Insisting On Outbound Tickets Right Now?

I'm flying to Phuket before the end of the year - but only intend to stay 30days this time - so no tourist visa this time.

My question is - Are they checking for outbound tickets at the moment?

Recently, on previous visits, no one seemed bothered. But a few years ago, Thai immigration were irritatingly thorough about checking. I remember taking my computer out to show them my outbound e-ticket.

I've always thought the policy was really stupid, for a country connected to four other by land, and more by boat.

So what's the status now? - are they checking for outbound tickets?

About 3 months ago I flew from KL to Phuket on Air Asia. It was the return leg of a round trip ticket so I had no ticket outbound from Thailand. I used the self check in kiosk and there was nobody to check whether I had an outbound ticket from Thailand. I did have a visa but Air Asia had no way of knowing that.

Good Luck.

By the way as many people here have suggested, you can buy a full fare refundable ticket back to KL and then refund it once here. I have no idea how long it would take AA to refund the money though. They may even try jerking you around by say something like you have a credit for your next flight. Might be better to do that with an airline that is not a low cost carrier like Malaysia Airlines or something. I would trust them to refund my money a bit more.

Edited by Pakaty

Right now if you are from a good nationality in the eyes of Immigration and you don't do back to back border runs via land you wont have any problem.

By the way outbound ticket can also be a train ticket to Malaysia or a prearranged tour to another country as long as you have the proof for it.

Per what Pakaty wrote, the self-check kiosk in KL is the best way to go in any event. I have flown HKT<->KL many times in the past year and the kiosk is the best thing AirAsia has done. The check-in line at KL-LCCT can get very long but few seem to be aware of the kiosk just 20 m away, quick and easy. And fer sure no ticket agent hassle ... although probably would not have any such even if you used the counter. AA service people seem much better outside of Thailand.

Ok, reassured that I don't need to plan my outbound journey.

But I'm curious about other comments...

when thai immigration, put your passport though their computer ,

they have a fair idea if they are dealing with a chancer . :jap:

the net is tightening . AARR

:jap:

...but what's the definition of a "chancer"? "put your passport though their computer "? What you're saying is that there's an algorithm that determines how much of a "chancer" you are - based on the dates and durations of your past stays in Thailand? - Is that right?

@klauswernst198... I'm probably NOT a good nationality in the eyes of Thai immigration. I'm British. And in the past few years, I've tended to spend on-average six months every year in Thailand. So I DO tend to do land border runs, half-way through tourist visas, to get onto the second entry.

A lot of people are talking about an tourism crack-down. But what are the guidelines? How many months should I leave between visits to Thailand? Or for how many years can I go there on tourist visas, before a Thai immigration office in Australia / UK / Malaysia decide that I have too many - and decide that Thailand is OFF my itinerary from now on?