New 5 Year License

I got my first 1 year license on 4 Feb 2010, and whilst at the centre in Bangkok, I asked how soon I could get a 5 year license. I was told I could apply 60 days before the 1 year license expired.

Now I have always understood that the 1 year license must have expired before a 5 year license will be issued.

In view of this I got a Thai friend to telephone the license centre at the beginning of December 2010 to confirm what I had been told. Sure enough, they said that I could renew upto 60 days before the expiry of the 1 year license.

So today I went to the license centre with all the relevant paperwork, and without any questions or fuss I got my new 5 year license, which commences on 5 Feb 2011, as my 1 year license expires on 4 Feb 2011.

Is this a change of policy for the issuing of driving licenses?

Just out of interest, what are the required documents. The same as when you got your one year license? PP, WP and doctor's certificate?

I took:

My passport, with photocopies of the information page, my retirement extension, and my arrival/departure card.

Residency letter from immigration.

Medical certificate.

1 year license.

Alan

I can confirm.... This year I renewed my license from a 1 year to a 5 year 20 days before expiry of the 1 year license (I've actually ended up with license valid for the next 5 years and 11 months which expires on my Birthday in 2016).

Documents required were the same as always.

Existing 1 year license.

Medical Certification

Work Permit OR Letter of Residence.

Passport (Visa / Entry Stamp).

BUT, it was the case that the 1 year must expire. Last year l went the day before it expired and was told to come back the next day because of that. But got near six years on the 5 year one as it expires on my birthday. :)

Transam

This is where things get interesting, because I was told you could get the 5 year license when there were 60 days left on my 1 year license in Feb 2010, which was nearly a year ago. I can only assume that the policy was changed prior to Feb 2010, but I don't know exactly when.

By the way, they gave me my 1 year license back, at it expires on 4 Feb 2011, along with my 5 year, which commences on 5 Feb 2011.

This is the kind of excellent info that makes the Moto Forum great.

Now that we know you can get your 5 year license before your 1 year expires, does that mean that you have new unforeseen problems if you let your 1 year expire first? ( Just wondering if this change in service flows both ways )

Anyone have recent experience with this?

Interesting post!

Now that we know you can get your 5 year license before your 1 year expires, does that mean that you have new unforeseen problems if you let your 1 year expire first?

It didn't in Rayong about 6 or 7 weeks ago, I went for mine the day after expiry of the 1-year. And like some posters above, I got 5 years and 11 months.

Great to hear that. I was just to post a question regarding the same issue.

I have to renew my 5 year driving licence which expire in May and are always in Europe in the spring so this was a relief. Hope its Nationwide!

Thanks. :)

For the avoidance of doubt: The 5 year license must be renewed up to 90 days BEFORE it is due to expire.