Ripped Off At The Gas Pumps.

Pattaya_Fox

This is a letter taken from this week`s Pattaya Mail.

I was in the Pattaya Tai (South) Road Shell station Aug 6 or 7. This station is next to the CAT Telecom Offices. I observed that the employees are not resetting the pumps after filling motorcycles. This type of sale is often under 100 baht. They then proceed to fill autos with the previous sale amount still showing on the pump. The auto driver pays the full total, but does not receive the full amount of petrol that he paid for and the attendant pockets the difference that was previously collected from the motorcycle sale.

While I watched this happening, what appeared to be a senior employee collecting the money looked at me and rudely siad, "What you looking, you have problem?"

I would guess that this is very profitable for this money collecting employee. I would suggest an undercover observation to see this practice happening.

Shell did not respond to the above email.

A Man.

Yes that attendant system is an overhead thats for sure.

Easy for a gang to get a man in there and start taxing.

I was in the Pattaya Tai (South) Road Shell station Aug 6 or 7. This station is next to the CAT Telecom Offices.  I observed that the employees are not resetting the pumps after filling motorcycles.  This type of sale is often under 100 baht.  They then proceed to fill autos with the previous sale amount still showing on the pump.  The auto driver pays the full total, but does not receive the full amount of petrol that he paid for and the attendant pockets the difference that was previously collected from the motorcycle sale.

While I watched this happening, what appeared to be a senior employee collecting the money looked at me and rudely siad,  "What you looking, you have problem?"

I would guess that this is very profitable for this money collecting employee.  I would suggest an undercover observation to see this practice happening.

A Man.

The other scam is to charge more than the pump shows: wait until another car is waiting on the other side of the pump, give the change to the first customer, reset the meter to zero before the customer notices the shortage. Then the customer cannot show the actual amount on the meter.

Always check your change and stand in front of the reset handle if there is another car waiting to use the same pump.

A tank full of petrol/diesel is a weeks wages to these guys.

Thanx for the advice. Usually only fill the bike there and the car on one of Sukhumwit stations. But will for sure as Dave says say (if scam spotted) say YES to that I have a problem with it - just to make noise :o

I was in the Pattaya Tai (South) Road Shell station Aug 6 or 7. This station is next to the CAT Telecom Offices.  I observed that the employees are not resetting the pumps after filling motorcycles.  This type of sale is often under 100 baht.  They then proceed to fill autos with the previous sale amount still showing on the pump.  The auto driver pays the full total, but does not receive the full amount of petrol that he paid for and the attendant pockets the difference that was previously collected from the motorcycle sale.

While I watched this happening, what appeared to be a senior employee collecting the money looked at me and rudely siad,  "What you looking, you have problem?"

I would guess that this is very profitable for this money collecting employee.  I would suggest an undercover observation to see this practice happening.

A Man.

Maybe I'm a bit ignorant about motor-cyclists, but what m'bike uses the same pumps as a car?

Answers please, on a postcard.

All correct answers will win a prize.

A Man.

Maybe I'm a bit ignorant about motor-cyclists, but what m'bike uses the same pumps as a car?

The ones that run on unleaded fuel

And mine`s a pint :o

A Man.

The ones that run on unleaded fuel

And mine`s a pint :D

Thought my Honda Wave was a bit sluggish on diesal :o

When I put petrol in the car, I always get out the car and ask them to fill it. I found it

the best way not to get ripped, The price to fill is always give or take the same. Now I

feel that the system I am using stops we getting ripped

In days gone by, I would pull up at a station and ask for 300bht, I didn’t take me long

to realise what was happening, they are putting in 250bht and keeping the last part

This scam has been going on for years.

I caught an attendant red handed at one of the stations on Thepprasit Road several years ago.

The reason I was suspicious was because the previous time I had filled up there, the tank being almost empty, the charge came to more than the capacity of the tank. The attendant and his colleagues became aggressive at my complaint but I still went in and complained to the manager. That was a complete waste of time and it seemed quite clear to me that he knew full well what was going on.

The next time I went there I got out of the car just as the attendant was about to put the nozzle in. I stopped him just in time and pointed out that there was 85 Baht already on the meter. He looked at me with disdain as he trudged back to the pump and reset it.

I always used to just hand the attendant the keys and let him get on with it, but now I always get out and check the meter before unlocking the cap.

I am occasionally asked if I have a problem and provided the meter is set at zero I tell them: "No?" :o