Smartphone Service Plans

lomatopo

I was hoping to gather fisrt-hand details re: Smartphone users and the service plans they use. (I don't have a plan yet but will add all the plans I know about.)

Service Provider

Plan Name/Description

Pre-paid or post-paid

Price/month

Contract length, if post-paid

Voice: allowance (min.), price/min. over allownace

SMS/MMS:allowance, cost per over allowance

GPRS/EDGE: hours? MB? unlimited? price per min or B over allowances

3G: hours? MB? unlimited? price per min or B over allowances

Rate overall satisfaction 1 (bad) - 10 (perfect)

3G coverage: 1 (bad) - 10 (perfect)

How much data do you use each month? in MB.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Service Provider TOT 3G

Location Metro Bangkok

Plan Name/Description Hot Surf

Pre-paid

Price 299 THB/30 days

High Speed Served:

Voice: 1.5 THB/min

SMS 2 THB/SMS

GPRS/EDGE: Not sure if this is available

3G: 500 MB

Variety Served:

Voice: 1 THB/min

SMS 1 THB/SMS

GPRS/EDGE: Not sure if this is available

3G: 1,000 MB

There must be more to these two packages as it looks like VAriety Served is obviously better.

Specific Terms and Conditions

1. Calling Rate* (Baht /min.) and SMS(Baht /message/mumber.) used for TOT3G Network and Roaming network

2. All rates are included VAT.

3. The above service rates do not include international call, international roaming, audio text, special number services and other service fees such as reconnection fees, promotion changes fees etc. Regarding download fee will be levied by each service provider, if the subscriber desires to enroll in other value-added services or download services, it is imperative that he/she studies service terms and conditions of each service provider thoroughly before subscribing to the service.

Service Provider True

Location National with limited 3G coverage

Plan Name/Description Hi-Speed Net SIM, "Volume Based"

Pre-paid

Price 129 THB, top up 50 THB get 30 days

Voice: 1 THB/min, any network, 24 hr.

SMS/MMS:1.25 THB per SMS or MMS

GPRS/EDGE: 100 MB/30 days, 0.01 THB/KB over allowance

WiFi: 5 hours/30 days, 0.01 THB/KB over allowance

3G: 200 MB/30 days

Notes: not sure how much the SIM costs, but when you buy the SIM you do get 3g:100 MB; EDGE/GPRS:30 MB and WiFi: 1 hour

There are other service levels available with this pre-paid Net SIM service. The 399 THB level with 500 MB of EDGE/GPRS and 3G, with 10 hours of WiFi seems like a good package to try out True before potentially comitting to apost-paid contract?

Terms/Conditions

Service Provider: One-2-Call from AIS

a pre-paid Smartphone package promotion on until Jan. 4, 2011. You can layer this plan on top of your existing One-2-Call package, for a 15 baht one-time fee.

Plan Name Smart Phone Package

National GPRS/EDGE coverage

Pre-paid

Price 199 baht/ month

Free 100 megabytes GPRS, 6 baht/megabyte is charged for each subsequent megabyte (call rate is inclusive VAT). Free! 100 SMSes, 2 baht is charged for each subsequent SMS.

Free 50 MMSes, 3 baht is charged for each subsequent MMS.

Calls to all networks is charged1 baht/minute for 24 hours (Call rate is exclusive of 7% VAT).

200 baht top up, credit extending validity by another 30 days

Valid until May 31st, 2011. Not sure what happens then. One-2-Call tend to be pretty liberal with honoring promotions forever.

One-2-Call also have these GPRS/EDGE packages, time or MB, which can be added to existing or new pre-paid accounts.

Edited by lomatopo

• 1 month later...

Service Provider DTAC/Happy Internet SIM

Location: National GPRS/EDGE coverage, small 3G trial (850 MHz)

Plan Name/Description: A pre-paid SIM, targeted at internet access, includes calling plan, add data services on top, renewed monthly

Pre-paid or post-paid: pre-paid

Service Packages

Note: you can layer these data packages on top of any DTAC/Happy SIM

Package Service fee/Month

20 hours Online sometime, under one hour a day 99 Baht

30 MB Chat and upload pictures sometime 99 Baht

3 GB Best fit for smartphone 650 Baht

Unlimited Online and download all day all night 790 Baht

• Users who have Happy internet SIM activated from now until 10 January 2011 will automatically receive free 5-Baht call credit, 30 days validity period and service fee rates upon receiving SMS confirmation within 24 hours. These rates valid until 30 June 2011.

• Service fees for domestic usage (including VAT):

• Happy internet rate is 0.26 Baht/minute.

• Call to any network is 1.07 Baht/minute, 24 hours a day.

• SMS 2.14 Baht/message and MMS 5.35 Baht/message. SMS Length: English up to 160 characters/message; Thai or Thai & English up to 70 characters/message.

• Calling rates above are for domestic numbers only, and do not include international calls, international roaming or services such as Audio Text and other premium number services.

• Happy internet SIM users will receive extra validity of 100 days when refill through normal channels , in addition to the validity period received from refill made through every channel. The extra 100 days will be granted within 24 hours after each refill is complete. Please note that the extra 100 days cannot be transferred to other users or numbers. The validity benefit can be accumulated up to a maximum of 365 days starting from the refill date.

• Happy internet SIM users will receive free 300 minutes of Happy internet (validity period is not extended) which are valid for 30 days from the day the SIM is activated. This benefit will be automatically granted to users upon receiving SMS confirmation within 24 hours after activation. Please note that users entitled to this benefit must maintain a balance of more than 1 Baht and a validity of at least 1 day.

• The remaining free Happy internet minutes cannot be used after the specified period. Any Happy internet usage after the period and any minutes exceeding the free 300 minutes will be charged at 0.26 Baht/minute (including VAT).

• 4 weeks later...

Service Provider: One-2-Call from AIS

a pre-paid Smartphone package promotion on until Jan. 4, 2011. You can layer this plan on top of your existing One-2-Call package, for a 15 baht one-time fee.

Plan Name Smart Phone Package

National GPRS/EDGE coverage

Pre-paid

Price 199 baht/ month

Free 100 megabytes GPRS, 6 baht/megabyte is charged for each subsequent megabyte (call rate is inclusive VAT). Free! 100 SMSes, 2 baht is charged for each subsequent SMS.

Free 50 MMSes, 3 baht is charged for each subsequent MMS.

Calls to all networks is charged1 baht/minute for 24 hours (Call rate is exclusive of 7% VAT).

200 baht top up, credit extending validity by another 30 days

Valid until May 31st, 2011. Not sure what happens then. One-2-Call tend to be pretty liberal with honoring promotions forever.

One-2-Call also have these GPRS/EDGE packages, time or MB, which can be added to existing or new pre-paid accounts.

+1 I would avoid their time-based packages where they charge by the hour or minute. Your phone will easily go through that in a couple of days. Better to have the charge by the MB,such as the smart phone package. Either the smart phone package, or unlimited internet, which is 650 baht.

I think they could provide more MB, but they know that would be good for the consumer. The service is acceptable and you get it anywhere. I used it primarily in Phuket and Chumphon.

• 4 weeks later...

very informative and helpful. too bad, old-fashioned THAIVISA does not have a button like almost all other Forums, where you can "THANK" someone for a contribution (or am I only too stupid to see it maybe ?)

LOMATOPO should actually be a MOD in this Forum, he/she provides such a wealth of helpful information.

and on the other hand, the actual MODs here even want to make u believe that 3G does not exist in LOS......

• 2 months later...

I live in the metro-Bangkok area and since January I have been using both True 3G and iMobile 3GX in a smartphone application. Here is a brief review of my experiences with True to date. I will follow this with a similar review of iMobile 3GX.

I have a Samsung Captivate (a Samsung Galaxy S variant), unlocked, rooted, running a 2.2.1 custom ROM, Paragon RC6. This model supports three (3) 3G frequencies: 850 Mhz, 1900 Mhz and 2100 Mhz

I have a True 3G, pre-paid Hi-Speed NetSIM, and a 399 baht/month package. The basic SIM cost 59 baht, the first three months included an extra 500 MB of 3G, and a base of 500 MB 3G. You also get 100 MB of 3G as part of the SIM platform. So 1.1 GB of 3G for the first 3 months and 600 MB of 3G per month after that. 3G coverage is quite good; I am in the eastern suburbs (Bang Phli, Dokmai, Prawaet, Ram2) often and have always had 3G coverage. In building coverage is also fantastic as expected. Mobile coverage, in an automobile, is excellent while coverage on faster moving vehicles like the BTS/SARL is less so as you have to wait 30 sec. to lock on a new tower. No 3G coverage in the MRT. The True WiFi is OK but I do experience occasional problems logging in and with drop-outs. When it connects it is fine. The are True WiFi hotspots in a lot of places. The 2G coverage seems fine, although perhaps not as fast as AIS/One-2-Call 2G? Voice quality is fine, calls are 1 baht/min 7/24 to any/all networks, SMS delivery/receipt seems reliable, 1/25 baht/SMS. Voice ad SMS are deducted from your balance; you do not get any free allotments with these plans.

True does not have nationwide coverage as do AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy (fewer base-stations, their original concession may not have called for 100% coverage?), so I have ended up in spots in Thailand with no True GSM coverage (unless perched on the roof, pointing the phone in just the right direction :) ), so you may want to carry a back-up SIM from DTAC/Happy or AIS/One-2-Call? Data rates vary, average 3G is 2.5 Mbps down, with a peak of 5.25 Mbps, 2G average is 175 Kbps down.

Billing and customer service are above average. Account status inquiries are average to below average with no web-based account management. You can get a account usage status by sending “b” to 9789. There is a SIM Toolkit widget but it does not work for me. I cannot originate or receive an MMS, despite countless attempts at APN configurations.

My primary application is smartphone and mobile connectivity; I have multiple broadband connections in the home. I have tested tethering, sharing the 3G across 3 WiFi devices. I’m not so sure a smartphone makes the best router, but it worked fine. My average data cost is 50 satang per MB, factoring in 3G, 2G and WiFi.

Overall I would rate the service 9.0, out of 10. Obviously this rating only applies to my experiences having access to 3G coverage.

post-9615-0-68226900-1306036364_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-00554300-1306036380_thumb.jp

For those outside of 3G area's i have found that DTAC is the best. I am now using DTAC's infinite on the faster series.

see here...http://www.dtac.co.th/page/?id=250

350 mins free calls, 400 sms, 75 mms, and unlimited internet (edge, it states 3g ready)

perfectly acceptable Internet speed for browsing etc.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.manager.co.th/mgrweekly/viewnews.aspx?newsID=9540000074187

{Google Translation}

The strategy to absorb the initial break out year TOT 3G customers.

4 allows the MVNO bombing campaign hard cell.

* Tiger's gun as the T's introduction of 3.9 G technology before anyone else.

* The club will open a brand new MCOT Ving fight.

Among the games between the parties rally True.With DTAC, which poses no end to it.In the final battle, black 3G mobile services in Thailand even recognize it.It's not very often full.The brand of choice and is one network that is equally hot.In particular, the strategy out of the mid-year.The conference opened with a test TOT 3G mobile services.The speed and strength with a 3.9 G before the competition to create awareness of its brand recognition among consumers, and profit before other customers.

Interesting issues.In terms of strategies to serving customers in the form of MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator), the TOT, or the type of wholesale telecommunications services and resold services.Commission meets the definition of broadcasting.Business television and Telecommunications Commission of Thailand (CAT college.) That are currently raging through creative forms of package and price to attract customers to the top now.

"As 3G services continue to occur in the business-to-many.One of them is a provider of a MVNO which is present in the network of TOT were 5 and 1. I - Mobile (brand items - Mobile) 2. Loxley (i-Kool) 3. Co., 365. Communications News 4. M Consultants Asia (MOJO), and 5. IEC (IEC) is a creative marketing to attract customers, they are strong.The package of services and prices. "

Special offers IEC 2000 MB 200 Baht

This is a package that focuses on design-based applications.Lifestyles of users and a low price strategy is the core of the provider or the operator's network, TOT 3G participating Big Event "was - challenge - try" The i-mobile (i - Mobile. ), i-kool (i - Kool), IEC (IEC) and MOJO (Mojo) and listen to the customers in unison.

Highlights package of the IEC that the concept of Smart Sim monthly use of the slogan that I have my wireless network to load the promotion from 1 January -30 June 2554 organized the promotion as a group. Smart Sim for use with a mobile phone, smart phone that supports 3G for prepaid.Starting from 199 baht per month to 599 baht per month with the condition will be charged based on a second Voice VDO Call Roaming round in a minute.The monthlyPromotions that use Smart Max is suitable for use with the Aircard, iPad, Notebook, Router, which supports 3G data free of charge 200-300 baht per month with HSDPA 7.2 Mbps of 2000-4000 MB per month and free SMS. 20-40 times per month.

i-mobile free info 100 MB.

The i-Kool brand of camp, Loxley.Package promotions, i-Kool Real 3G has two form factors: 1.500 MB Price 199 baht for a 30 day 2.1000 MB 199 baht for 60 days without charge in the 3G category, such as Voice Video. Call and SMS 1.5 baht per minute, the package price of 99 baht and 199 baht ZEASON rates in 3G DATA 1 is 1 baht per minute per MB, and the Main Wallet with 50 and 199 Baht

I-mobile 3GX the camp, designed as two separate packages, prepaid 500 MB 99 baht a free promotional package for free.100 MB worth of usage with the call.1 baht per minute transmission of Baht 0.50 per MB Video Call 1.50 per minute, SMS 2.00 per SMS, Validity 30 days to activate the SIM card from now - in September 2554 as a pre-paid multi-person. Choose from 50, 100, 300, 500 Baht for 5, 10, 30 and 60 days and free data 30, 100, 500 and 1000 MB respectively.

MOJO Home Video on the Net 199 Baht

Brand MOJO 3G camp Mojo Mobile Ltd. is a network marketing company, M Consult Asia Co., Ltd. with New Promotion selling points is the All - in - one on the net price of 199 baht is worth the money. from 199 baht for 45 days DATA 0.2 U.S. / MB rate call. 2 baht / minute VIDEO CALL 2 Baht / SMS 2 baht / SMS calls. between 007 and 008 through the TOT rates and special conditions.When activated, it will have 199 MB in the bag, the bonus is 30 days after the Activate event, use the Data only available up to 1,000 MB + 199 MB.

MCOT monitor at 3.9G.

TOT is not only a network of concessions aimed at the crossroads of 3G or 3.9G base camp, MCOT has shown activity as well.News reports indicate thatIn July, the service provider under the name Ving MCOT to launch 3.9G service charge starting at 20 Mbps 899 per month to a maximum speed of 100 Mbps in the Promotions will be. In package 100 Mbps 899 per month for 1 year (If the application is the first 30,000 people) for the service area is expected.Can begin to work in Bangkok.In July 2554.

Highlights of the service.Not only has the speed - in the extreme.It is wireless, so you can play anywhere in the signal.The price is the same level as the ADSL service is, however, has disadvantages as well, that is, users must buy a new Router or receiver.And service areas outside Bangkok.May have to wait until next year.But if you want to use the service to register it.If you have space for 400 people to register MCOT will install the signal in that.

TOT 3G Aaktawแrggss!

TOT 3G services across the country open to the speed of 42 Mbps and a new awareness about the brand of TOT 3G systems, 3.5G (HSDPA / HSUPA), or HSPA data transmission at speeds of 7.2 megabits per second download. 14.4 megabits per second.And further develop the HSPA + or 3.9G and 3G customers also were stolen from the competition early.

"I think the open market during the TOT 3G is the perfect rhythm.Because of the high-growth market.The outlook for mobile data increases.Due to the use of social (Social Network), smart phones and tablet device on.Will see the launch of the new models come out with a wave of popularity and are continuing to buy.The T plans to market to the people of Thailand TOT 3G mobile phone subscribers in August, "Arnon over lunch the President of the TOT.

The highlight of the 3.9G system reduces the time "waiting" and moments of happiness to the online life of Thai people all over the country even more effectively.Response behavior.And lifestyles of consumers today are not much better.Meanwhile, it also enhances the quality of life of society and the Thai people for the better.The Thai people have the opportunity to be faster.TOT is the time to install the network.

Was installed in Bangkok metropolitan and 14 provincial economy, the installation is completed within 720 days to 180 days and installed all over the country within a year, the TOT is ready to take Thailand into the mobile phone. 3G is expected around the middle of the fourth quarter of 2554 Thais will have a full 3G mobile services in 18 provinces.

The three provinces surrounding Bangkok Shopping and Chonburi, Rayong, Thailand 14 provinces include Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Phitsanulok, Surat Thani, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen Nakhon Ratchasima Nong Khai and Ubon Ratchathani.Then, by mid-2555 will be available in all provinces across the country.

• 1 month later...

AIS launched 3G service today across 1,884 base-stations in major metropolitan, and provincial locations. The service operates on the 3G (WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA et al) 900 Mhz bandwidth.

It looks like both AIS/post-paid and One-2-Call/pre-paid customers can enroll in the new packages. The pricing, especially in the 1 Gb sweet-spot is quite aggressive, and the fair-use limit at 3 GB (unlimited) is well thought out.

Links:

Promotional flyer: http://www.mxphone.com/update/10568/AIS-3G

New main page: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/

Coverage maps: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/

Pricing/Packaging: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/package/

Settings: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/handset/

It seems like the B799 package (on the 4th link above) with unlimited download (shaped to 384k after 3GB) does not include any free phone calls or SMS's. Is that correct?

There is an iPhone "Max" package on the 1st link above with unlimted (but shaped after 3Gb of downloads) download for B839 which includes a fair amount of calls/SMS's/MMS's. "Max Plus" also includes unlimited AIS WiFi for B899. That compares to the current TrueMove (soon to be eliminated and replaced by TrueMove H) iPhone package for B599.

AIS Max/Max plus include 200 more free calls than True (500 vs 200), and AIS shapes to 384k whereas True shapes to 256k, but B300 more per month (50% more) is significant.

It seems like the B799 package (on the 4th link above) with unlimited download (shaped to 384k after 3GB) does not include any free phone calls or SMS's. Is that correct?

Yes. And I think you could layer that on top of any pre-paid or post-paid plan.

I think we need to wait a few weeks to see any updated AIS/One-2-Call post-paid and pre-paid promotions and plans.

There is no question that the True iPhone post-paid Free-Size plan is the benchmark for price/performance: 599 baht/month (before 7% VAT), 300 minutes, 300 SMSes, 50 MMSes, unlimited WiFi, unlimited EDGE/GPRS and 3 GB (fair use) of 3G. However it should be noted that that plan is due to expire tomorrow (31 July 2011). Obviously it might be extended, and any customers under contract should expect to have that for at least 12 months from sign up.

The AIS iPhone, and other devices, packages are higher priced perhaps owing to wider availability/coverage? And perhaps True will raise their prices to match?

• 2 weeks later...

On Tuesday August 16, 2011 DTAC launched 3G service on 850 Mhz on some 400 base-stations across the metropolitan Bangkok area.

http://www.dtac.co.th/3g/

http://www.dtac.co.th/3g/coverage.php

Due to the political and telecommunications regulatory environment this service may not be “legal”, which is a term that is flexible here. DTAC has positioned it as a part of their overall GSM concession which includes voice and data. I suspect it will stay in place although DTAC’s plans to expand the service across more regions (an additional 2,000 base-stations) is probably on-hold, if only due to equipment import issues?

The service is available to both pre-paid (Happy) customers, service can be layered on to any Happy pre-paid SIM

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281&Itemid=265〈=th

(Note: the first red box has unlimited plans for the month: 790, week: 299, and day: 49, the latter two perhaps options for visitors? The second box has monthly recurring volume-based plans. The 3rd red box has time-based plans.)

http://www.dtac.co.th/3g/internet-package.php

And post-paid (contract) subscribers.

http://www.dtac.co.th/3g/package.php

http://www.dtac.co.th/page/?id=250

Existing subscribers of unlimited 2G data plans get 3G now as part of their plan.

FWIW, I purchased a SIM for 49 baht (I’m not even sure which promotional SIM I got, but be careful as they all have different calling/messaging plans. Although you can probably change that?)

I installed the SIM and automatically received an activation SMS.

Add enough money (top-up) via scratch cards, 7-11, ATM, etc. to cover your desired plan.

Then I subscribed to the 350 Baht/1 GB monthly plan by service message: *104*27# SEND

The service has been good for me. I like a provider like AIS/One-2-Call or DTAC/Happy as they have the best coverage for GSM voice and data (2G). True doesn’t have quite the reach into some areas of Thailand in my limited experience.

If your smartphone supports 850 Mhz 3G and you spend a significant amount of time in the metro-Bangkok area then DTAC might a new option for you to consider?

For DTAC you might consider the current SIM promotion "Kong Kra Pun", http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=37〈=en

Available as a new SIM for 49 baht, or you can change an existing pre-paid SIM to this "plan" for 49 baht (can be done on-line using e-services). It has a flat rate 1 baht/min for voice calls 7/24 all networks and 1 baht/SMS. It needs to be activated by 31 August 2011 (not sure how strict they are on this as you see expired promotional SIMs for sale everywhere and those can be activated past their stated "activate by" date, IME), and it may end on 31 December 2011 (not sure how accommodating Happy is re: extending promotions?). You can layer a 3G data plan on top of this SIM/plan/promotion.

There will probably be some new similar promotion in September.

Hi,

There is still no 3g coverage at Pattaya. Only Bang Saen and Koh Samet.

If you have like me subscribed in the past to the unlimited EDGE+ plan, you need to cancel it. To do so there is no simple code, you need to go through a voicemail service and type in the required numbers (choices) so that's how I did cancel my plan:

dial *300

Then press the following numbers each time the voice talks:

1 for english language

1 cancel plan

1 confirm cancel

Then after about 5 minutes you receive a SMS confirming your cancellation:

You have unsubscribed to your GPRS Package 799B Free EDGE/GPRS and Wifi UNLIMIT. If you want to subscribe again, please dial *138*79#

So now you can subscribe to the 3G/EDGE/Wifi plan by dialing this simple code:

*133*24# this is for the unlimited 3G (in fact limited to 3GB and then the speed drops to 384kbps) for 30 days at 799B

And then you'll receive a SMS confirming your subscription to the new plan.

Here are some other useful codes you can use at any time:

To know what plan you have, dial *139*3# and you'll receive a SMS with details of your current plan

Check your balance: dial *121# important since you need to have enough bahts credit in order to join the plan at 799B per month.

If you want to have your username/password for Wifi hotspots, dial *389# you'll receive your codes by SMS, your username is your phone number and your password is autogenerated it is only 4 numbers. Anytime you're at a restaurant or somewhere, look if you see 3BB hotspots on your phone, if you do then you can connect with the username/password provided, it's included in the plan.

Enjoy Edge :-)

Hi all,

I've been browsing this forum for a couple weeks and there's some great info. Thank you all. I am hoping for some info on what may be available for me in Surin Province in the near future. I have been working in Bang Saen for the past 3 years, with decent internet, either wireless or LANcable, but will be moving back to Prasat, Surin in Oct. I have a Dell laptop (4yrs.old) and would like to buy a Smartphone for internet access to my computer. There are no land lines in my village, so I'm looking for solutions to internet access at my house. 3 years ago I was using AIS thru my Nokia with a GPRS connect at about 4kb (Kb?). I could make a cup of coffee waiting for the next page to load :(

I see DTAC is working in my area, but AIS is spotty. I like the new Samsung Galaxy S2 and feel it would be a good fit for me but I'm on a budget, so I can't really afford a lot of investment in thing that won't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been browsing this forum for a couple weeks and there's some great info. Thank you all. I am hoping for some info on what may be available for me in Surin Province in the near future.

While AIS have launched 3G in some locales including the Khorat area:

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/#3

I think the best you may be able to will be GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE), so you may not need an expensive smartphone.

Do you currently have a GSM phone? Can you share the make/model? You may be able to use this to sample the various 2G offerings: True (which just added 2G to most base stations "in the northeast"), AIS/One-2-Call which claims "100% coverage for EDGE+", and DTAC which generally gets good 2G reviews and has 90+ national coverage.

Do you know anyone in this new location who is tech savvy you could speak with? Otherwise it may be best to go, talk to locals to see what they use/like, then try those to see what works best for you.

If your current handset does not support GPRS/EDGE then you could buy an Aircard (~1,500 baht) or even a used handset.

Bottom line: I would hold off on any expensive purchases until you can verify what's available. An Aircard may end up being the best available solution.

Hi all,

I've been browsing this forum for a couple weeks and there's some great info. Thank you all. I am hoping for some info on what may be available for me in Surin Province in the near future.

While AIS have launched 3G in some locales including the Khorat area:

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/#3

I think the best you may be able to will be GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE), so you may not need an expensive smartphone.

Do you currently have a GSM phone? Can you share the make/model? You may be able to use this to sample the various 2G offerings: True (which just added 2G to most base stations "in the northeast"), AIS/One-2-Call which claims "100% coverage for EDGE+", and DTAC which generally gets good 2G reviews and has 90+ national coverage.

Do you know anyone in this new location who is tech savvy you could speak with? Otherwise it may be best to go, talk to locals to see what they use/like, then try those to see what works best for you.

If your current handset does not support GPRS/EDGE then you could buy an Aircard (~1,500 baht) or even a used handset.

Bottom line: I would hold off on any expensive purchases until you can verify what's available. An Aircard may end up being the best available solution.

Thanks Lomatopo. I appreciate all the good advice you have on this Forum and have learnt quite a lot from the posts, lately. Reading thru the Forum, I see Afarang, Thaddeus and Muatremix are in Ban Kruat near Prasat. I will be Near Gan Thuat(sp.),Surin about 40-50km further East and they seem to know a bit about local phone/internet, so hopefully I will be able to hook up with them after I get there.

I need to buy a new phone, as mine is about 5 yrs old and many features don't work anymore. I am looking to buy a phone that I can use for several years and will be able to keep up with the spread of 2-4g and GPRS/EDGE. I want a touch screen phone and feel that Quad band will be necessary if I go to other counties. So, I'm looking but not buying until I find the right phone for me.

DTAC seems to have the best coverage in my village and there is a tower about 2-3km away. AIS is ok but I don't know if there are any other services like CAT, TOT or True. I don't know much about Aircards, so I will browse the Forum and go to the DTAC shop in Chonburi mall to see if I can get some answers.

Thank you, again and I will do some checking tomorrow. Cheers :jap:

Reading thru the Forum, I see Afarang, Thaddeus and Muatremix are in Ban Kruat near Prasat. I will be Near Gan Thuat(sp.),Surin about 40-50km further East and they seem to know a bit about local phone/internet, so hopefully I will be able to hook up with them after I get there.

Oops. I forgot about CAT CDMA. Sorry. There have been some reports that they are not taking on new customers, but they are committed to offering the service at least until December, 2012. They, now Real Move H, are supposed to transition to 3G, presumably 850 Mhz so not sure what that might mean for you going forward.

I use a D-Link DWM-156 Aircard, ~ 1,600 baht which supports 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G and all GSM data bands (for GPRS/EDGE).

http://www.totalaircard.com/

Reading thru the Forum, I see Afarang, Thaddeus and Muatremix are in Ban Kruat near Prasat. I will be Near Gan Thuat(sp.),Surin about 40-50km further East and they seem to know a bit about local phone/internet, so hopefully I will be able to hook up with them after I get there.

Oops. I forgot about CAT CDMA. Sorry. There have been some reports that they are not taking on new customers, but they are committed to offering the service at least until December, 2012. They, now Real Move H, are supposed to transition to 3G, presumably 850 Mhz so not sure what that might mean for you going forward.

I use a D-Link DWM-156 Aircard, ~ 1,600 baht which supports 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G and all GSM data bands (for GPRS/EDGE).

http://www.totalaircard.com/

Well, my trip to Chonburi shops/mall for the DWM-156 was fruitless. I looked on line for it and found the D-link website and it says the new DWM-156 supports GSM 2.5g, 3g, 3.5g, 3.75g, but nothing about 2g. Anyway, I did find the Huawei AIRCARD 3G/2G USB Modem E1552 which will work with AIS, DTAC, TOT, etc., so I may try this option.

Thanks for all the info :)

• 2 months later...

Looks like TrueMove-H decided to match the post-paid "Free size" iPhone package that the "old TrueMove" offered.

I received an SMS from "TrueMoveH" today that appears to list identical features that I have now (http://truemove.com/iphone/en/price.html) for the same B599 per month :

- 300 free calls,

- 300 free SMS's,

- 50 MMS's and

- unlimited True WiFi.

I can't find this new iPhone free-size package on http://www.truemove-h.com/ web site, but I'm not good at navigating the web site in Thai.

I'm curious if the "unlimited" 3G+ will be capped at 3GB/month like the "old TrueMove" free-size iPhone package, or at 2GB/month like the other TrueMove-H packages.

Here's the SMS I received this afternoon. Can someone with better Thai reading skills verify that it is as I described in bold above, please?

post-33251-0-22001700-1320238167_thumb.g

• 1 month later...

Hope I'm in the topic area on this question. Living in pattaya, going to be here for 6 months to a year, needed better wifi then the building offered.

Went to tukcom bought a ubs aircard, TRUEMOVE3G, with isim card worth 500MB.

Several days later it was out, couldn't top up from website. Went to TrueMove suboffice to talk to someone. was able to top up by purchasing a card

through them, 300Bht for 500MB plus extra 250MB.

questions are how long does this last for, can I check my time used, seems everything is in Thai, only time I was able to check was when I was out of time.

which then directed me to website to load more, but was told at the office that can't load via credit card, but to buy cash card at 7-11. Ok can do that,

but should I buy second card in case it runs out when I'm in the middle of something?

Also do they have a plan where its unlimited usage, I thought I saw a 899bht for unlimited use per month, but the truemove office says no.

Learning the Thai way...I think...help...

Can you share any details? Your device? Were you getting 3G speeds, before you ran out of time/money?

My best guess is that you applied for a time-based plan. You really should get a volume-based plan.

Plans generally last for 30 days or until you exceed the terms.

http://www.truemove.com/en/data-package-volumnbase.htm

Don't be confused that it says "Hour".

Maybe the Unlimited plan for 699 /month (3G capped at 1 GB; 384 Kbps after)?

Also, Truemove iPhone plans... POSTPAID... http://www.truemove.com/iphone/en/price.html

Truemove is transitioning to Truemove H; Trumove H has perhaps better plans, esp. for iPhones, but AFAIK they are still POSTPAID only, but appear to have very relaxed residency requirements, at least in some shops.

http://www.truemove-h.com/index.html

Trumeove and Truemove H operate 3G on 850 Mhz.

AIS/One-2-Call also have 3G coverage in Pattaya, on 900 Mhz 3G

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/internet-package/

Edited by lomatopo

Can you share any details? Your device? Were you getting 3G speeds, before you ran out of time/money?

My best guess is that you applied for a time-based plan. You really should get a volume-based plan.

Plans generally last for 30 days or until you exceed the terms.

http://www.truemove....-volumnbase.htm

Don't be confused that it says "Hour".

Maybe the Unlimited plan for 699 /month (3G capped at 1 GB; 384 Kbps after)?

Also, Truemove iPhone plans... POSTPAID... http://www.truemove....e/en/price.html

Truemove is transitioning to Truemove H; Trumove H has perhaps better plans, esp. for iPhones, but AFAIK they are still POSTPAID only, but appear to have very relaxed residency requirements, at least in some shops.

http://www.truemove-h.com/index.html

Trumeove and Truemove H operate 3G on 850 Mhz.

AIS/One-2-Call also have 3G coverage in Pattaya, on 900 Mhz 3G

http://www.ais.co.th...ternet-package/