Thai Army Service / 18 Years Old Son

canardo

Hey,

I am posting here, becasue this is the most frequented forum.

My son just turned 18 and holds a German and a Thai passport. Although Germany just skipped the military duty for youngsters finally, here in Thailand with his Thai passport, he might get chosen.

I have heard of a lottery system where names are pulled by (un)lucky chance and those have to serve the Thai army. Is this true? And if so, is there a way out?

Please advise.

Cheers,

Sven

P.S.: I do NOT want to discuss the sense or non sense of serving any army here, thx.

If he was my son I would allow my son to be in the lottery to join the forces. It will be the best two years of his life it will teach many lessons & skills you could never teach him he may even just find his direction in life. He learns how to work with others & discipline and the importance of having it. I was in the forces as a boy volunteer turned out to be some of the best years of life & skills I still use in my work today. If you never had to do national service in Germany you may not fully understand, give the boy the option plus he will gain respect among his peers. Let alone the ladies nothing smarter than a guy in uniform.

If he was my son I would allow my son to be in the lottery to join the forces. It will be the best two years of his life it will teach many lessons & skills you could never teach him he may even just find his direction in life. He learns how to work with others & discipline and the importance of having it. I was in the forces as a boy volunteer turned out to be some of the best years of life & skills I still use in my work today. If you never had to do national service in Germany you may not fully understand, give the boy the option plus he will gain respect among his peers. Let alone the ladies nothing smarter than a guy in uniform.

Again, I do NOT want to discuss it at all, and I have my serious doubts, that he could learn anything needful serving in the Thai army at all.

Wifey just said when they make the announcement for 18-23 year old men to register for 'selection' they ask that they boys have a Thai mum & a Thai dad...

My 5 yr old keeps informing me and his mum that he's going to be a soldier when he grows up but we're convinced he can't be.

Edited by MaiDong

Wifey just said when they make the announcement for 18-23 year old men to register for 'selection' they ask that they boys have a Thai mum & a Thai dad...

My 5 yr old keeps informing me and his mum that he's going to be a soldier when he grows up but we're convinced he can't be.

Sounds great, thx.

Well, and for your son, isn't this the age, where they all want to become a Fire Fighter?

LOL

Edited by canardo

Sounds great, thx.

Well, and for your son, isn't this the age, where they all want to become a Fire Worker?

LOL

I think you'll find this advice is erronious. If the boy has a Thai parent and lives in Thailand then there is no automatic exemption.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/317747-Thai-Army-Call-Son/

Edited by smokie36

Sounds great, thx.

Well, and for your son, isn't this the age, where they all want to become a Fire Worker?

LOL

I think you'll find this advice is erronious. If the boy has a Thai parent and lives in Thailand then there is no automatic exemption.

http://www.thaivisa....-Army-Call-Son/

My sons lives in Thailand, is listed in the Tabien Baan and has a Thai ID too...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/317747-Thai-Army-Call-Son/

Fair enough, it's just what wifey said, she's never wrong :whistling:

So my son will get his wishes after all, I somehow expect him to change his mind once he grows up though.

As far as I know, mixed-race aren't allowed to serve in the Thai army, I could be wrong.

Yes , you are wrong, many half half boys are in the army. If your son goes to University he will be excused the army time, best way... who would like to see their son marching off to Yala !!

As far as I know, mixed-race aren't allowed to serve in the Thai army, I could be wrong.

Yes , you are wrong, many half half boys are in the army. If your son goes to University he will be excused the army time, best way... who would like to see their son marching off to Yala !!

Don't think that is true! You only get excused if you go to Army school..Please prove me wrong...

If his name comes up in the lottery he WILL have to go in for the registration process. This is where normally the FATHER goes in and pays a 60,000 baht fee (could be more could be less) post-76485-0-65243600-1294196685_thumb.gto some very understanding people who will then let him walk away. This is of course IF that certain person is willing to accept this "donation". If not then you could find yourself in a big pile of .... well you know.

This is only what I know from past experience of my gf's brother's father paying the fee. However seeing as you are a farang you might get charged a hell of a lot more and will stand out like a sore thumb at the registration office and they might feel it's not a good idea to accept the "fee".

As your son is 18 he will now have to choose his citizenship, Germany do not accept double citizenship. He choose German he is out of game, he choose Thai he is in.

Fatfather

No such law. The child has dual nationality by way of law, not by way of naturalization. That is a big difference. He can keep his dual nationality.

Don't think that is true! You only get excused if you go to Army school..Please prove me wrong...

During his study he will be exempt, bit to avoid the draft he will need to study till he is 30.

If his name comes up in the lottery he WILL have to go in for the registration process. This is where normally the FATHER goes in and pays a 60,000 baht fee (could be more could be less) post-76485-0-65243600-1294196685_thumb.gto some very understanding people who will then let him walk away. This is of course IF that certain person is willing to accept this "donation". If not then you could find yourself in a big pile of .... well you know.

This is only what I know from past experience of my gf's brother's father paying the fee. However seeing as you are a farang you might get charged a hell of a lot more and will stand out like a sore thumb at the registration office and they might feel it's not a good idea to accept the "fee".

Every boy of a certain age has to register for the draft and be submitted to the lottery to see if they will be called or not.

Many Thai people with money bribe before the lottery, so their child doesn't get drafted. You don't do it after the lottery.

But how to bribe someone is a subject we don't allow to discuss on the forum.

Some persons with mixed nationality are exempt because they can't speak Thai.

Every boy of a certain age has to register for the draft and be submitted to the lottery to see if they will be called or not.

Many Thai people with money bribe before the lottery, so their child doesn't get drafted. You don't do it after the lottery.

But how to bribe someone is a subject we don't allow to discuss on the forum.

Some persons with mixed nationality are exempt because they can't speak Thai.

You are wrong. The lottery is chosen from "Birth-day Records" and you do NOT register at ANY certain age for the lottery. If and when your name is chosen then and only then do you go to the local Thai Military Registry office on the certain day they choose along with all the rest of the recruits. Where are you getting these facts from please? You do not offer exemtion fees, so to speak, BEFORE the lottery because why would any Thai give any money to something that is not even yet certain? I have been in this situation hands on like I said in my post with my gf's brother and father. Do you have this hands on experience or are you just guessing? Please provide FACTS and not just heresay.

It is however true that if a person cannot speak Thai he is obviously exempt.

Edited by thailandbluegrass

During his study he will be exempt, bit to avoid the draft he will need to study till he is 30.

This is partially true. He must take 2 years of a military cadet type training in University. Basically like ROTC in the US, where he will learn military theory, but no physical training. Once he has completed that, that serves as his substitute for true military service in Thailand. If he is called in to the Army office, he needs to take proof of his service in University, and they will exempt him without fees.

As your son is 18 he will now have to choose his citizenship, Germany do not accept double citizenship. He choose German he is out of game, he choose Thai he is in.

Fatfather

No such law. The child has dual nationality by way of law, not by way of naturalization. That is a big difference. He can keep his dual nationality.

Googled it and had to recognize that you're right. There was a change in law in 08.2007. Double citizenship by birth is possible and will not have to be canceled once 18years old.

Learning every day :wai:

This is partially true. He must take 2 years of a military cadet type training in University. Basically like ROTC in the US, where he will learn military theory, but no physical training. Once he has completed that, that serves as his substitute for true military service in Thailand. If he is called in to the Army office, he needs to take proof of his service in University, and they will exempt him without fees.

And what do you say about the 70% of Thai's that do NOT go to university?

Also like another poster mentioned, does your son speak fluent Thai? If not then you have no worries he can't join.

Edited by thailandbluegrass

Uh...you could just take him off the Tabien Bahn. As I understand it, that's how they do the selection. When I was "of age" I was residing in the United States (and not on any Tabien Bahn) so that I could not get chosen for service.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I remember my time when guys my age used to drug themselves and play crazy.

Here's easier, but depends on how far your son wants to go and if he's a good actor or not. Tell him to shave, make up, dress like a woman and play the lady-boy's role, maybe he'll be excused :)

Btw, I'm not having fun, I've heard the army doesn't accept lady-boys.