Thai Govt Not Hunting Red Shirts: Deputy PM Suthep

webfact

Government not hunting Red Shirts: Deputy PM Suthep

BANGKOK, Dec 23 - Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Thursday denied accusations that the leading anti-government Red Shirt members are being hunted down by the government following the suspicious death of a movement guard in the northern province of Chiang Mai.

The deputy premier, who oversees national security, made the statement after well-known Red Shirt guard Noi Banjong, also known as "DJ Daeng Kotchasarn", was found dead Dec 19 in Chiang Mai's Mae On district, with pills of drugs found beside his body.

Red Shirt supporters in Chiang Mai claimed the guard was hunted down and killed by the government, and that his death is unconnected with drugs. The implication is that government agents or others did away with the activist, making it look to be a drugs matter.

Mr Suthep said he has instructed the commander of Police Region 5 to investigate the case.

The regional police commander reported that police received a phone call from a villager reporting a dead body and that the police quickly inspected the scene but they were unable to identify the victim until two days later, Mr Suthep said.

The deputy prime minister pledged he would do his best to bring the killers to justice, and urged the public to inform police about any possible clue to the case.

"As I am responsible for national security, I can reaffirm that I have never thought of hunting anyone to death," asserted Mr Suthep. "What I must do is to bring the culprit to face justice. It's definitely not government policy to kill anyone."

Mr Suthep however insisted that it is necessary that the security-concerned agencies continue monitoring any move of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), adding that the action is not aimed at nagging at them, but to monitor moves which may cause disturbances to the country.

The deputy premier added until now no irregularity has been reported after a state of emergency was lifted in the capital and its three surrounding provinces of Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani on Wednesday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-12-23

Deputy PM Denies State-Sanctioned Persecution of Red Shirts

The deputy prime minister denies that the government has sanctioned a persecution of the red-shirt group.

The Deputy Prime Minister in charge of national security, Suthep Thaugsuban, has reaffirmed that the government has no policy to persecute the red-shirts as accused by some.

However, Suthep admitted that those who have broken the law must be brought to justice.

Regarding the recent murder of a red-shirt leader in Chiang Mai, he said the police have been ordered to catch the culprit, and the public has been asked to cooperate with the authorities for the investigation.

When asked about the bail request for the jailed red-shirt leaders, Suthep responded by saying it is the court's decision, and he cannot say whether bail will be granted or not.

After the state of emergency was lifted in Bangkok and surrounding areas, there have been no incidents.

The deputy prime minister also reiterated that the government has a responsibility to maintain security, and is not aiming to use the armed forces for political purposes.

The military will only be deployed to support the police in overseeing rallies and protests.

The deputy prime minister also indicated that the government is working on a bill to regulate public assemblies, which will be introduced in the next parliamentary session.

Suthep has also added that the government is prepared to defend all actions taken by the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-23

footer_n.gif

Deputy PM Denies State-Sanctioned Persecution of Red Shirts

The deputy prime minister denies that the government has sanctioned a persecution of the red-shirt group.

The Deputy Prime Minister in charge of national security, Suthep Thaugsuban, has reaffirmed that the government has no policy to persecute the red-shirts as accused by some.

However, Suthep admitted that those who have broken the law must be brought to justice.

Regarding the recent murder of a red-shirt leader in Chiang Mai, he said the police have been ordered to catch the culprit, and the public has been asked to cooperate with the authorities for the investigation.

When asked about the bail request for the jailed red-shirt leaders, Suthep responded by saying it is the court's decision, and he cannot say whether bail will be granted or not.

After the state of emergency was lifted in Bangkok and surrounding areas, there have been no incidents.

The deputy prime minister also reiterated that the government has a responsibility to maintain security, and is not aiming to use the armed forces for political purposes.

The military will only be deployed to support the police in overseeing rallies and protests.

The deputy prime minister also indicated that the government is working on a bill to regulate public assemblies, which will be introduced in the next parliamentary session.

Suthep has also added that the government is prepared to defend all actions taken by the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-23

footer_n.gif

Ruddy typical of the red shirt leaders. The moment there is any adverse event they seize the opportunity with both hands to blame the Government and create more divisions in society. Do these people not have brains, and if they do has anyone ever taught them how to use them? God knows what happened to this poor bloke who has been gunned down but for goodness sake why do they just open their mouths without allowing a proper investigation to take place? Far from gaining political capital out of this tragedy, they are simply making themselves look even more foolish in the eyes of those who are able to think for themselves. As for the kwais that hang onto their every word, well at some time the old maxim will come true .... you can fool some of the people some of the time ...........(etc). It beggars belief.

Like when they steal the body of protesters from the morg, before proper autopsy carried out, to parade the carcass around for political capital.

Sickos.

Even after dead; it shows how people realy is just a tool for the red elite!

From the headline [inadequate again Nation ] I hoped it was because they'd either killed them all or knew where to find them.

The dead man, a leader of the red mist, wasa low life criminal involved in the drugs trade and died as a consequence.

Whatever publicity the red Mist bring to his death it does publicise that he was an unsavoury character that no one on the right side of the law will mourn any time soon.

They are a rag tag rubbish collection of thugs; rent a mob. No brains or ideology; just pure unadulterated thuggery.

I do believe the State has a right to deal with them harshly in order to be effective. You can not reconcile with the views of extremists. You can however, isolate them, neutralise them and then ignore them in order to move forward. They should be crushed and I think that by stealth that is already happening.

Without a belief system, a set of values to unite them, we already have a slow disintegration, different factions, reluctant leadership and lack of organisation. Such a body like any legitimate political group can not survive under such circumstances. And this group is by no means legitimate.

From the headline [inadequate again Nation ] I hoped it was because they'd either killed them all or knew where to find them.

The dead man, a leader of the red mist, wasa low life criminal involved in the drugs trade and died as a consequence.

Whatever publicity the red Mist bring to his death it does publicise that he was an unsavoury character that no one on the right side of the law will mourn any time soon.

They are a rag tag rubbish collection of thugs; rent a mob. No brains or ideology; just pure unadulterated thuggery.

I do believe the State has a right to deal with them harshly in order to be effective. You can not reconcile with the views of extremists. You can however, isolate them, neutralise them and then ignore them in order to move forward. They should be crushed and I think that by stealth that is already happening.

Without a belief system, a set of values to unite them, we already have a slow disintegration, different factions, reluctant leadership and lack of organisation. Such a body like any legitimate political group can not survive under such circumstances. And this group is by no means legitimate.

This is a really really harsh post. I have been rarely offensive to some who choose to misrepresent speculation as fact, which is what you're doing here.

I also think that a lot in this particular group of Red Shirts are a "rag tag rubbish collection of thugs", and certainly those on the RCM51 radio station (which includes this guy) but I very much doubt you know for a fact that Kotchasarn was involved in drugs, even if he was a tuk tuk driver, Red Shirt activist/protagonist and anti-govt radio DJ.

If you don't know, please do yourself a favour and don't make out that you do know. It will gain much respect :)

well-known Red Shirt guard Noi Banjong, also known as "DJ Daeng Kotchasarn"

police quickly inspected the scene but they were unable to identify the victim until two days later, Mr Suthep said.

surely a bit of a contradiction here

well-known Red Shirt guard Noi Banjong, also known as "DJ Daeng Kotchasarn"

police quickly inspected the scene but they were unable to identify the victim until two days later, Mr Suthep said.

surely a bit of a contradiction here

Not if he had been dead several days in excessive heat.

I won't go into forensic details about decomposition, but it is real.

Government not hunting Red Shirts. They don't need to. Just hold them without trials forever.

-Finally a intelligent post.

You are absolutely correct treat them like Terrorists.B)

No ... Piengrudee doesn't do intelligent posts. Witty maybe. Trollish probably. But intelligent .............. :rolleyes:

Edited by whybother