Google Talk(beta)

stats

Downloaded and tried it a few hrs back, very plain simple look and features.

You need a gmail account to use it. Anyone still does not have one?? PM me. :o

It seems to based on Jabber client.

Does not have any emoticons, i think its mainly for voice chat.

One reason why google talk is interesting is google are supporting open standards..

So they are using a SIP phone solution for talk and basing thier IM on jabber.. If you know about Gizmo which is an IM and phone VoIP application then you will be aware that this solution is already linking US college campuses, hardlinbe numbers, SIP hardware phones etc.. With googles massive input into the field this may go a long way to unifying the IM and VoIP space..

I have long been a skype fan.. That in turn has had me playing with SIP phones and technologies to test but quite frakly once I got my parents, non techie mates, brother, etc all to use Skype (they all love it BTW) getting them to install and more importantly configure the ports for SIP phoneing was a bridge to far.. With luck Google talk (using gizmo for me) will solve these issues and get them on an open standards system..

Click here to read 'Micheals minute' on the issue.. He is the guy behind Linspire and many many other open source projects (including gizmo)..

http://www.michaelrobertson.com/

Personally I have MSN and trillian on my machine.. Trillian handles the multiple accounts stuff but MSN has nice chat features.. Then theres skype for calls.. etc etc etc.. I would love it if all these comanies could just unify thier service but wheres the revenue in that..

One chat system, one phone system, one ring to rule them all and in darkness bind them..

One chat system, one phone system, one ring to rule them all and in darkness bind them..

But what about choice ? if we all go into one system, it will hold back initiatives for improvment because of compatibility and continuity issues.

I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 competitive standards.

Love Skype even though it's getting worse in the latest few releases.

Wasn't impressed by Gizmo at ALL. Need to wait.

One 'open' system allows any number of developers to create front end applications for it..

Imagine if we had it so your cable co telephone couldnt call your AIS telephone and your AIS couldnt call your DTAC (well actually we have !!! ).. One platform then you can choose your font end.. Imagine if email was hotmail to hotmail only.. Etc

Thats what Google are doing by using open standards like jabber and SIP and I applaud that.. Get enough people on an open platform and we can all talk..