Passport

bunnjohn

hello to all

can anybody help me on this problem my english wife had to day in thailand.

we went for our useual 90 day stamp at cambodian border. as useual they

take your passport and money over and come back all done.

well today they came back with my passport done. but said my wife had

problem with hers as no empty page to put cambodian stamp in as you know

it takes up a full page so she had to write and sign a small note to say

they could put it on a page with older thai stamps on and pay another

1,000 bht the passport has got 3 years to run. has anybody got any idears

what to do ready for next time.

your bunnjohn

my guess is it was poi pet

it is a scam

they can find the space if they want to

they got me once

very hard to fight it

be prepared

If a full page is not free it is NOT a scam.

If you pay they can put it over other stamps or use one of the non-valid pages (first and last in the PP) and look over the fact that it isn't a valid position...be happy they accept it and his wife didn't get stranded in Cambodia for 3-4 weeks...

it is a scam

they got me once

very hard to fight it

be prepared

If you pay they can put it over other stamps or use one of the non-valid pages (first and last in the PP) and look over the fact that it isn't a valid position...be happy they accept it and his wife didn't get stranded in Cambodia for 3-4 weeks...

in both cases, mine and the op's

they DID manage to find the space

because they were motivated to do so

by money

in my case there was clearly more than one blank page at the end of the pp but it did not say VISA on it as it did on the other previous pages, like it really mattered

they didn't like me because at the time i was giving them 20 bucks as the sign said above the window and not the 1000 baht they extort from the innocent backpackers

yes it was a scam no doubt from my point of view

especially conveyed by their completely selfish attitudes

this was years ago at poi pet

they were notorious a@@h@@@@ and everyone knew it

perhaps things have changed

i certainly hope so

Edited by deejah

it is a scam

they got me once

very hard to fight it

be prepared

by money

in my case there was clearly more than one blank page at the end of the pp but it did not say VISA on it as it did on the other previous pages, like it really mattered

they didn't like me because at the time i was giving them 20 bucks as the sign said above the window and not the 1000 baht they extort from the innocent backpackers

i certainly hope so

It is NOT a scam since YOUR WIFE was in the wrong, trying to get a VISA/stamp into a page that lacks the proper 'credentials'.

Don't confuse their willingness to take a bribe and break the rules with a scam. A scam would be to claim that they couldn't use a valid page. This is clearly not the case here.

If her passport was left into en embassy in Europe it would just have been declined - so where does the scam come in?

it is a scam

they got me once

very hard to fight it

be prepared

by money

i certainly hope so

It is NOT a scam since YOUR WIFE was in the wrong, trying to get a VISA/stamp into a page that lacks the proper 'credentials'.

Don't confuse their willingness to take a bribe and break the rules with a scam. A scam would be to claim that they couldn't use a valid page. This is clearly not the case here.

If her passport was left into en embassy in Europe it would just have been declined - so where does the scam come in?

I love this statement. I couldn't agree more. Too many westerners are way to quick to scream SCAM. This goes for so many things besides passports. I mean traffic tickets, visas, etc. If it is a legitimate law or rule that YOU need violated, then pay the bribe and be happy that you are not in your own country, where it would be outright refused. I would love to see the look on your face if you were trying to enter the US or Canada or the UK and offered a bribe to be allowed in illegally, and you were thrown in jail. The same goes for bribing a cop because you didn't have a helmet on, or ran a red light, etc. Be happy we have the option of paying a bribe for our indiscretions.

I love this statement. I couldn't agree more. Too many westerners are way to quick to scream SCAM. This goes for so many things besides passports. I mean traffic tickets, visas, etc. If it is a legitimate law or rule that YOU need violated, then pay the bribe and be happy that you are not in your own country, where it would be outright refused. I would love to see the look on your face if you were trying to enter the US or Canada or the UK and offered a bribe to be allowed in illegally, and you were thrown in jail. The same goes for bribing a cop because you didn't have a helmet on, or ran a red light, etc. Be happy we have the option of paying a bribe for our indiscretions.

Be thankful you are in Asia where people have a can do attitude and the ability to think outside the box.

Just wondering why anybody would hand in a 95 - 99% full passport, anywhere in the world, and expect to get a visa stamp?

And in many countries , if the passport was this full, you would possibly be declined an entry stamp on arrival, regardless of whether it's a country where you need a visa in advance or a country which grants a visa on arrival.?

Surely, OP, with not one full empty page, you should have anticipated months ago that there might be a problem and already got a new passport.

You already knew that a new passport would be needed in the very near future, why not get the new pasport earlier and avoid any problems like this?

I'm confused. Did I misread the news?

Cambodia, Thailand to sign visa exception agreement

16:43, November 17, 2010

Cambodia and Thailand will sign the long-waited visa exception agreement for ordinary passports on Wednesday evening, said Prime Minister Hun Sen.

"There will be a signing ceremony by the two countries' foreign affairs ministers on visa exception on ordinary passports this evening after the bilateral meeting between Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and I," said Hun Sen at a press conference after the conclusion of the 6th CLV (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam), 5th CLMV (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam) and 4th ACMECS (Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy) Summit.

"It is a new progressive step in the relations between the two countries that allow people of the two countries travel freely without visa fees," he said.

The agreement was to provide 2 week entry starting on December 19th. Previously Thai and Cambodia citizens required tourist visas to visit.

/ 29DEC10 / 1053 UTC

National Thailand (TH) /Destination Cambodia (KH)

Cambodia (KH)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months after the date of arrival.

Visa required, except for Holders of a normal passport for a

max. stay of 14 days being national of Thailand.

Just wondering why anybody would hand in a 95 - 99% full passport, anywhere in the world, and expect to get a visa stamp?

And in many countries , if the passport was this full, you would possibly be declined an entry stamp on arrival, regardless of whether it's a country where you need a visa in advance or a country which grants a visa on arrival.?

Surely, OP, with not one full empty page, you should have anticipated months ago that there might be a problem and already got a new passport.

You already knew that a new passport would be needed in the very near future, why not get the new pasport earlier and avoid any problems like this?

Absolutely agreed. It is a Passport holders responsibility to ensure that the Passport is valid, has sufficient space for Visas and entry stamps , and is not damaged, etc..

One experience i had was at Changi airport heading to my home country and at the boarding lounge apart from the check in staff there were people from our Embassy consular section checking passports. My passport was slightly damaged with the rear page partly torn out wher eit is sewn in and I was told "this passport is damaged , you need to get anew one before you travel again".. and after objecting that it still had valid pages was told "bad luck - its damaged - it is not valid"

If you know you are going to travel and have only little space then you need to get a new one from your closest Embassy. Claiming ignorance is no excuse and claiming scam is ridiculous.