Phyathai Area With Toddler

travelnguy

I will be in Bangkok for about a week with my 18 month old son. I am staying at the Abloom Serviced Apartments in Phyathai (Sanam Pao BTS). I know that Central World and MBK are only a few stops away, but how long will it take to get there? Is pushing a compact stroller around (really compact, less than 3kg) realistic in that area?

Are there any local libraries? What about indoor playgrounds? Lastly, are there any restaurants that I should avoid or should go to? He is not a picky eater. I just don't want him to get sick.

I will be alone with him until his mother joins us for the last 3 days. Any other recommendations?

Cheers

I don't think I've ever seen a stroller being used in Bangkok. I can't imagine trying to push one around on the terrible sidewalks, where there's lots of obstacles in the way - food vendors, trees, phone booths, flyover stairs, motorcycles zooming past you, etc. You also have to step off and on the sidewalk frequently, back and forth onto the road to get around obstacles. It seems that in Bangkok, sidewalks are hardly designed for "walking." :unsure: I guess it's worth a shot to bring the stroller and try it, but I am skeptical about how useful it will be. Good luck!

Stroller will be helpful moving around the BTS stations and walkways (if you're planning in exploring the MBK, Siam and Central Chitlom area. I would not recommend walking long distances on the side walk.

Most major department stores have a fairly safe indoor play areas for kids. Just ask around and you will be able to find it.

I don't think I've ever seen a stroller being used in Bangkok.

We use ours all the time and I see loads of people pushing them around bangkok every day. They can definitely be used in the central areas as the pavements aren't quite so bad, but still you may still find yourself in a few tricky situations. As someone else mentioned, good for getting around the BTS stations also. It's also true that you probably wouldn't want to walk for long distances with one - but that can be said about walking in Bangkok anyway, with or without a stroller.

I’ve lived in the Sanam pao, Ari area for 2 years with my 3 year old kid. The pushchair is a pain but what’s the alternative? Most people will give you a hand getting on and off the bts, I rarely use a taxi to get to mbk or paragon as they don’t like to go anywhere near Victory Monument.

There’s a public library by Victory Monument on Ratchawitti somewhere, a 20 minute walk from Sanam Pao .Don’t know of any indoor parks normally just go to the outdoor park at mo chit bts.

Never been ill from eating at any restaurants in the area either and there’s a couple of nice ones on phaholyothin 2.

We use ours all the time and I see loads of people pushing them around bangkok every day.

I stand corrected. :) It makes sense that people use them in the CBD and in more touristy areas. I guess I just don't see those areas where I live.

Do you see Thais using strollers, or is it mostly foreigners? I always wondered about that. I've asked a few of my Thai friends if people use strollers in this country, and they told me that no, but obviously they can't speak for all Thais.

Do you see Thais using strollers, or is it mostly foreigners?

A bit of both really, not paid enough attention to get a good estimate of proportion of Thais / non-Thais. If I had to say one or the other, I'd probably say a higher proportion of foreigners use them.

One tip, by the way, don't be fooled by strollers on sale in Thai shops which look good, but are cheap. We've been through about 3 strollers which looked great on the shop shelves but broke within months. Better to pay the extra cash for a good, reputable brand like McLaren.

After our two kids came along the same stroller made the grade and even though the little one is now 2 she still likes the stroller. The streets take some getting used to and we mainly use it in supermarkets after parking the car but I never took to the city with it that I can remember. Playgrounds for kids are in every major shopping centre and Thai's all love kids and become instant baby sitters with Farang kids. Land of smiles especially where kiddies are concerned.

There's a nice park just north of Chatuchak Weekend Market called Suan Rot Fai (Railroad Park). You can rent bikes for riding, there's a playground and lots of area to run around. It a retire golf course. You could rent a bike with a baby seat or push the stroller - good roads for bikes and walking.

There's also Chatuchak Park across the street, there's a big playground there. In that same area is the Children's Museum.

Central Chitlom has a nice inside play area by the toy department

On top of Central Bangna is a water park that has pools that are good for toddlers to splash around in.

Have fun