Cheap (But Not Terrible) Flights To San Fran

engrin

My friend just got back from a trip home to San Francisco with China Air and he said it was a horrible experience. He was travelling with his wife and 2 daughters.

He'd like to try a different airline but is not sure what options are available for a comfortable/cheap flight.

TIA for any suggestions/recommendations :)

EVA air...I've taken them on this run for years. New 777s (and some old 747s) used on the route but the 747s are easy to avoid when you make your online or phone bookings. Really good economy fares and if you can swing a little more, their economy-deluxe class is almost like being in business. Business class, with its much larger seats, is very nice. The in-flight service is very friendly and professional but the food is only ordinary (and that's in business class...in economy you better bring a sandwich).

Edited by FarangBuddha

I use Singapore airlines, BKK>Hong Kong>San Fran, never seen the economy but Id assume its better than most and the staff is very friendly.

United is not that bad, but again never seen the economy, but that route has newly outfitted 747's and 777 bangkok>Narita>San fran but old hags for staff.

Edited by BillR

EVA air...I've taken them on this run for years. New 777s (and some old 747s) used on the route but the 747s are easy to avoid when you make your online or phone bookings. Really good economy fares and if you can swing a little more, their economy-deluxe class is almost like being in business. Business class, with its much larger seats, is very nice. The in-flight service is very friendly and professional but the food is only ordinary (and that's in business class...in economy you better bring a sandwich).

EVA Air Economy Deluxe rocks!!! It is really comfortable and once, because the plane was fully booked, I even got an upgrade to their first / business class which was awesome...

I salute EVA Air for sure.

C

United is not that bad, but again never seen the economy, but that route has newly outfitted 747's and 777 bangkok>Narita>San fran but old hags for staff.

I flew United from Narita to Bangkok and return on codeshare flights just a couple of months ago, and was pleasantly surprised. Most of the flight attendants were indeed older, but they were Japanese cabin crew who were very professional and helpful. All in all, excellent flights, both outbound and inbound.

Thai - Overrated

Singapore Airlines one of the best between SFO to this part of the World and so is EVA

United Airlines - Good and cheap. Your hosts will either be Grandma or Gay Grandpa. Otherwise. In flight movies are on the back of person in front of you, seat.

NWA - Ok.

China Airlines, didn't care for it when I came here last May. Felt like I was in a Cattle Car for 19 + hours. Food tasted like shit and over cooked. The in flight movie was in the front and there was a fat Chinese lady blocking the screen. She reminded Western Travelers of Ms. Swan from Mad TV

What 19+ hours between sfo and bkk?

I was on Cathay and it only took 14+ hrs to disembark at swampy.

I was sure I was not too drunk nor too stretched out on that flight either.

Besides, the youthful flight attendants also pampered me as much and as legally allowed.

We also over the same route and over the years took Thai, Japan, Singapore, Eva, China, not necessarily in that order.

Overall I would prefer Cathay and Singapore in that order.... tongue.gif

I flew United from Narita to Bangkok and return on codeshare flights just a couple of months ago, and was pleasantly surprised. Most of the flight attendants were indeed older, but they were Japanese cabin crew who were very professional and helpful. All in all, excellent flights, both outbound and inbound.

I'm generally not fussy about flights to the US. Just get me from point A to B as cheaply as possible these days for me. I've flown United many times Bkk to east coast US (and return). And I have no problems with their service or the age and/or looks of their flight attendants. But their food is the absolute worst crap you could possibly imagine! bah.gif

I use Singapore airlines, BKK>Hong Kong>San Fran, never seen the economy but Id assume its better than most and the staff is very friendly.

I get such a laugh at comments like this. If you're that desperate for some female eye candy buy a copy of FHM before the flight. I tend to view a flight attendant as someone to bring you food and take care of business in an emergency. That's their job, not to titillate overgrown teenagers.

Aside from the poor catering at Narita, I really like United for this route.

+1!!! for United's bitter, old hags comment. I always felt like I was a rower on a slave ship with them. ermm.gif

Fly JAL or ANA now. the stopover is a good leg stretcher and the crew are beautiful and professional. Cost is competitive, or was last time I looked.

my votes go for Eva and Cathy on the Bkk-SF route. BOth about same price ( i checked for this upcoming june and both around 35,000 baht)

China was less but a 8 hour layover!!

I fly out of Phuket and the Cathy flight was 19 hours last time.

IF u can afford it the Singapore flight is also very good but the price in the past 3 years seem to have gone very high.

AS to eye candy, after popping a valium all i do is sleep so dont see anything anyway.