Ducati: New Factory In Thailand

MrYogi

Word at the moment is an entry level Monster and Hypermotard and, would you believe, possibly a Ducati scooter (called the Ducathai) :ermm: to be made here and only sold in the region.

AFAIK, Superbikes etc. will remain at the Bologna plant.

Oh, and a new dealer/workshop on Rama III.

Edited by RusticCharm

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems unlikely Ducati would sell bikes at 400k even if they could.

It would hurt their super premium brand positioning as well as the resale value on all the existing bikes in the market.

Ducati is not a mass market player, I imagine they'd prefer to keep margins high with lower unit sales to protect the exclusivity of the marque.

Besides, companies don't establish lower cost manufacturing so they pass the benefits on to consumer!

Cheer.

I think you guys are wrong but we'll see

Answer me this: If Ducati thinks artificially keeping their prices at 2x what they are in other countries then why don't they do it back home? Why don't they say hey were a premium brand let's double prices! I'll tell you why because it's a short sighted business model doomed to fail. People are not stupid. Good luck triumph when locally priced ducatis arrive...

A duc scooter sounds ridiculous but it's actually yet another sign Ducati wants a piece of the action in SEA...

Answer me this: If Ducati thinks artificially keeping their prices at 2x what they are in other countries then why don't they do it back home? Why don't they say hey were a premium brand let's double prices! I'll tell you why because it's a short sighted business model doomed to fail. People are not stupid. Good luck triumph when locally priced ducatis arrive...

Dunno mate, Ducati is selling record numbers of bikes in Thailand at their current outrageous prices so why change what is clearly a successful business plan?

Outrageous customs duties etc. come into play when it comes to pricing, hence the need for a factory in Thailand. You can't compare the prices charged by huge Jap corporations churning out bikes by the thousands on massive production lines to what a relatively small Italian company can charge. Now I'm not hating on the Japs here (though Kawasaki pulling out of MotoGP was pathetic) as I'd love an R1, CBR 1000 or a GSXR 750 but let's be realistic.

Dunno mate, Ducati is selling record numbers of bikes in Thailand at their current outrageous prices so why change what is clearly a successful business plan?

I can think of many reasons:

1 - Companies don't change their strategy in one country. They're lazy - they have a strategy and go with it. Ducati is not competing on price around the world but they still compete on value - they sell premium bikes for premium prices. They're not going to sit there and think - hey, let's rip off everyone in SEA. They're going to say: "How can we get around those import taxes". -> Factory being the solution.

2 - Whatever numbers they sell at inflated prices, they will sell way more at normal prices. If they build a factory they need to run it at full capacity to maximize profit. If they make 10,000 bikes they don't want to sell 1,000 at 2x price (and make a huge loss on the 9,000 sitting in the lot). They'll want to sell all 10,000.

3 - They're not currently making crazy profits from the current inflated prices. This is all tax money going to the government. They will make much more profit from a Thai made bike sold at 400k than an Italian made sold at 800k.

4 - If they sold the Thai made models (high profit) at 2x markup and imported models at normal (low profit) they'd compete with their own low-profit import bikes. Not good.

I could probably think of more... ;)

From DucatiThailand

"In addition to existing model updates, a brand new 2012 Ducati Monster 795 model, developed exclusively for Asia, will be unveiled during the upcoming Sepang MotoGP event in Malaysia. The specially developed model represents an important introduction for the iconic Monster model into the Asia Pacific."

• 2 weeks later...

From DucatiThailand

"In addition to existing model updates, a brand new 2012 Ducati Monster 795 model, developed exclusively for Asia, will be unveiled during the upcoming Sepang MotoGP event in Malaysia. The specially developed model represents an important introduction for the iconic Monster model into the Asia Pacific."

Well, if I'm wrong, and they do offer a 796 Monster at 400K, my wife will be first in line!

Cheers.

I got the same info as RusticCharm.

Guess I was wrong... guess who's first in line!

Cheers.

Just sayin, but: with an equally-matched rider, suitably motivated to throw his Italian machinery into a fray, a Diavel would leave a Versys for dead cool.gif . The slowest lap I've seen at SEacon was a local on a 999. Dude was just putting around, having fun on his toy.

...The Diavel is a cool looking cruiser (if you're into that kind of thing), but it's certainly not a sport bike and what with it's massive weight, very long wheelbase, lack of cornering clearance and 240 width rear tire. It'll never go around a track like a Versys will. Not dissing the Diavel. It's a cruiser, not a sport bike. Respect to the guy in the vid getting rid of his chicken strips. He had that Diavel leaned over as far as it would go. Which on a 240 isn't very far. ;)

Making it up as you go along?

The two bikes are pretty close in weight, the Versys CG will be very unsportbike-like due to its 33" seat height, its fork angle looks too steep for high speed track stability, and its skinny 160 rear tire, cheap suspension & brakes are not sportbike material.

Neither bikes are sportbikes by the press' accounts and common sense, but I'd bet on the Diavel on-track over a Versys unless it was as tight as the Seacon kart track. Its a Ducati. Oh, then there's that 160HP - triple the versys?- 41 deg lean angle, slipper clutch, monoblock brembos and traction control.

Only thing they have in common is an embarrassing name :]

Fact Check:

http://www.motorcycl...Ride-Video.aspx

Edited by bbradsby

Me, I want a Hypermotard with extra set of dirt wheels and a bash plate for BKK commuting, motard shenanigans and mild cross country runs.

Anybody know how soon will pricing be official for Thai delivery bikes?

Announcement will apparently be made at Sepang 21-23 Oct, and pricing should be available soon after.

Rumour suggests they'll be taking orders from next month for delivery starting December.

Cheers.

Just sayin, but: with an equally-matched rider, suitably motivated to throw his Italian machinery into a fray, a Diavel would leave a Versys for dead cool.gif . The slowest lap I've seen at SEacon was a local on a 999. Dude was just putting around, having fun on his toy.

...The Diavel is a cool looking cruiser (if you're into that kind of thing), but it's certainly not a sport bike and what with it's massive weight, very long wheelbase, lack of cornering clearance and 240 width rear tire. It'll never go around a track like a Versys will. Not dissing the Diavel. It's a cruiser, not a sport bike. Respect to the guy in the vid getting rid of his chicken strips. He had that Diavel leaned over as far as it would go. Which on a 240 isn't very far. ;)

Making it up as you go along?

The two bikes are pretty close in weight, the Versys CG will be very unsportbike-like due to its 33" seat height, its fork angle looks too steep for high speed track stability, and its skinny 160 rear tire, cheap suspension & brakes are not sportbike material.

Neither bikes are sportbikes by the press' accounts and common sense, but I'd bet on the Diavel on-track over a Versys unless it was as tight as the Seacon kart track. Its a Ducati. Oh, then there's that 160HP - triple the versys?- 41 deg lean angle, slipper clutch, monoblock brembos and traction control.

Only thing they have in common is an embarrassing name :]

Fact Check:

http://www.motorcycl...Ride-Video.aspx

The Versys is no supersport, but it is pretty fun at the track. Even with it's huge deficit in power and budget brakes and suspension it will still easily dispatch a Diavel on anything but a drag circuit.

The Diavel is a "performance cruiser" while the Versys is a go anywhere road bike. I'm not trying to diss the Diavel, but let's call it what it is, ok?

The Versys is no supersport, but it is pretty fun at the track. Even with it's huge deficit in power and budget brakes and suspension it will still easily dispatch a Diavel on anything but a drag circuit.

The Diavel is a "performance cruiser" while the Versys is a go anywhere road bike. I'm not trying to diss the Diavel, but let's call it what it is, ok?

no worries. reasonable minds can disagree. neither one would be my bike of choice, even in a reasonable taxation environment. For the price of a Diavel, I'd get a real Duc. For the price of a Versys, not sure what I'd get - maybe the faired version 650? Of the Nippon machinery, only the Kawis still hold a place in my heart since I got my first real bike adrenaline [and ticket] on an H2 triple rice smoker.

Its called the Monster 795 - Asia gets one less, I guess...

Well, Ducati aren't really known for their accuracy with regards to cc and naming bikes. The 848 has 849 cc's. The S2R1000 had 998 I think.

It's 803cc, just like the 796. It's called 795 because it's a cheaper version of the 796 - frame of the 696, apparently.

Its called the Monster 795 - Asia gets one less, I guess...

Well, Ducati aren't really known for their accuracy with regards to cc and naming bikes. The 848 has 849 cc's. The S2R1000 had 998 I think.

It's 803cc, just like the 796. It's called 795 because it's a cheaper version of the 796 - frame of the 696, apparently.

So it's basically a Monster 696 with an 796 engine :unsure: .

That's good because whatever the price may be, it's not in the same league as my 1100EVO :rolleyes: .

I was in the Ducati dealer in Udon yesterday, he said the bkk office confirmed that the bike would be 399,000 THB and the first delivery would be December. He seemed to think it came with ABS. The specification seemed to indicate it was an option though. I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect stablemate for my Vespa 300. I just need someone to set up a Ducati dealer in Pattaya/Rayong.

I was in the Ducati dealer in Udon yesterday, he said the bkk office confirmed that the bike would be 399,000 THB and the first delivery would be December. He seemed to think it came with ABS. The specification seemed to indicate it was an option though. I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect stablemate for my Vespa 300. I just need someone to set up a Ducati dealer in Pattaya/Rayong.

Good info! Price is in line with the rumored price in India for the ABS version...

Looks like Ducati is cleverly avoiding competition with its own imported bikes by cranking out new models in its Thai factory. So owners of the existing 796 don't need to be sad as they have a better bike, finance companies can proceed as usual, etc. Who'd have guessed?! It's smart.

I don't think "everyone" will buy one, but I do believe that Thais will snap these up in large numbers. Owning a Ducati or BMW is just a completely different proposition to a Japanese bike, it's like Mercedes vs Toyota, and putting them within reach of many more buyers sounds like a brilliant plan.

There's lots of expats here on this forum but in the grand scheme of things we're a drop in the bucket and not worth - as a separate market - the attention of any major manufacturer. I do have the feeling that while westerners will say "yeah Ducati is a little nicer than Kawasaki" for Thais it's a much bigger difference. The brand name counts for much more. Certainly true for the wife! :D

I do have the feeling that while westerners will say "yeah Ducati is a little nicer than Kawasaki" for Thais it's a much bigger difference. The brand name counts for much more. Certainly true for the wife! :D

'Ducati is a little nicer than Kawasaki'? Understatement, methinks!

I think westerners and knowledgable Thais will also consider Ducati's excellent racing heritage.