Getting Rental Deposit Back

PROBLEM: My landlord is refusing to give me a substantial amount of my deposit. HISTORY: As with many rental units, one is required to put down a two months deposit along with the first month's rent. And following my contract, I gave the landlord a one month notice; and followed the contract and did not pay for the last month. Before I vacated the place, I made sure I repainted the one wall white again (I had painted it a different color when I moved in) - with a better quality paint. I made sure I left the place spotless. After living there for three years, the curtains needed to be dry cleaned (I never used them); the white spray painted closets (that were once varnished wood) had some worn area on them...just normal wear for living there. It has been three months and the landlord is refusing to give my deposit back saying she has to add up the bill. Part of the expense is ME paying for the cleaning of the curtains; giving the two bedroom apartment a fresh coat of paint. In other words, I am paying for her setting up the apartment for the next tentant. It looks like over 10,000 baht is going to be deducted from my 32,000 deposit. Totally ridiculous and vicious. During the three years there I never complained to her personally about the rat problem I had in this expensive apartment; or the daily attack of the ants; or the rusty brown water that came out of the spare bathroom tub faucet. If anything had to be fixed, I fixed it myself. I had requested twice to have a screen door put in so I would have more of a breeze go through the apartment (and keep the neighbor's cat from coming in. She ignored the request. ----Is there anything I can do to keep from being screwed? My friends warned me about this particular ethic Thai group that will squeeze the last baht out of everyone. I tried to follow the rules and this is the screw job I get. One answer would be to go to a lawyer, but then there is the cost. The next time I move out of a rented condo, I will not pay for the last two months though the contract says one.

I lost a deposit of about 70,000 baht in the previous house we rented. We even had lawyers involved but the owner just put fantasy prices on everything and the lawyer said there was nothing we could do about that, it was the owners right to choose who he wanted to redecorate the place regardless of cost.

Lesson to be learned about renting in Thailand: When it gets to the end of your lease make sure you withhold rent to match the balance of your deposit because chances are you will never see it again.

Yeap, I think you lost this. I heave never been able to get a deposit back. I stopped cleaning and painting when I moved out and took into consideration that I would not get the deposit back when I move in. i think best to think of this as lesson learned and forget about it, maybe call her once a week and keep pushing you might get something back. thinking about it i did get 1/2 of one deposit back about 5 years ago. I kept calling the lady every Monday and Friday and then finally she gave me some cash.

Good Luck!!!!

Without doubt and depending on the deposit amount the best way foreword is to go and see a lawyer, ask him to send the landlord a letter to return the deposit in full or his name with be foreworded to the tax office to see if he's paid tax on the rental income which is calculated at 15%.

There's no point in arguing with these people it’s better to show the rental agreement to the tax office.

This is the link to the office of the consumer protection board.

http://www.ocpb.go.th/

Unfortunately it’s all in Thai, so you will need your lady to guide you through.

This is the guy who started it all after loosing his 4th deposit out of the five houses he’s rented.

I'm finished talking to the Thai landlord and landlady, it's pointless. How can you argue with people who just smile and ignore you?

So far I have paid 3,000 baht in fees for the letter threatening legal action and for the lawyer to file a report with the local tax board. The landlord must pay 15% tax on the monthly rent and it doesn't look like they have so that will set them back 30,600 plus whatever penalties are imposed from the tax office.

Maybe next time they’ll return the deposit?

So far I have paid 3,000 baht in fees for the letter threatening legal action and for the lawyer to file a report with the local tax board. The landlord must pay 15% tax on the monthly rent and it doesn't look like they have so that will set them back 30,600 plus whatever penalties are imposed from the tax office.

Maybe next time they'll return the deposit?

I'm about to be in the same position, the tax report is a really good idea.

Maye I will try to 'sell' my landlady the rental contract in return for my deposit!