Leslie Frazier named Vikings' new head coach

News_Editor

Leslie Frazier named Vikings' new head coach

2011-01-04 10:04:59 GMT+7 (ICT)

EDEN PRAIRE, MINNESOTA (BNO NEWS) -- The Minnesota Vikings on Monday announced that they have reached an agreement with their former defensive coordinator, Leslie Frazier, to take over the team's head coaching spot.

Since November 22, Frazier took over the team after Brad Childress was fired with a 3-7 record. Under Frazier, the Vikings were able to finish the season 3-3, including a 2-1 record on the road and an upset victory against the Philadelphia Eagles last week, the team's official website said.

"We are very excited to announce Leslie Frazier as the new Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings," said Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf. "Leslie is well-respected by our players, coaches and front office staff and has proven to be a winner on the field at every level of playing and coaching. He has a strong presence in the locker room and is an excellent leader, as demonstrated during some of the recent challenges we have faced."

Frazier, 51, played defensive secondary at Alcorn State University before joining the Chicago Bears where he won the 1985 Super Bowl XX. He later won Super Bowl XLI as the Indianapolis Colts' defensive backs coach. Before joining the Vikings coaching staff in 2007, Frazier had worked as an assistant for the Eagles, Bengals, and the Super Bowl-winning Colts after beginning his coaching career in the NFL in 1999. Prior to that, he coached at Trinity College and the University of Illinois.

"I could not have asked for a better opportunity in the National Football League," said Frazier.

"The Wilf family has continually shown dedication to building a world-class football organization and is a tremendous family to work with as we try to create and sustain a Championship-caliber team. I have a deep respect for our players and those within the organization that I have gotten to know over the last four years and I am very happy to lead our football team moving forward," he added.

Frazier becomes the team's eighth coach in its 50-year history.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-04