Butchery In Chiang Mai

franckbon

Do you know about Northern Farm on Huay Kaew near Canal Road? It's on the south side of the street on the section between the superhighway and Canal road.

Also popular is the Sausage guy on the back entrance to Kad Suan Kaew shopping center.

Seems to have a good reputation but I don't shop there myself.

What types of products are you looking for? At the local markets they have plenty of fresh animal parts in various stages of decomposition.

Okay, this is probably going to be minimally helpful...but I saw an ad on the back of a tuk-tuk the other day...it caught my eye because it was for a "Thai-French Butchery," and also because there was no website, map, address or anything to say where it was. Lots of pretty pictures of meat, though. I bet there was an actual name on the sign too, which escapes me at the moment. Anyway, maybe somebody else on here knows the name. Google tells me it might be called Pon Yang Kham.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for that tuk-tuk ;)

Edited by SadieMBeagle

• 1 year later...

Do you know about Northern Farm on Huay Kaew near Canal Road? It's on the south side of the street on the section between the superhighway and Canal road.

Just visited Northern Farm today. Certainly not as good as it used to be years ago.

Edited by ARISTIDE

I find the beef at Pon Yang Kham to be the best. The sell a wide variety of cuts in a temp. controlled room. The butcher is adequate but the sales girl not so. Northern farms has good pork and acceptable beef but it is unsanitary. Makro is good for chicken and pork but not for beef (and depending on which one for fish). I avoid the Big C and Tesco. Rimping also is worth a look.

• Like 1

Agree about Pon Yang Kham, ignore the sale girls and the waiters. I always purchase beef here like crazy and they treat me like I'm no body. However the butcher guy is very polite but he is not always there. I know a few popular restaurants get their flank steak for their tacos here.

I find the beef at Pon Yang Kham to be the best. The sell a wide variety of cuts in a temp. controlled room. The butcher is adequate but the sales girl not so. Northern farms has good pork and acceptable beef but it is unsanitary. Makro is good for chicken and pork but not for beef (and depending on which one for fish). I avoid the Big C and Tesco. Rimping also is worth a look.

Just visited Northern Farm today. Certainly not as good as it used to be years ago.

Been thinking that myself. Bought 5 burger patties there yesterday and cooked them up and they were filled with hard white grizzle chunks. Would not have seen that 3 years ago.

Junglechef... Where is Pon Yang Kham located? First time I have heard of them.

That's it, take Aristide's advice but also be sure to chk. out the list of cuts. Don't always have them all, it's extensive, and can be out of some of the popular ones such as sirloin steaks, but these are some great ones that can be very hard to find here such as the aforementioned flank steak, which I always buy. I ate in the restaurant once, and not by coincidence it was only once.

Edited by junglechef

The best butchers in Chiang Mai is probably the Rimping and of their 4 branches the one at Nim City (near the Airport Plaza) has the best cuts and the most helpful butchers. They do all the main cuts of beef and pork, local and imported as well as whole chickens, They are supplied by Northern Farms, but get the best cuts in my experience- and as I buy 50-60Kg of meat per week that is quite a bit! They are not cheap mind,, Makro, (particularly the Hang dong Rd branch which was set up with foreigners in mind) also do some good cuts of pork and all the various bits of Chicken at sensible prices.

Must chk. out the Rimping Nim City branch, went to Rimping/Rumchook last week for pork shoulder to make pulled pork and they didn't stock that or many different cuts but Northern Farms did and cut mine to order. (hint: I've never met a Thai who didn't like a nice spicy pulled pork!)

Butcher at Nim City help me fillet the fish as I ask, make my life much easier. They even pull out membrane from baby back ribs for me if I ask them to. If you want special cut ask them and pick it up next day. I live in Nimman near Northern farm but I wont go there.

Must chk. out the Rimping Nim City branch, went to Rimping/Rumchook last week for pork shoulder to make pulled pork and they didn't stock that or many different cuts but Northern Farms did and cut mine to order. (hint: I've never met a Thai who didn't like a nice spicy pulled pork!)