Prices Of Laptops In Thailand?

westybrook

Just seen some prices of Laptops here in the UK and wow! They are very cheap. Ebay they are even more cheaper of course!

What are the prices like in Thailand?

If I was able to get one or two decent machines to bring over with me, what are the chances of selling them? Is there a real demand for second hand laptops, I see the odd one being sold in LOTUS and BIG C on there buy/sell boards that customers can post.

Just seen some prices of Laptops here in the UK and wow!  They are very cheap.  Ebay they are even more cheaper of course!

If I was able to get one or two decent machines to bring over with me, what are the chances of selling them?  Is there a real demand for second hand laptops, I see the odd one being sold in LOTUS and BIG C on there buy/sell boards that customers can post.

what a great idea, bring a container load

and you can take back Som Tam to UK, so much cheaper here :o:D

I think this is a non-starter (as implied by SiamOne). Laptops here are around the same price as the UK if not slightly cheaper (have a look on pantipprice.com).

Unless you have a buyer for a UK spec. machine, forget it.

Check out make and spec. Try absolute top UK spec....all singing and dancing - DVD burner, 60GB HDD, Intel 4 etc etc.... then send me personal message here...

Whilst new lap-tops are cheaper here (VAT @ 7% helps) - there is a tendency for second-hand things to be more expensive than in UK, but I'm not sure by how much...you need at least 30% difference.

Edited by wilko

How good are you in wheeling & dealing?

I looked around in Fortune city and Pantip plaza. The prices for laptops were equal or even higher than in Europe. Luxoury goods, high import tax I guess.

I suppose you have to barter with the shopkeeper to get some discount. And don't forget those nitwits of the customs :o are waiting for you if you bring along the laptop back to the UK.

I am beter off by buying a laptop in a local shop and bring it to LOS.

The biggest problem in pricing 2nd handlap tops is that what was a top of the range model 2 years ago had the same features as a mid range computer 12 months ago, which today are found in entry level machines, on top of which you have wear and tear,shortened battery life and no (or reduced) warantee.

There is a market for cheap laptops B6000 - B15000, anything over this range and people generally think them expensive compared to new entry level machines, regardless of their original asking price.

Laptop prices can be found at:

www.tohome.com

www.fivatech.net

www.hwhinter.com

www.acer.co.th

Many laptop models are specific to certain regions... you can't buy them in other places, and you can't get support for them either. The same models may also have slightly different configurations, such as RAM, harddisk capacity, etc.

Some things in Thailand are really overpriced compared to certain other countries... some things are about the same, and some things are cheaper. Big-screen TVs (40"+ plasmas, rear-projection, LCDs) are about twice as expensive here as in the US. Printers and scanners are about 30-50% more expensive. General processors are about the same, as with mainstream components.

Just bringing along a laptop or two to sell here wouldn't be a great idea. Most Thais would see the lack of a warranty and a Thai keyboard and look away. Your best bet would be to ask if an expat would want a certain model from the UK, and offer to bring it for a price.

Edited by Firefoxx

Just seen some prices of Laptops here in the UK and wow!  They are very cheap.  Ebay they are even more cheaper of course!

If I was able to get one or two decent machines to bring over with me, what are the chances of selling them?  Is there a real demand for second hand laptops, I see the odd one being sold in LOTUS and BIG C on there buy/sell boards that customers can post.

I know an old boy over here who knocks out second hand laptops at less than a hundred quid each.In fact last one I picked up was for £40 ..windows 98 but with full internet facs. :D

Now I take one out on all of my regular visits but wifes nieces want new ones.... :o ...Thai femail one up man ship.....no way.... you will get a ice cream and lump it.

Buy the old dial up 250 bt 50 hour cards at Secon and you are away..... :D

When you are in the U.K. and buy a new laptop; just ask for a VAT form when you buy it, (All stores have them) they will fill it out and stamp it, then you fill in your bit and when you leave the U.K. customs will give you your 17.5% VAT back.

The conditions are that you are NOR that is not been in the UK for more than 365 days in the last 3 years. Bingo!

I have done it for expensive mobile phones as well. At London Heathrow, they give you cash back, at Manchester you post your receipt into a customs letterbox and wait for the cheque, better to get it paid into your bank account by BACS though; the postal system in the LOS is !!**£**