Dragon Fruit

Thetyim

My wife and I like dragon fruit and decided to plant some in the garden.

We have visited three businesses around here and I have done some research on the net.

It appears to be easy to grow, needs little water, little attention and no special equipment. We have planted 60 cuttings today and can expect some fruit in only eight months.

The figures for large scale production (1000+ plants) seem to stack up quite nicely. Anyone here tried it ?

It does seem to be one of the world's ugliest plants. But, as you say, it seems to be easy to grow and quite productive. We have just a few cuttings that are not very old. I'm looking for a spot in the garden that's not too visible!

I didn't really know anything about it until I decided to look it up on the 'net. Was surprised to see that it's a major crop in Israel.

It seems to grow well here and I'm fascinated by the way it is grown commercially.

Keep us posted on your results and let us have a photo now and then.

I think the question is does anyone not grow it here in Thailand? It has been stacked to the rafters in every market I have seen the last year or so but maybe I am wrong and it is all being imported - but I don't think so. At any rate it looks like a huge oversupply now.

They are all over the country but I am in Bangkok and normal selling price is 30-35 baht per KG according to wife (although nobody in our house likes it). It was stacked up in market of Chumphae where we were there last month (but don't know if surplus or not). Wife says it is grown in Thailand and not imported from Vietnam as before. I wonder if it all comes to market at one time perhaps?

The price has gone up from 25 to 30 baht in Phrae.

It produces all year round but slows down in the wet season.

Your wife is correct, it used to come in from Vietnam.

Oversupply is what I would expect from something as easy to grow as this . I have seen durian at 5 baht/kilo during over supply so why is the price of dragon fruit staying up.

It is probably still a novelty upcountry where here in Bangkok it was available imported a decade ago and has lost its luster (but Bangkok would still be the high price market so people try to sell here). The oil price is causing everything to move upward and as you know those that can will take every advantage so price now may not hold too long. Also the old never reduce price mentality may be at play. Can not say you are wrong just from what I have seen from here in Bangkok it sure has not looked to be any shortage this year and I have commented several times on how every stand now seems to sell it.

I was given a dragonfruit plant (together with concrete pipe and ring) about 2 years ago. It flowered last year but no fruit. This year it's flowered and up to now has produced one fruit which the birds ate. BTW it's the red (internal) variety which I am told is very rare.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks ,all these posts are about a year old . Give us an update on your success/failor.

We are near Udon Thani and just planted about 100 plants with plans for more .

We plan to seel on the local market or from a fruit stand in front of the house( thats how the very few other growers- only about 1000 posts -with 4 plants each in the Udon area --do it.

Where are the pitfalls and dangers ?

With all this talk about global warming and even more prolonged droughts ,a cactus with low maintenace seems like a godsent??!!

Am I missing something??