to treat Atthapon.

Surgeon Dr Suthep Udomsawaengsap explained that the patient had to undergo the laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery reducing the size of his stomach, because otherwise, like 90 per cent of other patients, he would gain the weight again.

Atthapon, holding the Princess's picture, said he was delighted with his new body and would work hard to bring his weight down to 70kg. He also said that he would cut down his intake of sugar and carbohydrates, and would instead focus on consuming protein.

Atthapon is planning to return home and set up flower shop with the seed money that was presented to him by Miracle of Life Foundation representative Manas Nonuch.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-17

What a waste of medical resources......helping overweight kathoeys.......there are poor poeple with more depressing and serious ailments that need help. I know of a poor 32 year old Thai guy over at Udomsul area who is in the latent stages of AIDs who cannot even get any acess to medical help as he has no money and the Govt's 30bt medical schme does not cover a lot of the treatments.

The only positive thing I can add about this matter is that at least the hospital's panjandrums, like all puffed up posers unable to miss a photo opportunity, didn't hog the limelight. If this had involved the police you couldn't have seen the real centre of attention for self promoting cops wearing scrambled egg on their caps, having their picture taken pointing accusative fingers before retiring to the arms of their mia nois - or counting their ill gotten

If this character is opening a flower shop there must be an element of whimsy revolving about pansies, but .I if went further I am sure that the PC crowd would climb aboard.   :)

People who want to lose weight but can't stop eating excessive amounts of food need only to perpetrate a crime with a tariff of say six months (maybe try to steal a packet of Lay from 7-11 - something in that order) and spend that time in jail. I gather the cost of keeping an inmate in a Thai jail is no more than about $5 per day, and no expensive doctors are required. So at no expense to the patient, they will emerge after their sentence as lean as they could ever have wished without ever having had to exercise self discipline.

I mean, look what it did for Bout's waistline. :)

Those two hundred staff - where they needed just to hold him back at feeding time?

Gastric by-pass. In Thailand that's where they fasten a tractor tyre over your head so you can't eat.

Are you sure they didn't put him in for some gender bending snips while they were lifting up the flab?

The hosiptal is using the removed fat to run the generators for the next 3 years.

What a waste of medical resources......helping overweight kathoeys.......there are poor poeple with more depressing and serious ailments that need help. I know of a poor 32 year old Thai guy over at Udomsul area who is in the latent stages of AIDs who cannot even get any acess to medical help as he has no money and the Govt's 30bt medical schme does not cover a lot of the treatments.

hi nikhilbkk

Charity.... has no face, no name, no gender....

And I do sincerely hope that out of kindness of your heart you did something beneficiary for the poor person who came across your path that day.

You did, did you not?

Wishing you and yours a very happy holidays season.