What Is The Best Current Mobile Internet Connection Available

oz457

I have been coming and going to the family in Thailand.

I'll be back for one month and a half and will be spending my time 2 weeks in Bangkok (eeuw - don't like bkk) and in Nong Khung Sri, Kalasin.

What is the best value solution for my mobile internet access in Bangkok.

For my stay in Kalasin, I have tried 12call, True and Dtac, being Dtac GPRS service offering the best signal and fastest solution.

As I have not been in Thailand for a while now, so I want to know if new technologies have been implemented regarding mobile internet.

It sounds like you tether your phone to a PC and use it as a modem? Given your rural destinations an AIS/One-2-Call or DTAC 2G (GPRS/EDGE) data plan layered on top of a calling plan might be the best solution.

http://www.ais.co.th/vas/datatips/

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/simcard-one2call-netsim.html

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/simcard-one2call-netsim69.html

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333&Itemid=368〈=en

^^ yep. If you're in BKK, you can't use CAT CDMA, so that's out. In the country side, True 3G isn't going to work (and in BKK it depends on the location).

So it's DTAC or AIS GPRS. I think they're equally... slow... but fine for emails + better than nothing.

Nikster, you're right that True's 3G network on the 850 Mhz band doesn't work outside BKK and a few other tourist oriented areas... But to the best of my knowledge, their regular GPRS service should be available in the upcountry areas mentioned by the OP... And True's GPRS, assuming it's going to be available in a particular location, ought to be not much different from DTAC, which doesn't have 3G at all... The one difference would be the OP could still access True's 3G service during the time he's in BKK.

BTW, I didn't get the impression from the OP's original post that he was asking about tethering... It seemed like he was asking simply about connecting to the Internet via a mobile phone/smart phone device...

^^ yep. If you're in BKK, you can't use CAT CDMA, so that's out. In the country side, True 3G isn't going to work (and in BKK it depends on the location).

So it's DTAC or AIS GPRS. I think they're equally... slow... but fine for emails + better than nothing.

Nikster, you're right that True's 3G network on the 850 Mhz band doesn't work outside BKK and a few other tourist oriented areas... But to the best of my knowledge, their regular GPRS service should be available in the upcountry areas mentioned by the OP... And True's GPRS, assuming it's going to be available in a particular location, ought to be not much different from DTAC, which doesn't have 3G at all... The one difference would be the OP could still access True's 3G service during the time he's in BKK.

BTW, I didn't get the impression from the OP's original post that he was asking about tethering... It seemed like he was asking simply about connecting to the Internet via a mobile phone/smart phone device...

Firstly, TRUE EDGE product is horrible and can hardly be compared to DTAC or even AIS.

TRUE limits the speed of their EDGE product to around 115kbps. DTAC does not, so it's quite possible to achieve double the TRUE speed on EDGE.

Secondly, DTAC does have 3G, but they have limited their trial to a select group of customers.

Of course the best solution is to obtain a modem that works on all of the relevant frequencies at UMTS. Then one can use the appropriate SIM card for the location.

In the case of the OP; if he has a standard unlocked 3G modem, he can buy a TOT 3G or a TOT MVNO 3G SIM for as little as 99 baht in Bangkok and a DTAC SIM for use up-country.

Edited by metisdead
Rude remarks removed.

It really depends... True is going to be a better mobile 3G solution for BKK and is available to a new customer, whereas AIS and DTAC are basically non-players for 3G in BKK at present.

In the upcountry locations the OP mentioned, I don't believe there is any 3G service for a mobile available from anyone... So the best he'd do there via mobile would be EDGE service from True, DTAC or AIS... I'm not familiar with the speed issue you mentioned for True vs. DTAC. Nikster above refers to both AIS and DTAC data services as being equally slow... AIS probably has better coverage upcountry in terms of being omnipresent.

In the end, I suppose it depends on how much time the OP is going to spend in what location, what frequencies his phone will support and whether it's capable of connecting on True's 850 Mhz 3G network or not, and how much he wants to fiddle potentially with different SIMs.

Edited by jfchandler

I am quite happy with my True 3G package now. In 3G covered areas it is quite fast, at the edges of the areas it might drop a few times. Not all phones do support 3G CDMA on 850 Mhz though!

Re BKK, the truth is the two 3G solutions are entirely different...True's 3G system is 850 Mhz, whereas the TOT/Imobile and related system is on the 2100 Mhz 3G band. I have both, and both work perfectly fine in BKK. So depending on what 3G band/bands his smart phone or USB modem will operate on, he can choose. Of course, JJ doesn't consider or explain about that...

A cheap plan does no good if a person's smart phone doesn't operate on that 3G band.

DTAC indeed did have a 3G trial in Bangkok on the 850 Mhz band, but it operated in very very limited areas. As said before, for now, DTAC is basically a non player for 3G in BKK right now.

DTAC wants to upgrade its analogue 850-MHz spectrum to high-speed packet access (HSPA) technology for 1,220 cell sites to provide 3G trials.

The company has been seeking CAT approval for almost three years but has received approval for only 36 sites so far. True Move won approval two years ago to upgrade 656 cell sites.

Pattaya Today, Dec. 23, 2010

http://pattayatoday.net/news/dtac-3g-plans-stalled/

Edited by metisdead
Remarks removed.

The OP has already stated that DTAC is best for him upcountry.

If he wants 3G in Bangkok, TOT and it's MVNOs are always going to be cheaper, more accessible and will have higher data limits than the offering by TRUE.

Example; iKool 1GB for 99 baht.

Without a lot more detail from the OP regarding their equipment, applications and requirements it is nearly impossible to make an absolute recommendation but I do agree with Jiu-Jitsu that if 3G is required for the OP's 2 weeks in Bangkok then TOT or their MVNOs might be a better solution as they support 2100 MHz, which is ubiquitous on 3G gear. As mentioned True's 3G operates on 850 MHZ, which is less widely implemented (iPhone, N8, AT&T/US handsets). BTW, I have been using True 3G for a few weeks and am impressed with the service, speed and coverage. For national 2G (GPRS/EDGE) coverage I'd rank them One-2-Call, DTAC and then True (dead last, and very, very far behind), so maybe best to go with One-2-Call or DTAC.

Is anyone using TOT 3G, either directly or via an MVNO? How is it? (The coverage is impressive, if maps are to be believed.) How is the voice service handled? Roam? Does TOT have mobile voice? If so, what frequency?

The OP has already stated that DTAC is best for him upcountry.

If he wants 3G in Bangkok, TOT and it's MVNOs are always going to be cheaper, more accessible and will have higher data limits than the offering by TRUE.

Example; iKool 1GB for 99 baht.

Without a lot more detail from the OP regarding their equipment, applications and requirements it is nearly impossible to make an absolute recommendation but I do agree with Jiu-Jitsu that if 3G is required for the OP's 2 weeks in Bangkok then TOT or their MVNOs might be a better solution as they support 2100 MHz, which is ubiquitous on 3G gear. As mentioned True's 3G operates on 850 MHZ, which is less widely implemented (iPhone, N8, AT&T/US handsets). BTW, I have been using True 3G for a few weeks and am impressed with the service, speed and coverage. For national 2G (GPRS/EDGE) coverage I'd rank them One-2-Call, DTAC and then True (dead last, and very, very far behind), so maybe best to go with One-2-Call or DTAC.

Is anyone using TOT 3G, either directly or via an MVNO? How is it? (The coverage is impressive, if maps are to be believed.) How is the voice service handled? Roam? Does TOT have mobile voice? If so, what frequency?

EDGE is 2.5G. I think that DTAC has a better 2.5G/EDGE product than AIS. TRUEMOVE EDGE is just an annoying waste of time. Downloads just grind to a halt after trundling along at a max of 10kB/s.

With DTAC I can get a steady 20kB/s with bursts around the mid 20s.

Thinking about it...I have five USB modems and only one supports UMTS 850Mhz. A little annoying, as I wanted to distribute them among friends for use with TRUE 3G.

Of course they all support UMTS 2100.

Apparently jfchandler says he uses TOT 3G in BKK, so he should be able to upload his speed tests here for you.

I think that DTAC has a better 2.5G/EDGE product than AIS.

I too have found DTAC EDGE a better product on my travels upcountry where only alternative for something faster is CAT CDMA. With DTAC EDGE for short trips I can get by, but have had less success with AIS EDGE. Web sites load reasonably, streaming internet radio works without loss and can even watch occasional live stream TV video such as BBC albeit with some stuttering.

A couple weeks ago (?) I read an article in the Bangkok Post saying DTAC was going to put up (convert?) a bunch (hundreds?) of communications towers (?) to 3G. Sorry for the vagueness, I meant to look for the article online when I got home from the coffee shop where I read the paper, but forgot, and now the details are a bit murky in my memory.

That said, does anybody recall just what I read and what it will mean for DTAC 3G coverage?

A couple weeks ago (?) I read an article in the Bangkok Post saying DTAC was going to put up (convert?) a bunch (hundreds?) of communications towers (?) to 3G. Sorry for the vagueness, I meant to look for the article online when I got home from the coffee shop where I read the paper, but forgot, and now the details are a bit murky in my memory.

That said, does anybody recall just what I read and what it will mean for DTAC 3G coverage?

http://pattayatoday.net/news/dtac-3g-plans-stalled/

So other than a small trial footprint, no roll-out to date for DTAC. I'm not sure if the article is correct re: DTAC's 3G frequency? It says 850 MHz, and that is what they are using for thir trial, but other articles indicate they would roll-out 2100 MHz. I purposefully avoided following the 3G struggles here over the last 4 years in order to avoid getting frustrated, but in reading some of the articles it does seem like DTAC and AIS, both foreign-'owned', are getting the 3G shaft while True and TOT have been allowed to build out their network, get lots of experience, cherry-pick customers thereby getting a huge head-start.

To the OP - very sorry that your thread has been turned into a pissing contest by certain members, I will try and be brief and give my opinion.

For your 2 weeks in Bangkok, stick with the edge connection or use any WIFI that might be available where you are staying. I can't see any point in purchasing any equipment for 3G that will be useless outside BKK.

For up here in Kalasin you options are either continuing with the Edge connection, or using CAT CDMA.

While CAT CDMA is alot faster than Edge (between 1meg and 2meg d/l for me), you will need to purchase a modem/dongle which I believe is around 4000bt, and you may even need an external antenna installed depending on your proxmity to the nearest CAT Tower. Then you enter into a contract at around 800bt per month which is billed to your address.

Personally, considering you will only be up here for a month I don't think it's worth getting the CAT CDMA connection, but thats your decision to make.

Totster :D

I have just got a TRUE 3g dongle in Chiang Mai however im finding the signal extremely poor even in areas i would expect coverage like Thapae gate and Central Airport Plaza. Right now i am in Thapae gate but my dongle is flashing green (EDGE signal available) however i'm unable to receive a WCDMA signal. I have connected to WCDMA at Rimping Ruamchok though and the signal there does seem to be stable. Is anyone else using TRUE 3g in CM having more success than me? Could my dongle be faulty? I also use AIS 3g and have found that service to be pretty reliable with blanket coverage of Chiang Mai.

Edited by MartinBKK

I have just got a TRUE 3g dongle in Chiang Mai however im finding the signal extremely poor even in areas i would expect coverage like Thapae gate and Central Airport Plaza. Right now i am in Thapae gate but my dongle is flashing green (EDGE signal available) however i'm unable to receive a WCDMA signal. I have connected to WCDMA at Rimping Ruamchok though and the signal there does seem to be stable. Is anyone else using TRUE 3g in CM having more success than me? Could my dongle be faulty? I also use AIS 3g and have found that service to be pretty reliable with blanket coverage of Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the update. Is their a PrePay option for AIS 3G(assuming that I have a compatible modem)?

Thanks for the update. Is their a PrePay option for AIS 3G(assuming that I have a compatible modem)?

Yes it is prepay. You just load your sim card with credit in the usual way(can purchase top up card in stores like 7/11, Telewiz or use an ATM). Then contact the call centre to purchase a 3g package. The lowest package is 500mb for 150baht plus VAT. This is good for 30 days from the date of purchase.

Hope this helps.

Yes it is prepay. You just load your sim card with credit in the usual way(can purchase top up card in stores like 7/11, Telewiz or use an ATM). Then contact the call centre to purchase a 3g package. The lowest package is 500mb for 150baht plus VAT. This is good for 30 days from the date of purchase.

Hope this helps.

Useful thanks. Now just have to wade through my collection of modems.

..and there I was thinking I might find some info here as to the best (short term) mobile (possibly on a phone) internet package, just as I want, similar to the OP, however...the replies, arguments etc are pitiful.

Thanks a lot,

MH

Edited by MHayward

..and there I was thinking I might find some info here as to the best (short term) mobile (possibly on a phone) internet package, just as I want, similar to the OP, however...the replies, arguments etc are pitiful.

Thanks a lot,

MH

Feel free to ask questions, most here are happy to try and answer. In general it is ideal if you can provide as much detail as possible: application (smartphone, usb/aircard in a pc, tethered phone as a modem), budget, locations, duration, usage, voice requirements etc. If your application is smartphone related I did start this thread, Smartphone Service Plans.

There's a ton of great information here but most of it is scattered across dozens of similarly-titled threads.