New French Restaurant

butterisbetter

A very good new French Bistro has just opened within the past month. It's called La Fourchette and is located on Propaklao Rd, almost opposite the entrance to Wat Chedi Luang and whatever the wooden wat next to it is called. Not only was the food very good, but the prices were very low.

The owner's father is a French/Swiss French who spends a lot of time at the restaurant and is also the pastry and desert chef. He was one of the original founders of a French Restaurant here in Chiang Mai that is now at the top end at least in prices. I haven't eaten there so I can't comment on the food.

The waitress is the owner's girl friend. She is extremely charming and helpful. She's Japanese with an English mother so her English is perfect. I can't vouch for her Japanese but since she grew up there I suspect that it is at least okay.

Lovely decor, too. These people know what they are doing. Right now the wine list is quite sparse. I was told that it's okay to bring your own. Not sure about a corkage fee.

Second the motion. Given the OP's savvy, I tried it on tonight. They are right up there in the town's French sweepstakes, among those who do not max out credit cards. Service remarkable.

Of course, everything must be individually made, but my main course came just after I rested my soup spoon. I believe that appetizers often tell a lot about a place, and was going to order leek soup as a subtle test, but it was suggested that I try the onion soup - everybody liked it. Well, that's pretty pedestrian and I've had it murdered in a number of ways, usually by Kraft Sheeze. Nope - the real deal, with a touch of clove and enough white wine to know they are serious. Nor, in keeping with modern ways, was it over salted - that was there on the table for those who wanted it.

I ordered a duck dish. Never seen so much in this country. I'll return, of course. You can't judge a place from one visit. Anyway, there was mention of a dessert.

I cannot imagine eating as well in France or the States as inexpensively - for what I ate. Please excuse the smug satisfaction.

One thing: Their express coffee machine will arrive in the new year. One is confronted by what hereabouts is called Americano - a good one.

Another: Most maps call it Phra Pokklao Street, while I think of it as Three Kings Street, though they're across from the great fabric sign of the wat, Fourchette being on the east side. What a delight to not use a spoon to eat from time to time, except soup.

Edited by CMX

Second the motion. Given the OP's savvy, I tried it on tonight. They are right up there in the town's French sweepstakes, among those who do not max out credit cards. Service remarkable.

Of course, everything must be individually made, but my main course came just after I rested my soup spoon. I believe that appetizers often tell a lot about a place, and was going to order leek soup as a subtle test, but it was suggested that I try the onion soup - everybody liked it. Well, that's pretty pedestrian and I've had it murdered in a number of ways, usually by Kraft Sheeze. Nope - the real deal, with a touch of clove and enough white wine to know they are serious. Nor, in keeping with modern ways, was it over salted - that was there on the table for those who wanted it.

I ordered a duck dish. Never seen so much in this country. I'll return, of course. You can't judge a place from one visit. Anyway, there was mention of a dessert.

I cannot imagine eating as well in France or the States as inexpensively - for what I ate. Please excuse the smug satisfaction.

One thing: Their express coffee machine will arrive in the new year. One is confronted by what hereabouts is called Americano - a good one.

Another: Most maps call it Phra Pokklao Street, while I think of it as Three Kings Street, though they're across from the great fabric sign of the wat, Fourchette being on the east side. not use a spoon to eat from time to time, except soup.

That's a great observation, it is called a soup spoon after all, now my New Years wish would be for ppl. to realize (all over the world) that there is such thing as a salad fork but no such thing as a salad knife and would they please cut (or preferably rip) the lettuce (and don't forget the tomatoes) into bite size pieces!! Maybe next year I'll go for the other kind of peace (also all over the world!) but I think I'll take baby steps (or bites) first this year. HAPPY NEW YEAS TO ALL MY TV FRIENDS!!!!

Would be nice if when someone recommends a new restaurant if they could also provide the tel No as would be nice to be able to call and reserve especially now during the holidays. I ggogled it but nothing comes up other than this TV page.... B) Guess will have to risk and just go and hope to get a table ...:huh:

Another: Most maps call it Phra Pokklao Street, while I think of it as Three Kings Street, though they're across from the great fabric sign of the wat, Fourchette being on the east side. not use a spoon to eat from time to time, except soup.

That's a great observation, it is called a soup spoon after all, now my New Years wish would be for ppl. to realize (all over the world) that there is such thing as a salad fork but no such thing as a salad knife and would they please cut (or preferably rip) the lettuce (and don't forget the tomatoes) into bite size pieces!! Maybe next year I'll go for the other kind of peace (also all over the world!) but I think I'll take baby steps (or bites) first this year. HAPPY NEW YEAS TO ALL MY TV FRIENDS!!!!

Would be nice if when someone recommends a new restaurant if they could also provide the tel No as would be nice to be able to call and reserve especially now during the holidays. I ggogled it but nothing comes up other than this TV page.... B) Guess will have to risk and just go and hope to get a table ...:huh:

Well you could always walk a lttle way along to Marco's or La Terrasse if there was no room at La Fourchette. So you would't be too disappointed.

:huh: :huh: ... went there and had a little trouble finding it ... Why...? Cause it WAS CLOSED !!! they were not open today :crying: :crying: .... But willl definitely give it a go another time... Nevertheless had a good time and good dinner at Girasole a few minutes walk away ... Funny how when the owner is not there the service goes to the pits... Don't know where Stephano was but service was horrible .... we were 3 and first of all they waited till they brought the other 2 persons order to tell me that what I ordered was sold out and could I chose something else ... ok , fine ... so they finished their meal and then came mine...however they may not have been able to finish theirs if the utensils hadn't come after 10 minutes and the 2nd time around asking them to please give us utensils .... Stephano's wife who is charming was there but... well ... need not say more .... took a 3 timer to get napkins and so on and on ...BUT the food was delicious ...yummy !!! Next was no more tiramisu .... Sold out......Ok, how about the home made Ice creams .... Ummm... Vanilla and chocolate ... sold out ... ok but it's only 8 O'clock ...???

That's life !! Food was as I said very good and even without dessert left feeling satisfied ....:jap: ..

Happy New Year everybody!!!

Well you could always walk a lttle way along to Marco's or La Terrasse if there was no room at La Fourchette. So you would't be too disappointed.

:huh: :huh: ... went there and had a little trouble finding it ... Why...? Cause it WAS CLOSED !!!

I made reservations the night before, but no one told me that there was only the somewhat pricey New Years set menu available, so I showed up, but passed on the set menu. Will try again on an ordinary night.

So do you have the tel no UG...???

:huh: :huh: ... went there and had a little trouble finding it ... Why...? Cause it WAS CLOSED !!!

I made reservations the night before, but no one told me that there was only the somewhat pricey New Years set menu available, so I showed up, but passed on the set menu. Will try again on an ordinary night.

Went there this evening and can enthusiastically second Butter is Better's recommendation. I started with a quiche lorraine---moist and savory, followed by a nice trout in lemon sauce. I thought my companion's lamb stew was even better and will order that next time. We had a nice bottle of French Merlot---flavoursome but not heavy at all---that is among their wine specials. Will certainly be going back.

Went for dinner last night and everything they said is true. The chef gave us a complimentary plate of housemade pate with crispy french bread and the lovely waitress offered free coffee with dessert. Great food, nice atmosphere, good service and fair prices...I think I found my new favorite restaurant!

Well, the pate was complimentary as I mentioned. I had the best french onion soup augratin I have ever had and my friend had parma ham and melon for starters. I had the trout and my friend had the duck ala orange for main courses. We split a crepes souzette for dessert. The coffee was complimentary. I had a ginger ale and my friend had two glasses of white wine....total bill 1,030 baht!

Well, the pate was complimentary as I mentioned. I had the best french onion soup augratin I have ever had and my friend had parma ham and melon for starters. I had the trout and my friend had the duck ala orange for main courses. We split a crepes souzette for dessert. The coffee was complimentary. I had a ginger ale and my friend had two glasses of white wine....total bill 1,030 baht!

Thanks for the quick reply.

How about some pricing from those that have described their meals?

As reported around #3, French Onion Soup with bread, Duck (vegetables and a potato dish), and coffee. 350baht. A lot of tender duck to eat. No room for dessert. Again, first rate service.

Vegetables were interesting, as the carrots and stalk of cauliflower were simply prepared, but the beans had been done in stock. At first I was put off by their colour, as they'd not been refreshed into a bright green. So I closed my eyes. I may live there, until the inevitable popularity raises prices.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all these glowing reviews for the reasonably priced La Fourchette, I finally went there a couple of nights ago. I think I have a different idea of "reasonably priced" than most posters here. I was expecting prices in the 100-150 baht range, not 160-250 baht! But, oh well. My mistake. (All the staff and owners were very very nice, however.) So, here is my review:

My friend had the duck a l'orange (200 baht) and I had the duck with brandy sauce (210 baht). I thought the food was good, although I didn't find either of the duck dishes to be very plentiful or filling. My dish came out with what seemed like a small portion of boneless duck bits (sorry, that sounds gross, but it was quite tasty). My companion's duck dish came out with an entire leg and thigh of duck, which was probably more filling. Both dishes came with vegetables and the "potato of the day," which on that day was sliced homemade french fries. Again, quite tasty, but I wish they would put more than 2-3 short wedges on the plate for that kind of money. I also wish they'd use the duck leg for both dishes, because I was still hungry after eating. The waitress did, however, bring us extra bread after we finished the first small basket. We also shared a carafe of house red wine (250 baht, I think), which was a french wine. It was good, and not refrigerated! (Thank god.)

Finally, for dessert, I had the pear with ice cream and chocolate sauce. It was good (hard to go wrong with ice cream and choco sauce :). My friend had the pear tart. I do not recall whether she liked it.

Then came the bill, and the kinda weird part of the evening, the part that will make me probably not go back. Total bill was 840 baht, so we threw down 900 baht and waited for our change and receipt. And waited...and waited. Never came. Finally I went to the toilet and asked "can we have our receipt please?" (I guess I felt too crass asking for the change outright.) So they brought our receipt, WITHOUT the change. After waiting at the table awhile longer, we gave up and left. We were going to leave that money for the tip anyway, but I don't like that they just assumed we would, and not bring the money back!! Or did they just forget? There were plenty of tables, but they didn't see overly busy. If they did forget, I would think that my request for "the receipt" would have jogged their memory. We decided not to bother asking for the change, and left after that.

Anyway, not trying to slag off the restaurant, just posting my honest review. The food was good and the people were nice, but I wasn't overwhelmed, especially not for those prices.

You was robbed :huh:

There's a thread running currently on Chiangmai Friends , a non profit organisation ,and they are doing a buffet and two glasses of wine for 599 baht

Wait, I'll do the maths.

Two times 599 baht is 1198 baht and we get a buffet

You paid 1030 and got..............

My decision is made

Comparing a fine French restaurant and a buffet? :blink:

La Fourchette just got two new waitresses in the last few days and the old waiter was phased out. Any problems most likely stem from their lack of experience, but they speak English well and are trying hard and will catch on quick.

By the way, I was not overly impressed by the duck either, but there are plenty of better dishes on the menu.

After reading all these glowing reviews for the reasonably priced La Fourchette, I finally went there a couple of nights ago. I think I have a different idea of "reasonably priced" than most posters here. I was expecting prices in the 100-150 baht range, not 160-250 baht!

Good French food served in a nice atmosphere for $5 to $8 per main course.....outrageous!!!!!

Comparing a fine French restaurant and a buffet? :blink:

La Fourchette just got two new waitresses in the last few days and the old waiter was phased out. Any problems most likely stem from their lack of experience, but they speak English well and are trying hard and will catch on quick.

By the way, I was not overly impressed by the duck either, but there are plenty of better dishes on the menu.

You obviously missed the sarcasm in post 24, Ulysses

Edited by caf

• 4 months later...

There was some time ago one contributor, on a thread since closed, who reported having suffered poor service here at La Fourchette. I thought it fair to report that I went again to find the reverse.

With me were two friends who have spent many months traveling in France over the years and are familiar with the high standards of food and service that prevail in that country, my friends having surfed restaurants, so to speak, listed in Michelin as fine food at 'bargain' prices. (These days, they come here and eat Thai.)

We ordered different appetizers and main courses. They (like me) were elated with everything (in France we'd have been merely delighted), and service was impeccable.<not a term I use frequently. The restaurant is not cheap by the hamburger or 'best breakfast' standards that we debate here, but we calculated that it cost us a fraction of a like place in France, perhaps 1/3. .

I have read that in some places, corkage fees are waived for regulars and this was our case. We were given a delicious little dessert as well, perhaps because it was raining.

I've been twice and I agree. The owners seem very nice and really seem to care about what they're doing. Prices are very reasonable and I've had a couple of things there that I thought were great and tried a couple of things there that I thought were good. All in all, I will certainly go back for another round, and I hope that more people do too.

• 4 weeks later...

Went last night with two women for a birthday. One was French, the other Swiss. I was bowled over by the charm, friendliness, decor and mais bien sure the food of La Fourchette. The acid test were the ringers dining with me, who recognized several items on the menu that were regional and perfectly done. Additionally they serve French wines at French room temperature!;)- not tropically warm or previously frozen, as is often the case in places here. My one friend almost teared up when she saw the steak to be pink inside as she had requested. 'Oh I never see really rare before in Thailand.'

The price was more than reasonable, and I commend their effort to serve authentic and high quality food at accessible prices.

They do not take credit cards! The momentary awkwardness was parried with a friendly motion to the nearby ATM machine. I suspect it was a well worn drill.

FYI there is an original signed Tin Tin in the loo for any true Francophiles.