Taking A Picture Of My Son W/ A Monk - Ok?

Grawburg

My 3 year old son is fascinated with the bright orange robes of the monks here in BKK. He knows they are monks but he has no idea what that means. Neither my wife nor I are Buddhists. My son likes to run up to them to shake their hands and, althought I've never stopped him and the monks have almost always been friendly about it, I'm not sure of the appropriateness. Being a non-Buddhist farang here, perhaps I'm overly sensitive to not offending.

My question is, my son wants me to take a picture with him and a monk to put on his wall of pictures in his room. Is it appropriate to ask my son to stand next to the monk and take a pic of them both? Would it be better if we did it in the morning when they are getting their morning alms and put some food in his bowl and then ask. Also, my Thai is pretty bad so I'd have to learn how to say "Can I take a picture, please" and hope he doesn't say anything back cause I doubt I'll understand it.

Thanks.

Is it appropriate to ask my son to stand next to the monk and take a pic of them both? Would it be better if we did it in the morning when they are getting their morning alms and put some food in his bowl and then ask.

I would say definitely not on alms round because the monks are supposed to be following a number of specific rules about how they behave, keeping their eyes cast down, etc.

A better idea would be to go to one of the touristy temples where monks speak a bit of English and don't mind chatting. Don't forget to make a donation. At some temples it's fairly easy to join the queue getting a blessing from a senior monk or abbot. All your son would have to do is kneel and put his hands in a "wai."

The OP asked about appropriateness. I see quite a few foreign females wearing skimpy outfits at temples, which isn't a problem in the sense that someone will get mad at them, but it certainly isn't appropriate.

I think if a photo was taken with the boy simply walking beside the monks on alms round it would be OK.

"core thai loop noy die my cup ?"

"please may I take a photo?"

Best said with a camera in your hand, your son already responded to by the monk, and smiling.

If you have your son by your side, or aren't clear with your gesturing, it might be misunderstood as asking the monk to take a photo for you (unlikely tho, if the monk lives anywhere with tourists he will be used to it!)

Edited by OxfordWill

dont actually think its a problem, there is no regulations about being photographed; when we got married, anon , me and my eldest daughter went to anon's wat in his village to get 'lectured' by his cousin, one of the main monks there. (have a good life, stay honest with eachother, blablalba, some pali stuff, etc). afterwards my duaghter wanted to take pics. so we have quite a few. when we were standing, he stood far behind us, and here u can see he is standing and we are sitting. he was also very shy (hence the lack of smile, as he was very nice and easygoing)

post-8751-0-80842000-1293521794_thumb.jp

The OP asked about appropriateness. I see quite a few foreign females wearing skimpy outfits at temples, which isn't a problem in the sense that someone will get mad at them, but it certainly isn't appropriate.

I think if a photo was taken with the boy simply walking beside the monks on alms round it would be OK.

Yes, it is ok. It happens to me quite often as I am a Phra Farang. I don't mind and neither do the monks at my temple..

dont actually think its a problem, there is no regulations about being photographed; when we got married, anon , me and my eldest daughter went to anon's wat in his village to get 'lectured' by his cousin, one of the main monks there. (have a good life, stay honest with eachother, blablalba, some pali stuff, etc). afterwards my duaghter wanted to take pics. so we have quite a few. when we were standing, he stood far behind us, and here u can see he is standing and we are sitting. he was also very shy (hence the lack of smile, as he was very nice and easygoing)

post-8751-0-80842000-1293521794_thumb.jp

ha ha ha ... monks usually don't smile in photo's. It's a monk thing.

"core thai loop noy die my cup ?"

"please may I take a photo?"

Best said with a camera in your hand, your son already responded to by the monk, and smiling.

If you have your son by your side, or aren't clear with your gesturing, it might be misunderstood as asking the monk to take a photo for you (unlikely tho, if the monk lives anywhere with tourists he will be used to it!)

exactly... most monks I know, love to have their photo taken..

post-13-0-05898800-1293999170_thumb.jpg

Yep No Problem....

Monks are just like everyone else but have a few rules that all Thais understand...be polite and smile.

incid I am the white guy at the back ...couple of years ago when I did a stint...would recco...:o