Ratchada Hotels Recommandations

ABCinSG

I will be heading over to Bangkok and plan to stay in the Ratchada district. It has been 2 years since I was last in that district, and I do like it, however I do not know much about the hotels there. Let's just say that the last time I stayed in Ratchada, I stayed in the Fortune Hotel (by Accor), and I don't have a good impression on them.

Back then, a friend did say that Palazzo was a great place to stay, and reading the positive reviews here does boost the confidence, though there was a thread saying that it got raided due to some shady business a few years back. How is it now though?

It is currently my first choice as it is not too far from RCA, which I keep hearing about but never actually having the time to visit. (Always on business trips)

Checking Agoda, I have seen quite a few good deals as well, so, well, to cut myself short, what would you guys recommend? My budget is at most THB 1,500 (girl would not let me spend more...)

When my buddies from the US came they stayed at the Swissotel and loved it, but it might be out of your budget range I thihnk they paid around 2500 thb. There are couple of other hotels next to Palazzo like The Emerald and Hip Hotel, but those are usually full of tourists. In my opinon I would stick with Fortune.

When my buddies from the US came they stayed at the Swissotel and loved it, but it might be out of your budget range I thihnk they paid around 2500 thb. There are couple of other hotels next to Palazzo like The Emerald and Hip Hotel, but those are usually full of tourists. In my opinon I would stick with Fortune.

My wife is the manager of Ratchada resort and spa. It's opposite RCA, behind Fortune on soi 3. Give her a call (khun Joy) I think a comfortable room is about 7-8 hundred. 022459868

My wife is the manager of Ratchada resort and spa. It's opposite RCA, behind Fortune on soi 3. Give her a call (khun Joy) I think a comfortable room is about 7-8 hundred. 022459868

Last I checked, RCA wasn't anywhere near Fortune.

Edited by whybother

Ok, let me tell you that you are complitely right about Grand Mercure Fortune Hotel, there is no way i am going to use them again, the building and area are ok but the staff is a complete mess capable of ruining even the more well planned traveller stay, there is another smaller hotel in the area, called Atrium Boutique which was charging just around a thousand baht a night, rooms are smaller but classy and the staff actually knows what they are doing, it wins against the Fortune big times!!! ;)

I mostly stay at The Emerald, paid 1800 last 2010 visit and room was just refurbished, were told we were first customer after refurbishing :D

Short walk to MRT and fast/inexpensive taxi ride to Swampy, excellent buffet breakfast.

Tried the nearby Palazzo once, prefer the more upscale Emerald though...

Edit: The Emerald full of tourist???

Never saw many people nor any rush at the lobby.

Edited by tartempion

Best place - better than Fortune, Emerald, Swissotel, Grande, et al., a bit above your price is Amanta behind the Esplanade - they will deal at Baht 2200. If you want near RCA (walk across the road) only Raddisson but not at 1500 Baht. Baht 1500 you will get if away from Ratchada but near Rama IX near Town in Town (same name hotel) or SC Park. Both at 1500.

I'm confused about peoples references to "RCA". The RCA I know is between Rama 9 and Petchaburi, nearly underneath the toll way. There are night clubs opposite (down the road from) Fortune, but that is not RCA as far as I know. It's Ratachada Soi 4.

I'm confused about peoples references to "RCA". The RCA I know is between Rama 9 and Petchaburi, nearly underneath the toll way. There are night clubs opposite (down the road from) Fortune, but that is not RCA as far as I know. It's Ratachada Soi 4.

Actually this is RCA - Radio City Avenue. With all the night clubs etc.

I stayed at Palazzo for 1 month many years back. Loved the place. Good value for the money, quiet and friendly. I also stayed at Emerald and hated it. Too touristy. Palazzo gives you direct access to restaurants and bar inside the Emerald, so no reason to stay there.

Actually this is RCA - Radio City Avenue. With all the night clubs etc.

RCA is Royal City Avenue.

http://en.wikipedia....yal_City_Avenue

http://www.discovery...venue__rca_.asp

http://www.bangkok.c...tchadapisek.htm

"Location: Situated between Rama 9 and Petchaburi roads near Thonglor. RCA "

"Location: RCA Block C, Rama 9 Road "

A google search of Ratchada Soi 4 gives no reference to RCA.

A google search of Radio City Avenue only gives reference to a Radio City in Silom.

And eating at Soi 4 regularly, and going to Royal City Avenue occasionally, I know they both have lots of night clubs, but.they are two different places.

Edited by whybother

Last I checked, RCA wasn't anywhere near Fortune.

So sorry oh wise one. What I should have written was Ratchada soi 4.

is the manager of Ratchada resort and spa. It's opposite RCA, behind Fortune on soi 3. Give her a call (khun Joy) I think a comfortable room is about 7-8 hundred. 022459868

Do you mean 700-800 baht? That sounds wonderful, and I will give her a call first. Intentional or not, the location is great, I do want to check out RCA as I have not been there before.

if you lower your standards because your girl allow's you. If you know what i mean i suggest to go as low as you can go but in style.

Sea of Love mansion just 10 minutes walk from mrt

http://www.seaoflovemansion.com/

Thank you, but erm, I don't quite understand what you mean? My girl just doesn't want me to overspend on hotels. Something to keep in mind for real budget trips, I guess, but not with her. I don't think she wouldn't be too happy with the name or decor of the hotel.

Ok, let me tell you that you are complitely right about Grand Mercure Fortune Hotel, there is no way i am going to use them again, the building and area are ok but the staff is a complete mess capable of ruining even the more well planned traveller stay, there is another smaller hotel in the area, called Atrium Boutique which was charging just around a thousand baht a night, rooms are smaller but classy and the staff actually knows what they are doing, it wins against the Fortune big times!!! ;)

I love the area and convenience. But the staff and room are okay at best. And okay doesn't justify the price. Not to go into too much detail, they stared at my girlfriend like she's some 20 baht hooker when she wanted to come over to stay at my room, and they made a mistake with the charging of my credit card, essentially charging me 1.5 times the price before realizing and refunding me the extra owed.

And I found a better room in Silom at close to half the price, well, sans cheap disposable bathroom slippers.

Another interesting option: http://www.theminiho...hada/index.html

Looks very stylish and not expensive either, but not many facilities.

BTW, another popular clubbing area is Ratchada soi 4, and there's also some places behind Esplanade that are good.

This does look really cool, I would think my girl would fancy the hotel if stays over!

Thank you everyone for your help, I have a much better idea now! I would appreciate more comments/suggestions, but please do note that optimally, the price of the room should be around 800 baht (as per my girl's "request"), but if it's a little over, all the way to 1,200-1,500, I might consider based on location/quality. Anything above however, is a no-no!

There are loads of hotels near Huay Kwang MRT about 800B up. Most are love hotels of various sorts. A brand new place off Pracharatbampen right after the new Toyota dealer is called CMYK. Promo is B600. There is another round the corner, #5 looks nice. Might start about 1000. Then there is Ratcha City across #5 and the 7-11. Looks very Pokey. For Racha, this is a decent area as it has food and is safe. I live in this area, I've grown to like it.

Further up Racha there are a number of more upscale hotels (north) as well as across the street with all the big entertainment venues. I find much of what is near the entertainment venues gritty and I doubt you'd find it pleasant to walk about here or eat. My hunch is that the hotels support the entertainment.

Can anyone draw me a picture of what the inside of these mega entertainment centers look like and what goes on there? How about the smaller places in this area? I'm sure there is a disco, bars, massage. Giant fishbowl you check a friend out for an hour or the night or are women sort of roaming about? Are these places weekly events for Thai men or a splurge? Any places farang friendly, with a bit of Thai? Any openly OK with foreigners?? Really curious how the Thai Hi-So half lives.

Another interesting option: http://www.theminiho...hada/index.html

Looks very stylish and not expensive either, but not many facilities.

BTW, another popular clubbing area is Ratchada soi 4, and there's also some places behind Esplanade that are good.

I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere cheaper in this area but the place I've suggested above seems good value for money going by their website - as long as you don't need a pool and the location's ok for you - and certainly wouldn't offend your lady. If it was me I think I'd pay a bit extra and stay here.

I live opposite and can confirm that as stated on the website it's a 10 minute walk to either the Thailand Cultral Centre or Huay Kwang MRT stations (or a B20 motorbike taxi ride). Being based right on Ratchada Road is also very convinient. I can also tell you it's only been open for about a year, so everything should still be nice and new. And one more thing, if you do stay here, is that I strongly recommend the cheap and delicious open-fronted restaurant opposite, just over the footbridge, open until around 04:00 if you do make it out clubbing and need some food before bed!

I have know idea about Ratchada Resort and Spa, but their website looks ok and the location's not too bad. Have a look at the two links below. The first has some reviews of the Ratchada Resort and Spa (only 4), with an overall rating 3/5; the second reviews Mini Ratchada, with a rating of 4/5:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d1062299-r84389364-Ratchada_Resort_and_Spa_Hotel-Bangkok.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1602235-Reviews-The_Mini_Ratchada_Hotel-Bangkok.html

Good luck, and enjoy Bangkok.

I used to live at BU Place, about 10 mins walk from Fortune Tower/Phra Ram 9 MRT but there is also a regular (free) shuttle service. I stayed there again last year on returning to Bkk to move into our present condo. Good facilities, loads of shops, quiet (speed bumps to stop the boy racer motorbikes!) and some fantastic eateries available 24 hrs on the small sois around it - including some of the best jim-jum available in Bangkok! (confirmed by my friend's wife who is from the originating cuisine area!).

I think their current promotion includes free wif fi as well, here's the link: http://www.buplace.com/promotion.php

Internet booking reduces prices and I cannot speak highly enough of all the staff, from cleaners and security staff up to room management - some of my friends still say there on there visits here also.

Good luck to you and your mrs on your trip.