Lifan Custom V250

PaulD

I see so many Platinum or JRD Riders here in Thailand,

but I am really surprised, that there is only one Lifan-V-Custom 250 - Rider only here.....?

The Lifan v 250 is a fairly new Bike from a manufacturer that has only recently started selling Bikes in thailand (but used to sell engines since a while)...i am sure you will see more of them around.

To be honest i hardly see any Platinums in my Place...some jrd's only.

mbox.

Its released about three month ago, I think and Lifan isn´t so unknown as JRD os Platinum was, as they released their first bikes.

Lifan has also good reputation already.

LoneRider

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see so many Platinum or JRD Riders here in Thailand,

but I am really surprised, that there is only one Lifan-V-Custom 250 - Rider only here.....?

The Lifan v 250 is a fairly new Bike from a manufacturer that has only recently started selling Bikes in thailand (but used to sell engines since a while)...i am sure you will see more of them around.

To be honest i hardly see any Platinums in my Place...some jrd's only.

mbox.

Its released about three month ago, I think and Lifan isn´t so unknown as JRD os Platinum was, as they released their first bikes.

Lifan has also good reputation already.

LoneRider

Yes thats what i meant they were recently released(3 month)...platinum and jrd are here since years...although i think platinum & jrd are cheaper i would rather take the Lifan if i had to choose between the 3 .

mbox

<br /><br /><br />Yes thats what i meant they were recently released(3 month)...platinum and jrd are here since years...although i think platinum & jrd are cheaper i would rather take the Lifan if i had to choose between the 3 .<br /><br />mbox<br /><br /><br /><br />

Oh, of course.....a clear YES to this statement !!!

It is also clearly better than the Phantom and Boss (performance and looks} I would say it is the clear best choice for a 1/4 liter cruiser in Thailand.

It will take a while for it to build a reputation though. I think some of the negative reports from the JRD's and Platinum have slowed sales for the Lifan. But if all goes well it will emerge with its own fans.

Looks really good - no wonder as it's a 1:1 clone of a Yamaha Virago 250. Nothing wrong with that, PaulD please update on reliability... if all goes well it's a good motorcycle and great value for the money for sure. Just don't compare it with the new CBR250R - which costs 100k by the way, you just have to wait a month or 2 for delivery. [1]

I've heard Lifan makes good engine clones of Honda etc. So chances are good you're not going to get a Platinum or JRD experience...

[1] If dealers currently want more it all has to do with supply and demand - want it first, pay more, I think that's fair enough.

Edited by nikster

Someone asked how many are around. I know that three went out the door because i saw them in front and they've been sold. I know of another that I'd seen earlier, encrusted with chrome (on chrome). Three months and a new brand in the country.

Two plain clothes police here in Chiang Mai questioned the absence of my license plate, but were satisfied with my three-weeks old, dated, insurance and purchase documents. It may well be that the 30 day limit on no plates was on their minds, but they were satisfied and left me without a word.

Had my first long night time ride last night and realize that the lights are perfectly adjusted, but not for my weight, given the softer front springs.

Edited by PaulD

It is also clearly better than the Phantom and Boss (performance and looks} I would say it is the clear best choice for a 1/4 liter cruiser in Thailand.

It will take a while for it to build a reputation though. I think some of the negative reports from the JRD's and Platinum have slowed sales for the Lifan. But if all goes well it will emerge with its own fans.

JRD has been sold for 7-8 years and Platinum for approx 6 years. Most owners find both of them crap. Lifan has been around for a while with engines and generators, but bikes just went on sale few months back. It is in another quality bracket than Platinum and JRD, but obviously people are sceptical to "new" Chines brand names.

Lifan has two unbeatable products in LOS the 250 cruiser and the 200 enduro :)

JRD has been sold for 7-8 years and Platinum for approx 6 years. Most owners find both of them crap. Lifan has been around for a while with engines and generators, but bikes just went on sale few months back. It is in another quality bracket than Platinum and JRD, but obviously people are sceptical to "new" Chines brand names.

Lifan has two unbeatable products in LOS the 250 cruiser and the 200 enduro :)

Lifan has also the cheapest 110cc cub model in Thailand, for less the 29,000 Bht, you get alloy wheels and disc brake... a very hard to beat package - so Lifan has three unbeatable products in Thailand...

post-12170-0-97703500-1295578139_thumb.j

Yes, people are afraid of chinese brands after many bad experience with Platinum anf JRD.

Thats the reason why I want to get as many information as possible.....

But like Paul said, there are a few more already sold. And I think not only in Chiang Mai.

There have to be more towns and people, who already purchased it.

So its quite pity not hearing any more experiences....

Hey Richard, I am sorry, but there is a cheaper one.<br />A friend of me purchased a new 110 cc bike in Phayao for 22.000 THB. I forget the brands name, but I think its made in Malaysia<br />and looks really like a 1:1 Honda Wave copy.<br />He drive it for one year now and is quite satisfied with it for that price.

Edited by LoneRider

Does anybody have knowledge of a Lifan dealer in Northern Issan, Udon Thani----Sakhon Nakhon.?

Just in case this is not acknowledged, I've asked Lifan for dealer information. (For one thing, I'm getting the 1K oil change Tuesday and planning trips). Can't find info on their site, either - will post if/when they reply.

Dealer in Undon Thani...

Atiphong Motor Partnership

76/1-2, Udon Dusadee Road, Tambon Mak Khaeng,

Amphoe Muang, Udon Thani 41000.

Telephone: 042-222707

Thanks for that Richard,I will look this week and see what stock they have.

JRD has been sold for 7-8 years and Platinum for approx 6 years. Most owners find both of them crap. Lifan has been around for a while with engines and generators, but bikes just went on sale few months back.

True only if you are talking about Thailand. Lifan (pronounced "LIFE-in") has been selling bikes in the states for about 6 years, and in China a lot longer. Despite having some initial problems with unauthorized exporters/resellers (copy of a copy?) the reviews seem to be mostly positive.

American Lifan 2005 LF250 Reviews

American Lifan 2007 LF200 GY-5 Reviews

Lifan is the worlds largest engine manufacturer, and the largest privately owned company in China. It has an interesting history. The founder started the company in 1991 after being released from a labor camp where he was imprisoned for teaching capitalist fundamentals in a Chinese university.

It would be nice if/when they can get the LF400 and LF250 GY-7, or LF250-19 cleared in Thailand.

93040d1210449124-motos-chinas-lf400-lifan-2.jpg

2_lifan_lf250gy-7-02-1.jpg

lf250-19_T.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

That LF250-19 certainly looks nice. I don't think a 250 needs all the plastic that adorns the new CBR. I notice it is a twin too, something that many suggested Honda should have gone for instead of the single pot CBR.

1. Lifan would have to build the bikes here (80% content, I've read) to avoid big, big duties.

2. A 400 is still going to cost a lot in fees and taxes just for being over 250, I think even if built here.

3. Lifan has just arrived a few months ago. I'd imagine they'd want market studies demonstrating a demand among Thais for a fairly expensive 400.

Edited by PaulD

Hey Paul, long time not read anything from you...

Please keep us up-to-date with your experience...

Not much to report as I have a life in addition to biking, let alone Lifan.:rolleyes:

The rear brakes have seated better and the manufacturers struck it lucky or even know what they're doing, because the brake pedal, which had been at a high angle, is now natural. Still do not get a massive amount of stopping, but in unified braking from 90, I'm still satisfied.

I had posted 36k/l, but that was in country leisurely touring, mostly (but very early on). I find (actually someone else was driving :whistling: that it gets less in city traffic, but I'll have to measure more to be accurate. In this connection, a trivial matter is that the fuel knob points upward for reserve and downward for on and forward for off. I think that counter-intuitive, but it's easier to learn when someone else is walking the bike.

Coming up against 1,000 kms, I'm waiting to go in for the license and green book to get back from Land Transportation. Thereafter, on trips, I should be able to gather some facts to add. But for a slight emission of smoke from the upper pipe at a joint at high speeds, I find nothing to fix, adjust, or improve.

Paul

Do you have a photo of what instruments there are on the the bike and where they are?

On my Phantom I have only a speedo on the tank plus Hi/Lo beam,indicator lamp and low fuel lamp but no fuel gauge.

1. Lifan would have to build the bikes here (80% content, I've read) to avoid big, big duties.

2. A 400 is still going to cost a lot in fees and taxes just for being over 250, I think even if built here.

3. Lifan has just arrived a few months ago. I'd imagine they'd want market studies demonstrating a demand among Thais for a fairly expensive 400.

I believe they are/will be manufactured here.

Could be. It is a niche that is wide open for price competition. Some commonality of parts and a 400cc Yamaha engine to inspire their designers.

I see that the CBR 250 offers Fi and ABS and Fi and above that are the 650 Kawa's.with the same; sports bikes. Question for Lifan is what does the Thai buyer want? How many of them, and is it worth it to spend the investment?

The Lifan LF400 Titan is indeed manufactured in Thailand, alongside the Lifan LF250-B (Custom V250). Currently Lifan Thailand has no immediate plans to introduce the 400cc V-twin cruiser on the Thai market. Basically they make them in Thailand to smooth the export to the USA, and other markets. Some countries still have barriers in place for automotive products from China...

But if, the Lifan LF400 Titan would be available in Thailand the estimated price would be about 120,000 to 140,000 Baht.

The Lifan LF250-19 is a concept bike, and is not in production – also no date is set for production. Yamaha is working on a similar concept bike, the main idea behind it is to take a engine from a cruiser and tune it up a bit and hang it in a naked bike frame. Lifan and Yamaha working together on this concept as the 250cc v-twin engine Yamaha uses is for a good amount produced by Lifan.

Hereby a picture of the Yamaha MT-04 concept bike

dI2yrEzuD40113170140.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

1.  Lifan would have to build the bikes here (80% content, I've read) to avoid big, big duties.

2.  A 400 is still going to cost a lot in fees and taxes just for being over 250, I think even if built here.

3.  Lifan has just arrived a few months ago.  I'd imagine they'd want market studies demonstrating a demand among Thais for a fairly expensive 400.

I think lifan have been in thailand more than a few months. I've think one of my bikes is called liflan (cruser style 125 cc bike), bought in 2009. You could buy the bike at Big C 

I think lifan have been in thailand more than a few months. I've think one of my bikes is called liflan (cruser style 125 cc bike), bought in 2009. You could buy the bike at Big C

The 125cc cruiser you bought from BigC in 2009 was not a Lifan. In 2009 the Ryuka Zongshen ZS125-30 was sold by BigC.

Edited by Richard-BKK

1.  Lifan would have to build the bikes here (80% content, I've read) to avoid big, big duties.

2.  A 400 is still going to cost a lot in fees and taxes just for being over 250, I think even if built here.

3.  Lifan has just arrived a few months ago.  I'd imagine they'd want market studies demonstrating a demand among Thais for a fairly expensive 400.

The 125cc cruiser you bought from BigC in 2009 was not a Lifan. In 2009 the Ryuka Zongshen ZS125-30 was sold by BigC.

Your right! Silly me not remember the name of my bikes:)  Do they still sell them at BigC?

Do you have a photo of what instruments there are on the the bike and where they are?

On my Phantom I have only a speedo on the tank plus Hi/Lo beam,indicator lamp and low fuel lamp but no fuel gauge.~ Billd

Photo shows the Lifan 250's instrument panel. Sorry for delay.

Speedometer - accurate at 60 to 100, confirmed twice by gps

Odometer – digital

Trip meter – digital

Lights – round buttons right and left turn indicators, neutral, and bright lights – easy to read in all lighting conditions.

As mentioned above, there is a reserve fuel switch on the side left side, ON (down), RESERVE (up), and OFF (forward). Normally with a new bike, I carry a little fuel and run it to reserve and out, but I have not done this yet.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

But I did measure fuel use after 300 kms. From last measurement of 36, I was down to 34km/l in city driving instead of country/suburban. Remember, this is 95gasahol or 91 benzine. Someone might explain this to me as the bike's compression ration is 10:1 - If it takes 95 gasahol, why not 91?

Went for 1,000 kms at dealer – oil change. They did it back in the shop but they volunteered that they'd check “everything.” I will not know if they stopped the small emissions from the top pipe joint or not until tomorrow's check-out ride. Meanwhile, after a month, I still have no plates or green book – dealer claims it's hung up at land transportation and if I'm troubled by police, ask the police to call them (I'll pay for the call!). In fairness, their original receipt says 45 days and is highlighted. Moreover, there is stapled to it the company card with phone number.

Should also mention perhaps that this dealer had not yet received any new bikes. I never got to see the re-painted green one. I've only seen Henry Ford black in town so far.

None of which detracts from my general impression of a bike ready to go. Some business details keep me from the mountains for the moment. Meanwhile, I hope to learn from others their experiences with this?

Best to all,

post-120309-0-80763400-1296116712_thumb.

I see that the Chiang Mai dealer has re-stocked the Lifan V250, one in a deep maroon out front. That's here in Chiangmai.

Anyone else riding this V-twin?? Experiences? Advice? News?

Edited by PaulD