Fortuner Question

gisjames

4WD is generally more sought after used.

More sought after - but would it have much of an impact on the re-sale price?

I mean the 2WD is 60k cheaper, and has better fuel economy and performance, right?

So in 2 years time, the question to ask is are you going to get 60k more and in turn any benefits in fuel savings?

Like any car MPV the top of the range. Navi/Sportivo. With the Sportivo way out front. You have only got to look at the Thai's that cant afford one, buying a two wheel drive bottom of the range & sticking bit's on to make it into a look alike. Thai's like Bling. Check out the small add's how many top of the range do you see very few, Why because their gone before they reach the open market. Same with the Pajero and the SPORT Ive only had mine Sportivo 18 + month's and have already had two Thai's asking to buy it. The better the model the better the resale.

Edited by fredob43

James,

I am about to buy a car (I have another fortuner thread running concurrently). Purely on a financial basis, I have all but decided to go for the 4x2 3.0V.

It is 160k cheaper than the sportivo, is otherwise equiped exactly the same as the 4x4, and is about 20% more fuel efficient so over a period of 3 years its going to cost about 200k less (not including servicing and % on fiance). There is also a minor improvement in performance derived from pulling about 120kg less 4x4 equipment.

I had been considering the sportivo, but while the sportivo is no doubt a far nice looking car, the non-sportivo is far from ugly - and neither comes close to say a Q7 for beauty...... so lets not kid ourselves, they are all just a poor mans equivalent of what most aspire to. So, I have ocncluded that since I am not Thai then the peacocking is not a requirement in order for me to maintain my sense of man-hood and so I'm gonna spend the 160k on something else, which I will enjoy, that I would otherwise not "splash out" on.

Furthermore, I figure the 200k that I will "save" is more (in terms of baht) than the difference in depreciation. Yes, the 4x2 might depreciate (say) 20% while the sportivo will loose (say) 10% - but 20% is 255k while 10% is 145k...... so I'm still quids in to the tune of almost 100k....... (those percentages obvisouly need to be rationalised with real-life, but the ponit I'm making is that if the 4x2 deprecaites twice as fast percentage wise, the actual baht difference will probably never tip the balance).

Not suggesting you should do the same, nor that my deductions are concrete, just letting you know where I am heading in my (similar) situation.

James,

I am about to buy a car (I have another fortuner thread running concurrently). Purely on a financial basis, I have all but decided to go for the 4x2 3.0V.

It is 160k cheaper than the sportivo, is otherwise equiped exactly the same as the 4x4, and is about 20% more fuel efficient so over a period of 3 years its going to cost about 200k less (not including servicing and % on fiance). There is also a minor improvement in performance derived from pulling about 120kg less 4x4 equipment.

I had been considering the sportivo, but while the sportivo is no doubt a far nice looking car, the non-sportivo is far from ugly - and neither comes close to say a Q7 for beauty...... so lets not kid ourselves, they are all just a poor mans equivalent of what most aspire to. So, I have ocncluded that since I am not Thai then the peacocking is not a requirement in order for me to maintain my sense of man-hood and so I'm gonna spend the 160k on something else, which I will enjoy, that I would otherwise not "splash out" on.

Furthermore, I figure the 200k that I will "save" is more (in terms of baht) than the difference in depreciation. Yes, the 4x2 might depreciate (say) 20% while the sportivo will loose (say) 10% - but 20% is 255k while 10% is 145k...... so I'm still quids in to the tune of almost 100k....... (those percentages obvisouly need to be rationalised with real-life, but the ponit I'm making is that if the 4x2 deprecaites twice as fast percentage wise, the actual baht difference will probably never tip the balance).

Not suggesting you should do the same, nor that my deductions are concrete, just letting you know where I am heading in my (similar) situation.

Seem's logical. And yes we would all like a Q7 but at the price over here you would have to be brain dead or crazy to buy one. The sportivo is less than 1.5mil. I had 2 mil to spend and I thought that it looked like the best value for money. 2mil+ would only just get you a crappy BMW. You only have to look at the price of a Mini here 3 time's the price of one in the UK.

4x2 3.O V nice car enjoy.

James,

Seem's logical. And yes we would all like a Q7 but at the price over here you would have to be brain dead or crazy to buy one. The sportivo is less than 1.5mil. I had 2 mil to spend and I thought that it looked like the best value for money. 2mil+ would only just get you a crappy BMW. You only have to look at the price of a Mini here 3 time's the price of one in the UK.

I'd just like to add - in case any further readers misunderstand my meaning previsouly, I do not mean to suggest that "if you buy a sportivo you are peacocking" nor do I mean to suggest that those who do not opt for the sportivo are settling for second best or cannot afford it...... simply that for those of us who are penny conscious about such things, the 4x2 is a prudent financial decision. If you've got the cash and nothing else to spend it on (or nothing else you would rather spend it on) then who cares about the residuals, go for the sexy one ;)

James,

I'd just like to add - in case any further readers misunderstand my meaning previsouly, I do not mean to suggest that "if you buy a sportivo you are peacocking" nor do I mean to suggest that those who do not opt for the sportivo are settling for second best or cannot afford it...... simply that for those of us who are penny conscious about such things, the 4x2 is a prudent financial decision. If you've got the cash and nothing else to spend it on (or nothing else you would rather spend it on) then who cares about the residuals, go for the sexy one ;)

I for one never thought that, peacocking that is. It's just that what ever car MPV I got had to have VSC, C/Con, Sat/Nav, so it would have to be top of the range the top is the Navi but was 50,000bt more at the time and I did the same as you saved cash + I also thought it looked better, got a deal on Sat/Nav, + lot's of goodies put on for free. Rear camera, tint's, tyre pressure gauge. window thingy's, over carpet's, wing mirror light's, + some chrome bit's around light's ect. In the end was still cheaper. Same as your doing save cash. Right up my street. Go for it. One extra that's great is xenon light's well worth the extra.

James,

I for one never thought that, peacocking that is. It's just that what ever car MPV I got had to have VSC, C/Con, Sat/Nav, so it would have to be top of the range the top is the Navi but was 50,000bt more at the time and I did the same as you saved cash + I also thought it looked better, got a deal on Sat/Nav, + lot's of goodies put on for free. Rear camera, tint's, tyre pressure gauge. window thingy's, over carpet's, wing mirror light's, + some chrome bit's around light's ect. In the end was still cheaper. Same as your doing save cash. Right up my street. Go for it. One extra that's great is xenon light's well worth the extra.

But forget the chrome thingy's around the lights eh (tacky). :D

FREE I like FREE go for it. Look's ok round the head light's, but only the Toyota one's. Got the door handle one's as well not because of the look's, Thai's dont take care when I had my Vigo within week's had scratch mark's on the paint, had to put them on that, so it's on the new one.

FREE I like FREE go for it. Look's ok round the head light's, but only the Toyota one's. Got the door handle one's as well not because of the look's, Thai's dont take care when I had my Vigo within week's had scratch mark's on the paint, had to put them on that, so it's on the new one.

I agree with the door handle thingy's but the light stuff belongs on the Christmas Tree. :D

I agree with the door handle thingy's but the light stuff belongs on the Christmas Tree. :D

Merry Christmas.

Like any car MPV the top of the range. ...The better the model the better the resale.

Absolutely correct, especially in Thailand where the very first question a car buyer is asked by their friends is "is it the top model?".

And yes we would all like a Q7 but at the price over here you would have to be brain dead or crazy to buy one.

It's all relative ;) If you had 600M Baht in the bank, and wanted a new SUV, the Q7 would definitely be on your short list - but also probably quickly off it, unless you decided to special import T/A's V12 "Genetically engineered super buffalo" version :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

If I remember some week's ago T/A, you had a number plate that had V8 on it and you think chrome bit's on light's look Tacky/Naff !!!!!!!!!!!!! Christmas TREE. Happy new year.

That plate never saw the street, only the computer monitor :D. Happy New Year to you too.

post-41816-0-47411000-1293508079_thumb.j

Note the discrete Bentley style ' Stainless Steel ' grill inserts. Cool eh. :lol:

If I remember some week's ago T/A, you had a number plate that had V8 on it and you think chrome bit's on light's look Tacky/Naff !!!!!!!!!!!!! Christmas TREE. Happy new year.

That plate never saw the street, only the computer monitor :D. Happy New Year to you too.

Note the discrete Bentley style ' Stainless Steel ' grill inserts. Cool eh. :lol:

Very Nice. No wonder there's a shortage of tooth brush's in Thailand you must have bought them all to keep the discrete bit's clean.

Naff chrome/SSteel bit's round the head light's would, me think's, add that extra touch of class.

Very Nice. No wonder there's a shortage of tooth brush's in Thailand you must have bought them all to keep the discrete bit's clean.

Naff chrome/SSteel bit's round the head light's would, me think's, add that extra touch of class.

Noooooo, they already have the chrome discretely ' inside ' the headlight unit.

Stainless steel, no clean, no brushes. :D

Talked to Sale person of Toyota Bara rama 4...she said no news about minor change yet (as of motor show). Have placed order sportivo 3 with her but thinking about getting 3.04wd instead of white (not a big fan of white and want something simpler)

Look at the trend elsewhere in the world. Large SUV's are plummeting in value. It's only a matter of time before it happens here. Also keep in mind that demand over the last 2 or 3 years most likely increased production. Hence the reason you see them everywhere.

I predict in 2 years, 2nd hand Foruners will be as cheap as chips. Especially if a brand new model comes out. Not to mention credible alternatives.

I am a fan of Fortuners I've owned 2. But I have to say that the look is beginning to get dated, especially the interior.

Talked to Sale person of Toyota Bara rama 4...she said no news about minor change yet (as of motor show). Have placed order sportivo 3 with her but thinking about getting 3.04wd instead of white (not a big fan of white and want something simpler)

Mate no self respecting sales person is going to admit to model changes, even if they knew it. Clearing the backlog of existing models would be their number 1 priority.

Look at the trend elsewhere in the world. Large SUV's are plummeting in value. It's only a matter of time before it happens here. Also keep in mind that demand over the last 2 or 3 years most likely increased production. Hence the reason you see them everywhere.

I predict in 2 years, 2nd hand Foruners will be as cheap as chips. Especially if a brand new model comes out. Not to mention credible alternatives.

I am a fan of Fortuners I've owned 2. But I have to say that the look is beginning to get dated, especially the interior.

I predict in 2 years the very low excise tax for Fortuner has been adjusted to the same as cars, IOW from 20%-35%, making 3,0 4x4 auto cost approx 1,8million baht . Thus 2 year old will probably sell at 1,2 mill.

I predict in 2 years the very low excise tax for Fortuner has been adjusted to the same as cars, IOW from 20%-35%, making 3,0 4x4 auto cost approx 1,8million baht . Thus 2 year old will probably sell at 1,2 mill.

Only hope your right YIPEE. But I think the answer to the OP question is the Sportivo 111 just one small problem look's like they have sold out.

Revoking the 20% excise tax privilege for PPV's has been very actively lobbied by Thailand's #3 brand for well over a year, but in the meantime the #1 brand still managed to broker the 10% tax for Hybrids (and did so without limits on capacity or HP, hehe), so it appears #1 still pulls all the strings... Mind you, #2, 5 and 6 have all recently made big investments into production facilities for next-gen PPV's, so I'd say their combined weight will be enough to keep the 20% PPV tax going for at least the next few years.

Revoking the 20% excise tax privilege for PPV's has been very actively lobbied by Thailand's #3 brand for well over a year, but in the meantime the #1 brand still managed to broker the 10% tax for Hybrids (and did so without limits on capacity or HP, hehe), so it appears #1 still pulls all the strings... Mind you, #2, 5 and 6 have all recently made big investments into production facilities for next-gen PPV's, so I'd say their combined weight will be enough to keep the 20% PPV tax going for at least the next few years.

You've just buggered my day.

In my opinion, buy top of range in popular models they will always be easier to sell.:rolleyes:

Experienced my sister in law wanted to sell her Isuzu 2 door V-max, silly offers and little response.:annoyed:

Just put my 5 yr old top of range Vigo up for sale and couldn't believe the response there queuing up, first one comes today.B)

Edited by Kwasaki

In my opinion, buy top of range in popular models they will always be easier to sell.:rolleyes:

Experienced my sister in law wanted to sell her Isuzu 2 door V-max, silly offers and little response.:annoyed:

Just put my 5 yr old top of range Vigo up for sale and couldn't believe the response there queuing up, first one comes today.B)

my top of the lines Vigos and Fortuner(2004,2005 and 2006) all sold within days or a week at asking price

Time will tell. Discussions did go quiet few months back